As a musician, I travel with my gear, going place to place. I own a Randall RG100SC (amp). It's not necessary to read all this...it's just going in depth about the issue, so if you don't want to, just go down to where it is numbered (1...2...etc.)

Here's my first problem...

The Randall likes to lose volume....that is... I'll be playing something, and then all of a sudden, there's nothing...no volume...just a low buzzing noise. Since I play with a drummer and we just play around because we don't have a complete band yet, it's okay, but when the time comes to play a gig, it's a problem. The amp pretty much decides when it wants to work and when it doesn't, plus it's kind of old.

Here's the other issue...

Since bringing the drums to my place is way too much of a hassle (Having to disassemble them, putting them in a car, driving up here, unloading, carrying them upstairs, and resetting them up gets annoying), I have to pack my Randall there...and that is a problem as well. The amp is pretty heavy and bulky (About 70 pounds and it's pretty big), and packing them down stairs and up them doesn't really help anything. So now, I'm after a smaller, more portable amp to take to my drummers, but there's some restrictions.

Basically, here's my problems.

1. My amp loses volume and only works whenever it feels like it.
2. The amp is too much trouble to pack around, so I'm looking for a more portable amp, but it has restrictions...

...Must be at least 50 Watts (so at least I can at least have a little more volume than my drummer)

...$500 is as high as I'll pay (Maybe $550 if it's a really good amp...money doesn't come easy to me though)

...A footswitch would be nice (since my Randall footswitch doesn't work anymore)

...Must be under 60 pounds (I had a tubed Marshall for a while, and it was very light-weight, but I don't remember exactly how much it weighed.)

I'd prefer either a Marshall, Peavey, Crate, Randall, or Line 6.

So that's about it... I'd really appreciate any useful input on these issues.

My style ranges from classic rock to Heavy Metal. I like to play a little blues as well...a few bands I listen to are...

Megadeth
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Lamb of God
Dimmu Borgir
Black Label Society
Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Judas Preist
Pantera
Rammstein
Slayer
Stevie Ray Vaughan

There's alot more, but I won't go too in depth

I didn't expect as much feed back as I've gotten...hahahaha. Thanks alot guys. I don't know how long it'll take me to get the money for my new amp (I'm looking towards either the Roland Cube, the Peavey Valveking (the 6505 is too costly), and a few more). I'm curious though....

Why hasn't anyone metioned anything about Crate amps? Are they bad? I was looking at the Crate GTD120. My brother told me Crate amps are okay, but not the best.

As for my permanent amp (For when I'm older and more experienced...I'm decent right now, with the sweep picking and tapping and all that), I've decided to get the JSX head and cabs. I've not heard or read a single bad thing about the amp, plus I'm really into Joe's music. As I mentioned though, money doesn't come my way easily. I'm about to make a purchase soon (just some strings, Delay pedal, wah pedal, stand, and some cables). Anyway, so before I get carried away, I just want to say thanks again.
Last edited by Skarr at Mar 7, 2007,
What type of music do you want to play?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by burn the stars
to get the most out of your money id go with line 6

Line 6 makes me cry. Please don't get a line 6, you will regret it lol.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so ive heard people say line 6 is good, and then ive seen others tear Line 6 apart.

why is it good / bad?
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
My style ranges from classic rock to Heavy Metal. I like to play a little blues as well...a few bands I listen to are...

Megadeth
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Lamb of God
Dimmu Borgir
Black Label Society
Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Judas Preist
Pantera
Rammstein
Slayer
Stevie Ray Vaughan

There's alot more, but I won't go too in depth
The effects on them are extremely digital sounding... I guess they're not quite as bad as a Marshall MG and their crappy tone, but they're pretty close...

I'd say get a Peavey 5150 combo if you can cause they're in your price range, but they way a lot more than what your max weight is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Line 6 Spider's are the ones to watch out for, their Flextones aren't bad, but for the price you can get much better. The spiders sound very digital, and you can get much better for the price, also stay away from Marshall MG's. They have to me, what I consider dead tone. Just no expression to what you're playing. (If that makes sense)

Personally, if you're into heavier stuff like metal, go for a Roland Cube 60, very nice amp, and very loud, and it's well below your budget.

If you're into not so heavy stuff, basically anything except metal, definitely go for one of the Vox AD models. Probably the AD50VT for your lower-weight needs.

You can order a foot switch for both of those amps, also.
REDBLOODHOTSUGARCHILISEXPEPPERSMAGIK
are those vox tube? and if the Marshall MG's are bad, what are some good ones? preferably tube?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
The Vox's aren't tube, they're hybrid, which basically means there's a pre-amp tube somewhere in there, and it sort of shapes the sound. I've heard replacing the stock tube with a Mesa 12AX7 really brings the amps great sound out.

EDIT: The all tube Marhsall's start out at about 1000 USD new, and include the JCM800, JCM900, and some other models I can't think of.

What's making you want a Marshall?
o no im not sure what i want haha. ive heard good things about tubes, esp. a lot of people say the MG's are bad, and i liked your description best so far. whats the difference between JCM800 and 900? and is a hybrid as good as an all tube?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) the JCM800 has lower gain than the JCM900.

Hybrid amps are NOT as good as an all tube, but they come relatively close, and for the money it's well worth it. Especially with all the little goodies that come with a Vox AD

i agree with MatrixClaw, go with the 5150/6505, they're great amps, and they fit your style of music (except for SRV).
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
i'm not a fan of most of the bands there but a fender blues combo is tube 30 watts but can get louder than most 50-150 watt lower range amps eg randall, ibanez line 6. its lighter than most and has a fantastic clean tone.

my bet is that with your amp problem is your lead doesnt like you anymore and the connections are screwing up. dish out on a more reliable one and you will be sweet
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
so ive heard people say line 6 is good, and then ive seen others tear Line 6 apart.

why is it good / bad?

To me, spiders=thumbs down

Line 6 vetta =