Page 1 of 3
so i was in this wicked car accident the day before New years...

some drunk chick was goin down the highway the wrong way.. head on collision at 70mph.. i broke both legs, fractured a wrist, punctured a lung, and broke all my facebones (not wearing seatbelt and no airbag).. oh well im alive! and i got $100,000 out of it all..

so im investing $95 grand and using 5 to buy some shit for my guitars..

i currently have a Jag-Stang, and some Peavey semi-hollow ive named Claire ... im also workin with a classic Crybaby Wah and a Fender G-DEC..

but lemme get to my point..

I want to use this $5000 to get me a new amp (single cab prolly, and a head) and some sorta effects pedal workstation (dunno what else to call it).. im also gettin lost wages from my job, so ill have more than just the 5gs to spen.. thats just what i gave myself to look around with.

im kinda fond of Fender, but heard Marshall was a good brand for amps. Id like a pedal that i can really tweak my sound, and somthing thats got a wah/expression pedal built on so i can double up on that with my crybaby.

Im open to any suggestions.. ive got a month or so before i can really get up and walk around, so ive got plenty of time to think.

EDIT:
as my name suggsts.. im more a classic rock kinda guy.. so im lookin for that a clapton/beatles/greatful dead/pink floyd kinda sound.. and i dont need a new guitar, cause i just got my jag-stang last month and i love my old peavey.
oh and thanks to all those who hoped im doin well.. i am and am currently on crutches after two months in a wheelchair
Last edited by hippie_cune at Mar 7, 2007,
get single effects. and try orange amps
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Wow man! Hope you're doing okay. I'd suggest a Diezel. Or a Vintage Marshall/Fender (Hell both if you can afford it) and a few of the Line 6 Modeler pedals(Delay, Modulation, Filter).
yea...hope you get better

and about the effects
look into the boss gt-8
its supposed to be really good
and has everything you could ask for in it

but in the long run
maybe single effects would be the way to go

about the amp
you should try one of the new marshall vintage modern amps
they're great amps

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'd spend 2k on a Mesa/Boogie half stack, 2k on a PRS guitar, and 1k on a Gibson Les Paul studio. =)

Just thinking about that makes me want to take out a small loan. >.<

Good luck dude and hope everything works out for you.

EDIT: I see you didnt really say what type of music... so above is just my dream. =p
Last edited by lostfuze at Mar 7, 2007,
It all depends what kind of sound you're going for.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably get a Dr. Z Prescription ES with the matching cab, a Mesa Boogie Mark III, and maybe a few vintage effects with whatever I had left. If I wanted a new guitar, I'd probably drop the Mark III and get an HSS Strat in Cherry Sunburst (it's a gorgeous guitar).
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
hows ya face now?

$5000? damn. can i borrow $199 please?

fender amps suck at distortion, like metal and shit. go with marshall.
What genre do you mostly play?

I recommend Orange, the rocker or thunder-verb

awesome amps and you can get most tones/genres with that amp alone^^

and a Jekyll and Hyde too *nods*
Quote by deluxity
look for an used marshall jcm 800

agree, marshall sexy and loud

Pick out a really nice les paul to keep it company
i broke both legs, fractured a wrist, punctured a lung, and broke all my facebones

Dude, that sounds like a total disaster.
I hope you get better.

And as for amp I think many of the brands post here are the ones you should look in to such as

Marshall
Mesa/Boogie
Orange

But once you can walk again, I think you should try each and every head/cab combo of those brands, and find one of your taste.
F*cking hell, hope you're alright. Though on the other hand; all of that probably heals well anyway, right?

So now you're a frigging lucky bastard =P

I'd say, give us a genre... but as far as top of the line heads goes: Diezel, Marshall, Mesa-Boogie, Orange, Dr. Z, ENGL, Hughes & Kettner...

Have a look around, though about the cab, I'd say a Marshall 1960A
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

i wish that happened to me, getting hit by some drunk person and then getting that much money out of it. lucky man. lol
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Glad to hear your O.K. there, bro. I say get a Gibson Silverburst Les Paul, and a Diezel VH4 head with a Diezel 4X12 cab.... that actually might be a little more, but hey! That's be the rig, man... that'd be THE rig.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
You should donate the $5,000 into a charity for kids living with a terminal disease.

hahahahahaha

nah get a Mesa.
I'd buy a bunch of single stomp boxes (I like Boss) once you've settled on an amp.
I'd recommend:
- An EQ
- A noise suppressor
- A couple distortion pedals (DS-2 and a metal one maybe?)
- Phaser (PH-3 is nice I think)
- Tremlo
- Wah
- Chorus
- Whammy (Digitech Whammy is pretty nice)
- Delay (Try the DD-6 out )

If you're ever thinking about live gigging, how about a decent powered mixer and PA system?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
You weren't wearing a seatbelt in a car with no airbags? Christ, I couldn't care less what you buy with your money, you f*cking your face up is just as much your fault as hers.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
By a Mesa Dual Recto and a PRS 22. Only get the triple if your gigging large venues. Dual and triple are the same amp just the triple has more watts. That should come to about 5 grand.

Holy Shit. Stupid party animals. I'm not a big fan of Party Girls. They care about nothing but the next beer/cigrette/or good time. What happend to the girl who hit you?
wow, that's some crash. glad you're still in one piece.

what type of music do you mostly play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Screw our recommendations. I'd just go out and play as much stuff as humanly possible. Personally, with $5,000 to spend, I'd get a Rickenbacker 330, a '52 Reissue Telecaster, a Vox AC30 and a '58 Bassman Reissue. But that's just me; I've been playing a long time and I know what I like.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ that too. But my guess is that if he's only looking at fender and marshall, that he can get a little help being pointed in the direction of some of the lesser known brands. Any recommendation I make I normally give seven or 8 options and then mean for the threadstarter to get out to try them anyway...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know, Dave. You're my hero I'm just a huge believer in hands-on experience. Also, I don't know how long this guy's been playing. $5,000 seems like a lot when you're playing on crappy equipment, but I know I've spent a lot of money on gear as a n00b that I would've never spent now, especially on things like effects. Hell, I'd probably spend about $2,000 of that money now, and then set the rest aside to spend on gear a year or two from now.
Hi, I'm Peter
You are in an interesting position....Sorry about your face. I would find a Vintage Twin Reverb and get it. then sweet Les Paul, Strat, Tele, or GRETSCH!!! Whatever suits your musical flavor...Then for effects get a Delay pedal (Boss' DD-20 or Line 6's DL-4). Then get a Vintage TS-808. Maybe a modded Blues Driver for soft stuff. Finish it off with Boss TU-2, Crybaby, and an Ernie Ball VP JR. mmmmmmm that sounds wonderful already!!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
I know, Dave. You're my hero I'm just a huge believer in hands-on experience. Also, I don't know how long this guy's been playing. $5,000 seems like a lot when you're playing on crappy equipment, but I know I've spent a lot of money on gear as a n00b that I would've never spent now, especially on things like effects. Hell, I'd probably spend about $2,000 of that money now, and then set the rest aside to spend on gear a year or two from now.

yeah. when you add up what you've spent on crap, it comes to a lot. I've probably spent close to £1000 on miscellaneous crap, stuff I thought were deals, etc., and now I'd just buy one kick-ass amp or guitar with it. Less stuff, but at least you aren't complaining that it sucks in two weeks.

ditto about hands-on experience. and you're my hero too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
More importantly than what to buy with 5k, what's your investment strategy with the 95k?

But since this is the guitar forum and not a financial planning site, I suggest buying a mesa boogie mark iv because it is versatile as hell and sounds frickin great. Yet, if you are into the truly marshall type tone, I'd get a Splawn. As for effects pedals, check out www.analogman.com some top notch stuff here.

That sounded like a nasty way to earn 100k hehe. Have a steady recovery
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Thanks too all who ask if im well.. i am. bones are healin nicely and im hoppin around on a crutch. My face looks completely normal now (except my nose is a bit straighter than it was before the wreck {thanks Docs!})

Im into Classic Rock.. Clapton/Beatles/G Dead/Pink Floyd

Ive been playin for lil over 2 years now, and decided to step everything up.

oh as for the finacial plannin on the 95k.. I have a finacial advisor (kinda) and im gettin into some money markets, CDs, some stocks, and some thing where i give banks money and they pay me back with a good amount of interest every 90 days. (i should make about 3,000 bucks a month)... and the stock market is low so now is the perfect time to get in! (thanks China!)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special 212.

Orgasmic.

ORGASMIC.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
You're into classic rock, have $5000 to spend. Go mad!

Hobble your way to every shop you can, and play anything that seems appealing to you, possibly look into some vintage gear too.

And for an amp, what wattage would you go for?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
100+ watts.

a buddy of mine said not to get the AVT(i think) series of Marshall.. he has one and wants to replace it.. comments?

also he said i should prolly try gettin a single cab instead of a stack.. comments?
Oh GOD no. You've got a lot of money, you can afford an amazingly decent amp, something like a Plexi head and a decent cab aswell.
Are you gonna' be playing loud enough to make the most of the 100watts?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by hippie_cune

oh as for the finacial plannin on the 95k.. I have a finacial advisor (kinda) and im gettin into some money markets, CDs, some stocks, and some thing where i give banks money and they pay me back with a good amount of interest every 90 days. (i should make about 3,000 bucks a month)... and the stock market is low so now is the perfect time to get in! (thanks China!)

Please get a Certified Financial Planner and not an advisor. Shit, anyone can be a financial advisor but you need a lot of education before becoming a CFP. Ya it might be kind of expensive getting one but it will be more expensive if your financial "adivsor" loses half of your 95K on some idiotic idea haha.

Also, you prob won't need 95k to be too liquid so I suggest longer term CDs, if you choose to stick with those, to get higher interest rates. If you go into stocks, make sure you do your research before buying or get a CFP to do it for you. One thing that you can do is just put some money into the S&P 500. Historically, it outperforms any of the stock traders by 10% (13 to 3% respectively). You have a nice bit of cash on hand so don't be dumb and lazy and waste it or not have it generate more money for you.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
if i have that kind of money, ill go mad buying. buy a mesa, gibson lp or even let someone customize your guitar. and if you have that kind of money, dont buy used and dont buy a multi fx like the person mentioned of buying a gt-8..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

With 5k to spend, I'd have to say Matchless, Bad Cat, or 65 Amps. All of them are hand wired boutique stuff and they sound phenominal! Thats what I'd buy if I had that kind of cash to spend.
matchless amp, no doubt. orange too, maybe.

and for a good multiFX, go with the t.c.electronic g system. or a bunch of good single FX and this amazing black and purple switcher from musician's friend, i could find it if you wanted me to.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
my financial "advisor" is my insurance agent, hes also the father of a girl i know and went to high school with.. State Farm does investments like i mentioned and a bit more. And by going through him im savin alot of money because he doesnt charge, and alot of the things im going into are tax exempt.

whats the benfits of gettin multiple stomp boxes rather than one multi-effects 'station'?

also.. my G-DEC has a load of effects in it and i currently have some user-saves that i really like.. would i be able to run my G-DEC into my new amp/head to use those effects? a buddy of mine told me it would prolly sound bad.
single effects generally have better tone than multiFX, though that's not always true. it also lets you pick and choose exactly what you want. and you can't really run amps through other amps, the power levels and impedance levels are way off.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Page 1 of 3