Are good grades truly important to success in life? I don't want someone who's in high school to reply saying how important it is when they don't know what they are talking about. My grades for my freshman year are as follows so far. Am I screwed for life now?

English: C
Math: D
Spanish:C
PE:A
Biology:B
Photography:C

It's not that I'm stupid but I just really don't care about these subjects and they don't interest me whatsoever.

Semester 2
English: B
Spanish: F
Biology:A
Photography:A

So please people who have a job or are out of college. Does school really effect you that much? Thanks.
What's up?
as long as you learn, you're not there for grades you're there for knowledge...

and that is my fortune cookie post for the day...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Are good grades truly important to success in life? I don't want someone who's in high school to reply saying how important it is when they don't know what they are talking about. My grades for my freshman year are as follows so far. Am I screwed for life now?

English: C
Spanish:C
Biology:B
Photography:C

It's not that I'm stupid but I just really don't care about these subjects and they don't interest me whatsoever.

Semester 2
English: B
Spanish: F
Biology:A
Photography:A

So please people who have a job or are out of college. Does school really effect you that much? Thanks.

Do you realize that Americans nowadays are actually dumber than previous years and getting worse? Because the education system is becoming less strict ever year, trust me, you need to go to school.
no dude. grades don't matter. the whole thing is a joke. it's this huge government conspiracy. lol. grow up. work hard. it will pay off.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
^ It's not that I plan on not going to school. I'm just wondering if it determines what kind of job you get, or what kind of life you get for that matter. Not really worried about it since I'm only a freshman. Just wondering.
What's up?
Depends what you want to do for your career. If you want to do anything intellectual, yes.

If you want to flip burgers, no.
yes it is, especially if you plan on going to college. But you stil have 3 years to bring up our GPA to get into a good college, it probably screwed you out of the Ivy League, but with grades like that you probably werent planning on a school like that anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yes. If you want to make money, go to school and do well.

You won't make it as a musician. So few do, and the few that do, spend decades getting to the point where they can eke out a measly living.

Go to school.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Unless you care about your education, but in reality, all that matters is getting out of high school.

College is more important imo.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
yeah seriously though, if it bothers you so much get your GED, do to a community college and transfer to a university...

you will definately regret it if you **** up now, if you find a girl you really love you're going to want to take care of her and she will dump your ass if you cant support her...

and furthermore, do you really want to work in wal-mart forever?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Well atleast you improved in the second semester. Seriously, who the **** will ever need another language other than what they speak? UNLESS they actually do plan on going to that country... Just cross spanish off the list =]
Well, ima freshman, and your grades are better than mine. Dude, its nowhere near the end of the semester in America, so you should be able to bring that F up to a D. dont sweat it bro, my mother says it doesnt really matter what you learn in High school, just get ur credits and go to college, because they will make you relearn everything anyway. But then again im still in high school so you dont want to hear my opinion.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by doomnight
Well atleast you improved in the second semester. Seriously, who the **** will ever need another language other than what they speak? UNLESS they actually do plan on going to that country... Just cross spanish off the list =]

That's what I was thinking. And as for Geometry, my dad is an engineer and he barely even uses it. So wtf.
What's up?
Quote by doomnight

you have to have at least two foriegn language credits to graduate high school in most states. Most colleges require you to take one too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by CORT noob
Well, ima freshman, and your grades are better than mine. Dude, its nowhere near the end of the semester in America, so you should be able to bring that F up to a D. dont sweat it bro, my mother says it doesnt really matter what you learn in High school, just get ur credits and go to college, because they will make you relearn everything anyway. But then again im still in high school so you dont want to hear my opinion.

Your mom's cool
What's up?
Quote by doomnight

yeah because it's not like hispanics are the fastest growing sector of the population in America or anything.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
yeah because it's not like hispanics are the fastest growing sector of the population in America or anything.

I'm hispanic and I have somewhere around 30 cousins. Spanish failers forgive me.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
If you go to college (university), then you should learn all you can. You should work hard in high school to get into a good college, but you should really focus on subjects that interest you...read, and learn all you can WHILE getting good grades. It will pay off dude (trust me).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by HPLoveCraft
That's what I was thinking. And as for Geometry, my dad is an engineer and he barely even uses it. So wtf.

But I bet he uses some sort of Calculus or Physics, both of which you will not understand unless you understand basic Geometry, and don't say he doesn't because then hes no engineer. You still have to understand it even if the computer does it for you.

Don't worry to much about frosh year, try hard and what not, but the big one is your Junior year and first semester of Senior year, plan ahead, take the right classes, don't overload yourself and have fun.

BTW: I'm still in high school, and yes it does affect your life, but that's why there's Community College. Two years there, then transfer to a four year school as a Junior, don't stress out to much.
We're living in a modern society,good grades will definitely help.

Well,unless you wanna flip burgers like the above statement...and become the next James Hetfield.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Man funny you brought this up.

Right now ive took a shift in careers and education because of various reasons.

In the last 2 years ive been out of school, i enrolled in an Audio Engineering class that was supposed to go for 2 years.
Here in Australia we have a UAI ranking system that gets us into universities. However mine was quiet poor but i didnt care because the Audio Eng. class didnt need one because it was based on your knowledge of music and theory of Audio Eng. Anyway after coming to realise how hard it is to get a job doing audio Eng. in a studio and very rare it is. Its basically about being in the right place at the right time even though there is still alot of Live Audio work but ive already learnt that and dont need further education for it.
So after thinking about job oppitunities and earnings when im finished uni, i decided to stop studying Audio Eng. and enrol into a different course.
This is were school is important because the course i want to do required studies in subjects at school that i didnt do and also with my crappy UAI i wouldn't be accepted. So i got to go to an educational institute to re-do my UAI so i can learn these subjects and gain a higher UAI.
Which i look back and regret not in not trying in the important years of high school even though mucking around with mates and being smart arses were probably the funniest days of school life. Anyway shit happens and ive wasted 3 years that i didnt have to..

So theres my story, it's important if you want a job that requires further education. If you dont then its not real important it will just look good to the employers that you have a decent school record.
- Satch is awsome -
Quote by HPLoveCraft

good luck passing calculus if you have trouble with geometry.

and college is important. i'll be going to singapore this summer to intern at a multinational corporation. (not sure which yet). from there, ill spend next year in japan.

school matters dude. maybe not so much grade, but SAT's!!!!!!.

but again, it all matters what you will be happy doing. i want to be a businessman involved in east asian/US trade, so yeah, I've gotta do pretty well in school. if you wanna fix cars, go to a vocational school. if you wanna work in a music store, go work in a music store.
Quote by staticoverdub
good luck passing calculus if you have trouble with geometry.

Yes, but he can get help. Most colleges (if not all) have programs to help students who are struggling (in general, or with a particular course).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Last edited by terrencemaddox at Mar 7, 2007,
Quote by terrencemaddox
If you go to college (university), then you should learn all you can. You should work hard in high school to get into a good college, but you should really focus on subjects that interest you...read, and learn all you can WHILE getting good grades. It will pay off dude (trust me).

I really do want to do good things i like.But my school basically won't teach me what I want to learn until I'm a Junior.And to the guy that said you need calculus and physics to be an engineer...you're absolutely correct.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
I really do want to do good things i like.But my school basically won't teach me what I want to learn until I'm a Junior.And to the guy that said you need calculus and physics to be an engineer...you're absolutely correct.

I can tell man. Just hang in there and get the best grades you can (the grades you posted weren't too bad dude). When you get into college you still have to take stuff you hate, but youn have more freedom when it comes to deciding how to arrange it, and you get to take a lot of stuff you want to learn. Trust me man...hang in there

Good luck ( I think you'll be fine).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

richard branson didnt do well at school. Admittedly he has dyslexia, but he's still worth $4 billion.
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.
Quote by willhoppy
richard branson didnt do well at school. Admittedly he has dyslexia, but he's still worth $4 billion.

WORTH? How is a person worth something? Do you mean he has $4 billion dollars? In the case, I'm worth $100 dollars...
A lot of colleges are open enrollment so as long as you pass and graduate, you can go to college. But if you want to go to a better college which may mean a better job, which may mean a lot more money, high school may be something you want to get good grades in.
Quote by Barbarastreisnd
A lot of colleges are open enrollment so as long as you pass and graduate, you can go to college. But if you want to go to a better college which may mean a better job, which may mean a lot more money, high school may be something you want to get good grades in.

Not ENTIRELY true. You can go to a crappy college for a bit and then transfer to a really good one. I agree though that getting good grades in high school is a good choice
Miss Scourge? PM me.

learn as much as you can in highschool so you can figure out what you find interesting. cause when u get in college you need to take classes that you have intrest in. think about it; when you study something you like, you waste less time and it's easier to retain right? besides who wants to get a job for the rest of their life in something they dont really find amusing/entertaining/etc.
Good Will Hunting anyone?

ӨήӘ
ŝ
ĦĒŘ
ĿÎҜξ
Ǐ
ĐӨ♥ ♥ ♥

I know I'll never be your Mr. Right
But I'm happy to be your Mr. That'll Do For Tonight
Grades are especially important if you plan on going to college. Not only are scholarships alot easier to come by with good grades, but you don't want bad high school study habits to follow you to college.

Take me vs. my sister for instance. I made a habit out of goofing off and cramming for every single test. I got o.k. grades, but nothing great (typically around 3-3.2 GPA). I also don't remember alot of what I should have learned, because instead of commiting information to long term memory I committed it to few-hour memory just before my tests. Now I find myself struggling more as I'm more than halfway through college, still using my crappy old study routines that I couldn't break out of

My sister, on the other hand, learned to study correctly and has always stayed on top of things, having a near- 4.0 GPA taking comparable studies to what I have done. She got a HUGE scholarship, and I didn't... Furthermore, school is easier for her BECAUSE she stays on top of things and never gets behind.

That being said, it is not the end of the world if you don't get good grades on a semester or two, but I advise you not to be like me using the "putting off getting good grades untill some other time" routine, cause it's a bad habit to break. Also if you can't get into a certain college based on your high school grades, you can instead use a community college as a transitionary school.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times