Musical taste is something I hear often... "she has bad taste in music" -- I think that this term is overused and misused to a proper degree. How do you define "bad" taste in music? Or for that matter, how do you define "good?" Basically, you're matching a person's general library of music to your own - if they match, they have good taste, and if they do not, they have bad taste.

I think that as a guitarist of 3 years and a musician of like 10 (been playing piano since I was 10, writing since I was 13 or 14), I can identify what makes music technically advanced or pure crap... however I know also what styles of music I enjoy and which ones I dislike. That doesn't mean I can't see the technical or artistic merit in a certain style of music, just the sound turns me off in general, and I wouldn't listen to it on my own if someone wasn't showing it to me.

I never listen to metal (this is just an example, there is plenty of music I dislike). The hardest bands I listen to are Muse, The Mars Volta, Wolfmother, and things of that nature... does that mean I have bad music taste? I don't think so, I occupy myself with the things I enjoy and don't worry about the things I don't enjoy. But to a metalhead, yeah, it probably means I have bad taste. Even though I can listen to, appreciate, and understand metal, I choose not to. I just don't like the guitar tones, or the vibe of the lyrics.

I think taste is something that cannot be "bad" or "good" - it is simply a reflection of your personal style (and sometimes your experience level).

Are you guys feelin me at all?
I am not feeling you. Any music I dont like is bad taste. And anything I do like is good music.

/thread
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
well i think its more blinded taste than bad. take my step sister for example, a couple hours ago she didnt know Deep Purple wrote smoke on the water, and she listens to her favourite song constantly, which also changes every week, depending on whats the number 1 clip on video hits. shes 18 btw.

so i generally look down on those people, to me, they have bad taste.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
mmm... there isnt really an actual criteria for "bad music taste" but i find that scene kiddies piss me off to no end.
i agree, i can appreicate most things musically but i do have reservations about alot of bands
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
I see what you mean, but there are plenty of metal fans that would respect your opinion.

However, you do bring up a good point.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Emo = bad taste

but in all seriousness im so with u. I used to like metal but i got sick of the kind of repetitiveness and unoriginalness that kept cropping up in metallica etc. I still appreciate the guitarists abilities and all that, i just dont like to listen to metal anymore. And i love RHCP and i think frusciante is god but to a metalhead shredder they'd probably hear his stuff and go "meh"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Rocker_69
well i think its more blinded taste than bad. take my step sister for example, a couple hours ago she didnt know Deep Purple wrote smoke on the water, and she listens to her favourite song constantly, which also changes every week, depending on whats the number 1 clip on video hits. shes 18 btw.

so i generally look down on those people, to me, they have bad taste.

Yes I believe that your step sister has bad taste in music too.

For me, a person with bad music taste is anyone who listens to music only because someone, be it a person they associate with, or the media has told them to listen to it. If people listen to music because they like the sound of it, and they make their own choices about what sounds good. Then they dont have bad taste. A bit of musical knowlege goes a long way too.

I have to say though. People who like Nickelback have no musical taste.
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
music is, and always has been, subjective. as long as you can justify why YOU don't like something and appreciate that others might still like that, its all good. people look for different things.
Heh, I guess good taste is the same taste as me as far as I'm concerned. However that's not to say that I don't respect others choices in music. But in my opininon bad taste is just liking a kind of music for its popularity, or a fad (not necessarily the music itself)

Of course, these aren't definitive definitions. Music is completely subjective. End of.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
It's all just a matter of person preference. Everyones likes different things in life, not just in music.
i think its not really about if its rock or jazz or this band or that that defines good or bad taste, its all the context around it. i think people who listen to stuff of the charts have terrible taste not because its by this singer or that or the song has x amount of guitars in it, but how the music is made, if its made by a musician who made the music for the sake of music and not the financial incentive. im not saying musos should suffer and die penniless, but pop music and stuff that's blatantly about money rather than art should definitely warrant 'bad taste', because those who consume it cant see through it.

EDIT: btw, im seeing The Mars Volta in 7 days in Sydney, so i guess you ave good taste in music, despite all that ^^^.
Last edited by perko at Mar 7, 2007,
I generally dont say someone has bad taste in music if they dont like what i like. Thatd make me a musical snub.
Example, I dont like rap, I can find negatives, but writing a 4 minute long poem (some are good, some are bad) isnt easy. Same could be said for metal. Someone doesnt like metal cos its too heavy. They hate people who listen to metal. Theyre just blind.
I just hate bands which have blatantly sold out and are doing what they do for money. When somethings about the money, solely for the money, then its better off not being done at all.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Originally posted by nz_matt
Yes I believe that your step sister has bad taste in music too.

For me, a person with bad music taste is anyone who listens to music only because someone, be it a person they associate with, or the media has told them to listen to it. If people listen to music because they like the sound of it, and they make their own choices about what sounds good. Then they dont have bad taste. A bit of musical knowlege goes a long way too.

I have to say though. People who like Nickelback have no musical taste.

I agree entirely.