ive played drums for nearly 6 years, started playing guitar young but didnt stick with it and im looking to start playing bass my relatives own a music store and there going to give me one but im not sure which to ask for so i thought id as for some help from you guys

if it helps my favorite bands are incubus, red hot chili peppers, and blink 182

im sure most of you are sick of hearing about mark hoppus and blink lol

if you guys have any other things i should know before i start playing or any tips or anything that would be nice too

im looking for something respectable, not to expensive, something that will last a long awhile and one that looks sexy lol price range 400 - 700

i also have litte fingers
Ibanez SR505 or Schecter Stiletto Elite-5.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Miss G
ive played drums for nearly 6 years, started playing guitar young but didnt stick with it and im looking to start playing bass my relatives own a music store and there going to give me one but im not sure which to ask for so i thought id as for some help from you guys

Welcome and come on board! As a drummer, you are most likely going to make an great bass player. Most of the drummers I know bring a great sense of timing and rhythym to the instrument and not so surprisingly, are solid slap bass players.

As far as tips, what are you specifically looking for? Practice tips? What you should learn first? The forum here has loads of information as well as lessons, so dig right in with the search button, but if there is an area you want some specific answers on, fire away!
Welcome aboard mate.

If you need any help dont hesitate to post it.
As for the bass, i'd personally recommend some kind of a Fender (Either P or J, depends on personal prefrence), or a Yamaha.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Yeah welcome to the forums, i recommend looking at the basses the others suggested, and also some schecters
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Hey there, we welcome ye to the bass forums. People seem to recommend the Ibanez SR series and there are also some high end yamahas that are nice. That is if you are talking about paying in pounds not dollars.

Like Anarkee said, drummers do make good bassists, especially slap. My mate is a drummer and he also plays bass a little, and when slapping he has great rhythm and he kicks my ass at it.
signature
Ok I grab two of your items and defer the others to well, others!

1. finger and picks. My 2 cents, learn to use both, but learn fingerstyle first, esp. if you used to play guitar with a pick. Picks vs fingerstyle is a matter of preference, both have their places and both have their rather vocal advocates.

2. Effects pedals. Hold off on getting a pedal until you've played a while. Otherwise, you won't really be able to put one through its paces and use it to its full advantage. You'll get stuck in the "wow, cool noise stage". When you get ready to purchase one, search the threads here, there's been quite a bit of discussion on specific pedals and their uses in bass playing.
Hey there, welcome to the fourms!

Drummers make awesome Rythmic Basses!
Here is my advice:

Concerning after you get basic picking down, your R hand should act like a combonation of a kick, snare, and most of the time a crash (usually, sometimes less, sometimes more)

Also, when buying a Bass, get something that sounds neutral. Like a P Bass or a J Bass. Don't get anything too terrably specific like a Musicman Bass. Try and find your own sound first before you invest an obscene amount of money into your BIG RIG!

Also, after you get the bare basics of playing Bass down, play with other people as often as you possably can!