Ok so i know the scales pattern for chromatic,pentatonic,minor,major and blues. However by playing the pattern does it mean playing all the notes that should be in the scales?
If its the case, is it a better option to memorise the whole fretboard so when i want to play the scale i can just play all over the fretboard.

Theres another question, do i need to follow the orders of the notes played in the pattern or i can jump all over?

I need some help in memorising the fretboard. I uses scale pattern to memorise the fretboard however i am a forgetful person so i always forgotten what i have played. Another method of mine is to memorise the notes on the fretboard i played for a solo. Am i heading for the right way?
I would really be appreciate if someone would name me the notes that should in each scales that i learn!

Thank you very much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chord question is that does:
A normal G chord and a G maj chord sound the same?

Thank you very much once again
Last edited by oreodunk at Mar 7, 2007,
sorry i cant help, but i would also like to kno the answer

good question
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
The latter, definitely; learn the notes on the fretboard so you know how to play anything anywhere. I personally learn the C major scale, as there are no accidentals, and makes it easy if I need to play a flat or sharp. I also learn the scale formula (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 for major scale) and how others relate to it, such as the modes. And learning notes of solos on the fretboard is definitely a help.

And no. Jump wherever the hell you feel like! You can play the low E string open, then jump to 22nd fret high E, then 24th fret high E if you want.

Name you the notes? Do you mean knowing how to figure out what notes are in a scale? I know how, but I can't explain it, but it has to do with the scale formula... undoubtedly someone can help here.

And yeah, if there is just a letter for a chord, it's major. A is major, Amaj is major, G is major, et cetera.
Checkout this site:
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

It cover a lot of music theory applied to the guitar. Look for the last lesson (Melodic Patterns).
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
About playing a scale in any certain pattern, you can play a scale in any pattern you want to, it's just all up to what the guitarist thinks sounds good. A good way to play a scale with a progression is to start with the root of the scale and then move up and then when the progression changes chords change scales with it. Ex: The progression is A, B, Dflat and, D so you would play a major A, then the Dorian mode of A when the progression changes to a B, then the Phyrgian mode of A when it changes to a Dflat, then to the Lydian mode of A when it moves on to the D. So, point made is to start at the root.