Hi, I just want some advices get a sound similar to frusciante in his last period, both clean and distorted (not to emulate him!). I own a '50 anniversary strat, a fender blues deuxe, graphic fuzz, boss compressor and dd6, weeping demon wah.
I mean, what setting for equalization and stuff like that

Thanks
Frusciante did use a graphic fuzz on some of his songs, but he mostly uses a Big Muff Pi on like all of his songs.
Sent from my iPad.
You have two options, and they aren't mutually exclusive:

(1) Ultimate settings thread, and/or

(2) Search bar.

John Frusciante is the annoying guitarist of the moment on this site and talked about to death.
Hi, I'm Peter
and let's not forget

(3)learn to use your rig
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pretty much clean guitar with a tiny bit of power amp breakup, neck pickup, pick hard. And use a Big Muff.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah, pick hard, for the melodic stuff, neck pickup, for funkier, bridge pickup. keep treble around 6 or 7, havent a clue about mids, but bass around 5 to 6, i think. keep the volume up on your amp, so it breaks up a bit. for distortion, he mainly uses a big muff for the fuzzy stuff, but on distortion like the dani california chorus, he uses a DS-2.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Thanks for the advices, but I know the most of the things you told me before... anyway I just really wanted to have some opinions from other people, as you did.
But in particular I wanted to know if his tone is so linked with the big muff, because i've tried one and I think the graphic fuzz is very flexible and can go near to the muff sound
well if youre looking for his distortion, then yeah, the big muff plays a major role. he also uses a muff'n too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
muffns are nastay
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by rhcp_freak
yeah, pick hard, for the melodic stuff, neck pickup, for funkier, bridge pickup. keep treble around 6 or 7, havent a clue about mids, but bass around 5 to 6, i think. keep the volume up on your amp, so it breaks up a bit. for distortion, he mainly uses a big muff for the fuzzy stuff, but on distortion like the dani california chorus, he uses a DS-2.

I'm sure he uses a Big Muff all throughout Dani California.

Unless if you have clear proof, I'd still believe that he uses a Big Muff
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
I'm sure he uses a Big Muff all throughout Dani California.

Unless if you have clear proof, I'd still believe that he uses a Big Muff

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=17&storycode=15789

Quote by John

On the chorus, I doubled the guitar parts, which were played using a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Thank for the advices, but the point I wanted to clear was this:
is the big muff in your opinion so special sounding or can the graphic fuzz (that I have!) sound almost like it( or better, like many people that heard it told me) because of equalization and major control of dinamics( I know hte muff is very compressed, but I have a compresor too)?

Sorry for the confusion :-)
some light gain on your amp. You can crank it to get this. THen just use a pedal to boost for solos. Love his tone, though.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Yup, DS2 chorus, and Muff or Muff+DS2 for the solo.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Yup, DS2 chorus, and Muff or Muff+DS2 for the solo.

R_H_C_P how do you know all that stuff? Are you going on their every concert and you have a backstage pass? Respect for you man And By The Way I 've seen your pedalboard.. NICE! I have a question for you cause you're good at that... Now I have DS-2 and crybaby... Is it correct if i'll buy Big Muff to achieve Frusciante's tone?
^I can hear it haha. And sometimes see him steppin' on different pedals in videos.
Well, you should take your DS2 to a guitar shop and ask to try out a muff, and use them both at the same time. However, I think the Big Muff can get Fru's tone pretty well just by itself...
Don't be afraid to care"

Look where i live... I love my country (Poland) but we have only 1 music shop (in my city) and there's no Muffs so... I want to buy the new one on Ebay... I do the same I'm watching how John plays some parts and always try to play the same Even when it's harder to play like that i'm talking to myself: "John plays like that , remeber. " Maybe I should buy something else? Maybe Delay or something....?
Hmm, what other gear have you got at the moment? coz it's up to you.
And if you've got the money, you might aswell buy a Muff, look for a used one if you can, cheaper and same quality.
Don't be afraid to care"

this doesnt help i know, but id just like to say to everyone (to annoy them) that my SJ nails his tone!

I love this amp to death!
My Gear:

Fender Stratocaster 62' reissue
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Marshall MG15CDR (sorry)
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
Behringer Hellbaby WAH
Dunlop Crybaby (came yesterday )

And that's all... I'll buy a new combo or cabinets with head but after my exams....
Now all i can buy is pedal but wchich one? So what do you think R_H_C_P?
Last edited by Karol1701 at Mar 8, 2007,
^New amp dammit!
Don't be afraid to care"

Well it's funny but it's not so bad I could buy a new amp in August... I'm thinking about Marshall A Cabinet and B Cabinet plus Marshall Vintage Modern...I'm not sure what's his sound(Vintage Modern) but if John is Vintage(we all know that) this one should be ok...or a new Plexi reissue....
Quote by Karol1701
Well it's funny but it's not so bad I could buy a new amp in August... I'm thinking about Marshall A Cabinet and B Cabinet plus Marshall Vintage Modern...I'm not sure what's his sound(Vintage Modern) but if John is Vintage(we all know that) this one should be ok...or a new Plexi reissue....

The VM will do his tone.

On another note, I really don't get what everyone wants his tone for. Its a basic early breakup clean tone. Nothing special. From there he doesn't really have a tone. It changes every song.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Oh man don't say that... He has the most beautiful for ears and eyes style... His open mouths plus that crunchy things between notes... And his clean is reaaallllly clean...
Quote by Karol1701
Oh man don't say that... He has the most beautiful for ears and eyes style... His open mouths plus that crunchy things between notes... And his clean is reaaallllly clean...

He uses 3 different amps to achieve those different tones. Hes got a marshall major he uses for cleans and two jubes set differently for mild overdrive and early breakup cleans.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I know And i really would like to have your Jubilee They are fantastic aren't they?
Last edited by Karol1701 at Mar 8, 2007,