so if im playing something like this, string skipping, in C minor:

E--11-8------------------------8-11--
B----------------------------------------
G---------12-8-----8-12--------------
D----------------10-----------------

would i play that as hammer ons and pull offs, or all alt picked, or whats the most common way and such? i play it hammer on/pulled off now because its just quicker, would it make sense to work out the alt picked one too?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
well,,,,if paul were playing it, it would all be picked,,,,,sometimes with a drill,,,,,,
e|--11p8---------------------8h11-----
B|----------------------------------------
G|---------12p8-----8h12--------------
D|----------------10----------------------

Strict hammer-ons and pulloffs if you wanna get that gilbert-tone. On alternates its just slower and sound horrible.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by rokket2005
well,,,,if paul were playing it, it would all be picked,,,,,sometimes with a drill,,,,,,

Hhhhmmm... in Paul Gilbert's School Of Shred he always said things like "and I pull off here to give me time to get my picking hand to this string" when he did string skipping licks.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
you can do it either way, really. hammer on and pull offs is slightly easier, and as faz/mad says, will sound a bit more like gilbert.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gilbert plays those by picking one note or so on each string for accentuation, and this is an integral part of his characteristic sound. So you would probably play it something like:

e|--(pick 11)11p8-----------------------------------------------(Pick 11)8h11-
B|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------------(pick 12)12p8---------------(pick 8)8h12------------------
D|------------------------------------(pick)10--------------------------------

Or he might pick both notes on the G string.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Last edited by J.MitMetallica at Mar 7, 2007,