I play mostly hardcore. Since there are all sorts of genres now, I more specifically play music like All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence, Remembering Never, etc...

But I am looking for a decent/good head that would be best suited for hardcore along the lines of say...Outbreak, Set Your Goals, Sinking Ships, Black My Heart, Hoods etc...

Budget: 300-400...maybe I can puch a lil more.

Suggestions?
Last edited by harrypito at Mar 6, 2007,
Yo bro I like your style of music, those are all bands I listen to and play on my JSX, but I think that's a little out of your price range.
I will tell you, and everyone else on here will aswell, that basically your only option is a used 6505/5150 head.
Your breakdowns will be insanely heavy, especially with the dark voicing of the 6505, it also has more gain then you really need, but it can come in handy for that style of music for sure.

The only downpoint of this head is the clean channel, which lacks for sure, but for that style of music, you dont even need the cleans.

Thats basically the only option I see for your price range.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
your never gonna get premier hardcore tone with 400 bucks.
a peavey 6505 is 1300
plus a cab = 600 buck
-------------------------------------
almost 2k
Thanks guys.
Well, what would be a good/decent head for hard core? Somethin under a grand (1000)?
Mesa is more expensive than 6505.

Dude your best bet if you want a head is to look at B-52. Thats really all you are going to be able to find in that price range. A lot of people call B-52 the "poor mans Mesa". But I havent ever heard anything bad about them. Never played one...but I heard one and yeah it sounded pretty good. Check them out on Musicians Friend because last I saw they were like 50% off.

I think that your best bet is to save up for a 6505 though...you really will be happier in the end. But if you dont think that will happen I would seriously look at B-52...I mean you could get a half stack for like $600-$700
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Ive tried B-52s and they are actually good! But they are solid state. Guess I will push up a lil more on the money.
b-52 arent solid state!
theyre all tube
at least the "mesa-clones" are!

anyway...you seem to make a lot of money...
you went from a budget of 300-400 to 1000 in 20 mins...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
B-52 LGs are Solid State,
The ones you are refering to are the ST and AT model(s)
And those would run me 400-700...
And no, I have to work my ass off real hard for the extra money. It's take like a month though. But worth it.
+1 for the B-52 all tube, if you can get the money. If not, go for a Roland Cube 60, and buy a foot switch with the extra money.
REDBLOODHOTSUGARCHILISEXPEPPERSMAGIK
Cubes aren't an option. I have tried them, and they really don't catch my eye as much as a head. Plus it wouldn't be enough for a venue that'll hold 300-400 people. Sure I can mic it, but I'll pass on that. But the B-52 LG-200AS 200W Stereo Solid State Guitar Amp and B-52 ST-60A 60W Tube Guitar Amp seem good. I'll try them out this week.
Alright, sounds good.

But just out of curiosity, why are you passing on micing your amp?
Honestly, I would prefer to own a stack, rather than having to mic a combo or something less to be heard. Has anyone mic'ed an amp over a PA at a venue? Maybe some personal experiences would change my mind on it.
Well if you already have a cab, you can get a 6505 head for like 600$ used, and that is the head that basically half those bands you named actually use to record and gig.

Honestly man, dont "settle" for an amp because you'll get it a month or two sooner, in the end you'll be kicking yourself, especially when you hear a 6505 cranked.

With the 6505, you'll have one of the meanest amps out there, perfect for those genres, extremely gig worthy gear to boot. You'll blow away a venue of 400 with a cranked 6505 half stack, trust me.
The breakdowns will have people droppin' left and right, the twosteps will have people dancin their asses off, the solo's will tear it up aswell.

Thats my two cents bro, save up, its worth it.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Just because something is 50 watts tube and a stack, doesn't mean it's gonna be louder than a 50 watt 2x12 combo.

I prefer combo's, really. Sure, they don't look as good, but they're a lot easier to get places than a stack, and in reality just as loud.

But I mean, whatever floats your boat, as long as the microphone that's micing your amp is decent, (Shure SM57) running through the PA is no biggie.
if there are 3-400 people at your gig regardless of whether you have a combo or a stack it will be in your best interest to mic your amp,,,,if not for volume purposes at least for mixing
I have a 4x12. Old Peavey Model...

Has anyone heard or tried this head?

Peavey Supreme XL Guitar Amp Head
Last edited by harrypito at Mar 6, 2007,
First: No matter if you have 112 or 412 they are going to mic your amp just so it actually sounds good. I mean how else do you think they get your sound to come from their PA system? I dont know about you guys but everywhere I go there are speakers all over the place to ehance the sound.

Second: You have successfully realized that saving up is your best bet....so go for the 6505. And if at that point you really cant find one you can afford...then look at the B-52 AT 100's or whatever they are. The "rectifier clone" someone called it....

And whoever sugested cube 60....Do you honestly think that a cube is fit for anything more than a practice amp?? If you answer is yes then you must love sounding like crap...sorry but cube blows.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
I would look into a Fallen Angel if you can try one, should have enough gain for you!

But in that price theirs not much.
Quote by False_God
I would look into a Fallen Angel if you can try one, should have enough gain for you!

But in that price theirs not much.

You just had to do it...

Thread starter....the 6505 is a balls to the wall gain monster that actually has good tone. Fallen Angels are processed crap. Its basically the next step up from a spider III, but probably with worse effects. I say probably because I didnt use the effects....I generally dont use effects. It probaby does have enough gain....but the tone just sucks.

You are going to want tube for your genre of music. So stick with 6505 or B-52. I dont personally like the XL in any way....but its not my call....go play it. But I think you will agree...
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Mar 7, 2007,
Which particular Fallen Angels have you been listening to?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
6505 would be a real good choice, but everyone uses them. They're an awesome amp, don't get me wrong. If ya wanna try something different, look at an ENGL Powerball or Screamer... I've got a Screamer and I love it.
I've been listening to the Fallen Angels that suck....so all of them haha! Look I know your in love with yours but truth is they aren't fit for anything more than practice amps...

I think ENGL is definetly out of the question here....way to expensive. Although I am in no way arguing the quality and greatness of them...

Also the 6505 wont make you sound like everyone else....a Mesa, or a Marshall JCM will. If you listen to Machine Head and then Brand New Sin you will find a huge difference in tone...and they both use 6505.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Thanks for the Suggestions guys...
I am gonna go for the 6505.
Thanks everyone.
I've been listening to the Fallen Angels that suck....so all of them haha! Look I know your in love with yours but truth is they aren't fit for anything more than practice amps...

You know you can get yor ears syringed for free on the NHS in the UK?

You are going to want tube for your genre of music. So stick with 6505 or B-52. I dont personally like the XL in any way....but its not my call....go play it. But I think you will agree...

I'm puzzled why you tore apart the Fallen Angel, then in the next sentence said "get a tube amp"

Last time I looked, 4 12AX7's in the preamp and 6 EL34's in the poweramp is more than a little tubey. No, it doesn't have the same kind of saturated, screaming pre-amp section that something like the 6505 has, the voicings not as modern and there's less gain. There's still quite a bit of it when all's said and done though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 7, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull

I'm puzzled why you tore apart the Fallen Angel, then in the next sentence said "get a tube amp"

Last time I looked, 4 12AX7's in the preamp and 6 EL34's in the poweramp is more than a little tubey. No, it doesn't have the same kind of saturated, screaming pre-amp section that something like the 6505 has, the voicings not as modern and there's less gain. There's still quite a bit of it when all's said and done though.

Ok I will rephrase. Get a GOOD tube amp. I am aware of what is tube and what isnt, thanks. However, its just a low end tube amp. As you said, it lacks in a few areas. Fallen Angel just simply isnt a "go to amp" for people. I know you like yours...infact I think everyone on this site knows how much you like it. I am not saying that every single person in the world will hate them. I am however saying that they aren't anything special. And they WILL NOT deliver what he is looking for.

Thanks for the syringe offer...but I think I know what I am talking about. The only time anything is wrong with my ears is when they hurt from hearing terrible tone....like from Fallen Angels.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Ok TS, listen here you.

I say you look into saving up your money. Good tone can wait, especially if your going to settle on an amp that is less than sub-par in comparison to others.

My suggestions.

B-52 AT-100: allt ube, ss rectifier (I believe) simple easy to dial EQ, awesome flexibility, and one hell of a bang for your buck power house. Im sure there are downfall but if you can find them, please, share.

Peavy 6505-5150: NOT the "+", your looking for an amazing dist channel, and cleans arent a big issue, a used 6505 is your bread and butter. Many artists swear by these amp's, know why? They deliver night in and night out. Possibly one of the hardest working amps in the metal industry, followed by the Recto's and JCM800's.

Speaking of JCM800's!!!

JCM800!!: Its a brutal amp, with an amzing gain structure, buy one used, and with the saved cash get your self on BADASS Overdrive to kick this thing into the next universe of gain! Stock 800 wont be as saturated as the first two amps, but what it lacks in dist. it more than makes up for in pure tonal bliss. This is a go to amp for hundreds of players, and it got to be that way because of its performance. Despite what some might say (Oh its only because it says "marshall on it".. Please...No one plays a shit amp for the name. No one.)

And finally. USED, buying a new amp is going to cost you and some of the used amps will be in better contrution years than they are right now.

This is alll opinion, so if you don't agree... Fine. Don't bother wasting your time telling me.

Ok and finally TS, SAVE YOUR CASH!!! Don't get suckered in to a cheap deal, if you want an amp thats going to deliver so so tone and a few years of ok-ness, go ahead, buy that whatever naem brand pos.. or save up for a few extra months, try out these amps, take your time, go in with your guitar, and plug in, go back more than once! REALLY shop smart, and buy the amp thats right for you. Shpping smart will make you a much happier person a few years down the line.

Hope this helped, and sorry for typing a book.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.