25 19%
.60mm
18 14%
.50mm
9 7%
Voters: 131.
Page 1 of 2
EDIT: I forgot .88mm picks... DAMMIT!

Since the beginning, I've favored Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm picks, the blue ones, for my Epiphone and Dunlop Jazz III's for my Strat. I have had a hard time getting my alternate picking in Cradle of Filth songs like 'Funeral in Carpathia' and 'The Smoke of Her Burning' to sound quite right; generally, it sounds sloppy and unorganized. It's also rather difficult, and tiring, and I often have to compensate by picking hard, which strains my forearm, shortening my endurance. Anywho, a while ago I used a Dunlop .88mm Nylon, and the little ****er made it much easier to alternate pick! I could suddenly play those CoF riffs cleanly, and for a longer duration. I am sure I use terrible technique in alternate picking, as I haven't practiced before, but I picked up a Fender thin today, and wow, I can alternate pick so much better now! Not only does it take much less straining, I can pick more cleanly, and faster, more accurately. The tone has even improved.

This gets me to wondering: what pick gauges do you prefer? Also, what gauges for alternate picking? Am I just a big pussy? Am I on to something here? Do I suffer from poor technique? Does the straining issue go away with practice? There is no question in my mind that a thicker pick is preferable for the more brutal bluesy, SRV kind of stuff, but when I'm playing the blues, it sounds better somewhat sloppy. When I'm playing a metal riff, I sound like a putz if I start muddling notes and making little mistakes. I could still get a good lead tone for standard soloing using this Fender thin, however the pick is already somewhat damaged, which is not terribly good. What do you say?
Last edited by oddling8 at Mar 7, 2007,
As thick as you can go comfortably is usually better. Will give you a beefier sound and give you better attack response. The more the pick bends the less energy that would be transfered to the string.

Thicker pick should be better for alternate picking since it won't bend and then need to recover. I suppose it's personal preferance though in the end. Just keep practicing it I think and find what works for YOU.
^ I get what you're saying, but this Fender thin isn't bending so much that it's getting me into trouble. It's not so thick that I have to put more effort into the attack; on the contrary, it's so thin that it takes almost no effort, and allows me much greater speed while being comfortable. I love the Jazz III's, but it takes a lot of effort to alternate pick with them at high speeds for extended periods of time.
Im using 3 mm stubbys
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
0.88 or 0.73 for me
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Jazz III is where it's at for me.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by everythingdies
I like my 1.14 mm dunlops. Not quite sure why 1.14 is the magic number though.

Me too, I've been using those little purple suckers for like 20 years. They don't chip like the Fender Heavy's my band's other guitarist uses.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Get a better technique before blaming your picks.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I use the thinnest of girly picks for anything at all.

Ever for past picking and stuff.

I bend it to a C shape when playing to make it more rigid.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
cheap ass .81's

I tried tonnes of others but these just work for me, not too much give in them but still enough to get the right dynamics on my attack...and they're cheap.
I use dunlop JAZZ III picks,not sure there thickens but i cant use nothin else but them anymore..
i don't use one :P i win.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I play mostly acoustic, so I use the thinnest picks I can get because I like their percussiveness (new word) more than thick ones. (Red Everly Stars)

When playing my electrics, I usually use a medium sized thumb pick.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 7, 2007,
Whatever Black Jazz 3's are..

Best pick ever.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Dunlop Jazz III's mainly, and also sometimes Dunlop black Nylon's
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I thought it was weird, but the new GuitarOne devoted like 4 or 5 pages to the Dunlop Jazz III's (black and red). You guys that use them are in good company, including Joe Bannamassa, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho, Mark Tremonti. They're too small for my taste but these guys all swear by them.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
1mm ultex, sooo much better then tortex.

Anything above 1mm feels too bulky to me and I can't string skip and sweep as smoothly.
Like this hasnt been done 584334587433 times...

But yeah. .73 Dunlop Nylons.

And there is no BETTER or WORSE picks, ouchies...its all opinion.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Like this hasnt been done 584334587433 times...

But yeah. .73 Dunlop Nylons.

And there is no BETTER or WORSE picks, ouchies...its all opinion.

meh thats what i meant.. "imo"
Well I would have voted for 88mm since those are what I use and all. Dunlop tortex, green, to be exact.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
I'm a big fan of the Dunlop .6mm nylon picks... It feels perfect.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone
I use inch thick picks cause my strings are inch thick too and i need one that big to play them.
I just bought these cool new pics from my small local music store ther 1.5mm i wanted to shrink the size of my picks in diameter but still the same thickness so i found these and its cool because they have like grip tape on them, and i love these because when i play my hand starts to get sweaty and im constantly drying my hand a pick, but now that i have this no need for drying anymore. My speed increased with these (slightly) and no more drying my picks, its a nifty little thing.

ESP EC-1000 see-thru Black Cherry w/ Emg's
Dean Markely Sign. strings 10-46
Line 6 Spider II 75watt combo
Damage Control Solid Metal Tubed Preamp Distortion
Dunlop gels x-heavy picks
Im hoping soon to get a Mesa Roadking
Last edited by Avenged Rocker at Mar 7, 2007,
i dont use picks.... i use my finger nails... wahaha

nahh.... i use Jazz III they're great,.. i got hmmm 77 pieces of them... wahahahah
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Dunlop U.S.A. 1.5 mm

I also use Dunlop Nylon .60, .73, .88, 1.0, and smaller than .50 for acoustic stuff.
fingers! (i'd use fingerpicks if there was a way to make em actually stay on!)

when the fingers get sore, i resort to orange tortex...
Orange Tortex (.60 i believe). I used the yellow ones for awhile, but Im liking the thinner picks better.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Page 1 of 2