i'm in the market for a new guitar.
chances are its gonna be a strat or a tele
but what i ask is how much is too much to spend?
i have only been playing for 1 year
what price range should i look for?
500-700usd?
700-1000?
whats a good ammount to spend?
note: i want i guitar i can have for life
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
for 750 you can get a highway strat or tele. their american made with all those cool features etc
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I bought my "new" (not from a dealer, but unplayed) 2004 American Start on eBay for 550 shipped.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

listen, it does NOT matter how long you have been playing if you are looking to determine a price range. If your buying a NEW guitar that means you will keep playing, and if you buy a bad/cheap guitar, sooner or later you will want a better one. Just get the best one that you can afford now and it'll actually save money for you in the years to come. (on upgrades and new guitars.) if you have 1000 to spend on it, spend it, but spend it visely.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
^smartest thing ive heard all day
thanks dude
but now for the tough decision-
strat?
or
tele?
which has better tone?
better playability?
better versatility?
i want a guitar that can handle anything from muddy waters to hendrix to van halen
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
^reasons?
Quote by beeboshain
i have a highway one strat.... it cost me 700..... its an amazing axe. I would seriously look into buying a highway 1 strat or tele. I had only been playing for about a year when i bought it, and im pretty sure i'll never want to replace it. The only downfall of it is the pickups can be a tad bit noisy.
I personally like the tele for sheer personality but its really your own choice in the end. I'd say that go as high as you can afford and then stretch a little over and above to get a lasting guitar for life maybe
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
^
Yea but most people who are serious about their gear (including myself) will change any stock strat pickups atleast once (unless they come with noiseless ones or something). I did it twice, will probably do it again if I ever start playing it again after I got my PRS .

The highway 1's didn't impress me (the strats or teles) although I haven't played the new ones that were all upgraded and such. The ones I played seemed like cheap american strats or expensive mexican ones.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Make sure that you are happy with your amp before you spend all of that cash. And if you do need an amp, just get a MIM Strat and you will have plenty of money for a good amp.
^my amp is pretty good
its carvin belair
Quote by beeboshain
bump
Quote by beeboshain
a million bazilion dollars. for anything.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by Andras5soul
listen, it does NOT matter how long you have been playing if you are looking to determine a price range. If your buying a NEW guitar that means you will keep playing, and if you buy a bad/cheap guitar, sooner or later you will want a better one. Just get the best one that you can afford now and it'll actually save money for you in the years to come. (on upgrades and new guitars.) if you have 1000 to spend on it, spend it, but spend it visely.

so you say buying expensive equipment guarentee's that the player will keep playing? I don't see the logic.
dont worry
im gonna keep playing
thats not the issue
Quote by beeboshain
I don't think you can find a more versatile guitar than a Fat Strat.

I'm not a fan of the HWY1's, though. I've got a Deluxe American Strat, and absolutely love it. On the somewhat lower end, I also have a MIM '72 Custom Tele which plays really nice, itself. I'd recommend you go with the MIM in the $500 range, rather than the HWY1's in the $750 range. A lot of people here will tell you that they love those Highway 1's, though, so it's probably best if you try 'em out yourself. I felt a big difference between the Deluxe and the Mexi, but not so much with the HWY1 and the MIM, if any at all.

Play 'em, and go with your gut.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i got the hw1 tele their great and the necks are much smoother and higher quality then the MIMS
i played some highway ones and was not too impressed
Quote by beeboshain