This is an overview of a speech I'm giving tomorrow. If you love Pink Floyd you'll understand this, otherwise, you might be a little confused. Tell me what you think I should take out or add/

Intro (basis): Without theme, art is nothing. Theme is the one completely nesseccary aspect in art, and it all begins with a concept. Music is a form of art. When attached toa solid theme or underlying idea, or concept, the music transcends what is known as pitch and rythmn. Today, I'm going to show you the importance of theme in music through a demonstration of a well known concept album, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".
I. First, the circumstances surrounding the members at that time.
1. DSOTM
2. Syd Barret
II. Second, the lyrics.
1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond Part One
2. Welcome to the Machine
3. Have a Cigar
III. Lastly, the artwork.
1. Business Man
2. Reflection.
3. Consideration in retrospect.

Conclusion: In conclusion, the power of music, and art in general is only as effective as its theme and the circumstances surrounding the artist. I hope that this speech will cause you to think about the message your favorite band is sending you and to help find more thought-provoking music.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
It might be a little counterintuitive to start out a speach on WYWH by talking about DSotM. Then again, I don't know exactly what you're saying about it. If you're talking about the public response to DSTOM it would be alright, if you're talking about the meaning and how it relates to the meaning of WYWH, move it to the end.

Make the thesis statement a little more specific, and "through a demonstration" doesn't make sense when you hear it. Change it to "through an exploration" perhaps, or "using WYWH to demonstrate..." (without the preposition "through") It needs to not be wordy to be understandable when heard.

Make the conclusion a little stronger, IDK, it just comes off as a litle contrite, you're mostly stating the obvious in that first sentance. Say something a that takes more of a position, perhaps.

The content seems well organized... I don't know what you're actually saying about each so I can't say anything about that.

Good luck, dude.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Awesome, man.

Also, when you speak of Syd and SoYCD, you should mention how he showed up randomly while they were recording that. Would be great to add in. If you don't know the story I'm talking about lemme know, I'll be happy to say if it someone else doesn't.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
I was going to use DSOTM as the explanation of where the band was at that time. How it really put them into the spotlight, also causing the beginning of the stadium shows (thus the distrust of the music industry themes).
The visit by Syd was going to go in somewhere too. Actually, the speech was pushed to thursday (another tomorrow, I guess)/ Thanks for the thoughts/
This is a slightly revised version for me to pull at school tomorrow/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intro: Without theme, art is nothing. Theme is the one completely nesseccary aspect in art, and it all begins with a concept. Music is a form of art. When attached to a solid theme or underlying idea, or concept, the music transcends what is known as pitch and rythmn. Today, I'm going to show you the importance of theme in music with an exploration of a well known concept album, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".
I. First, the circumstances surrounding the members at that time.
1. DSOTM
2. Syd Barret
II. Second, the lyrics.
1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond Part One
A. Syd's visit
2. Welcome to the Machine
3. Have a Cigar
4. Wish You Were Here
III. Lastly, the artwork.
1. Business Man
2. Reflection.
3. Consideration in retrospect.

Conclusion: In conclusion, the power of music, and art in general is only as effective as its theme and the circumstances surrounding the artist. WYWH is universally regarded as one of the greatest recordings of all time, with its themes reoccuring constantly through new artists work, continuing its influence. I hope that this speech has at least made you think differently about your favorite Cd and the messages it sends.
I'm also going to handout a portion of the lyrics for some clarification:

Wish You Were Here Lyrics Overview

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Remember when you were young? You shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

(Gilmour, Waters, Wright)

Welcome To The Machine

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream?
It's alright, we told you what to dream.

(Waters)

Have A Cigar

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar,
You're gonna go far, fly high,
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it if you try;
they're gonna love.

Well I've always had a deep respect,
and I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic,
that is really what I think.
Oh by the way, which one is Pink?

We're just knocked out.
We heard about the sell out.
You gotta get an album out,
you owe it to the people,
We're so happy we can hardly count.

(Waters)
That looks great. Good idea on the handouts, too. A lot of your classmates probably won't have heard the songs. If you're talking about the album art, put on a picture of that too.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Um, especially for the relevence to Barrett, shouldn't you have discussion about the lyrics for WYWH (the song) also? I know the song wasn't intended to be solely about him, but it does make implicit references to him, and so helps your case about him being a theme.
that looks really good man

wish my school had cool assignments like that
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
My stance is pro-war. I am firmy pro-war for the following reasons: with the rise of the Nazi party, and Germany's recent use of violent and facist foreign policy, I believe them to be a danger not only to America but more importantly, a danger to the general ideals of the west and democracy. The way the German government has acted shows us that they do truly intend global domination and once the European countries fall the right tools and men will be available for an attack on our homeland; the United States of America. It is these reasons and the general apathy the German government has for a high percentage of its own citizens that I feel a war is not only imminent either way, but overall beneficial for the safety of our own citizens if executed as soon as possible, and as intelligently as possible.

This is for my US hitory class. Can't find my flashdrive so I'll copy it off here tomorrow. Please, admins, don't delete this yet.