Page 1 of 2
why is every one so hell bent on lessons? I mean, it's proven that you can learn on your own, and it's not that difficult. almost every single thread I see in here from newbie people every one's like "get lessons" but why? I mean, I've been playing for 7 years and I've had one lesson....one....and from what people tell me, I'm good. so my question to you is: why is every one so dead set on beginners getting lessons?
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."
i dont know ive bn playing for a couple of years and i still dont want a lesson, neither did hendrix and same for me
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
hmmm...... i've had three lessons, one the guy taught me the basics then never turned up for another. the second teacher i had taught me metallica's whisky in a jar and i just thought, well, if i'd wanted to learn that song then i could have done.

lessons are useful for beginners because they put you on the right lines, but to be honest i still think dont think you need a teacher. everything you need is on the internet or failing that, i knew a guy who taught himself everything with absolutely no help, he didn't know any chords so he just put together things he thought sounded good. he's just surreal to watch.

each to their own though
Some people just learn better when they've got aomeone directing them. Plus is does help to have some one tell you when A: your just doing it wrong and B: how to improve

works for me anyway
Hendrix was born into a very musical family, he understood music long before he ever picked up the guitar. The point is you've been playing for seven years and you're only "good" chances are with lessons you would have been a hell of alot better. Post a recording and we'll judge how good you are :P

There's always more to it than you think with these things. Joe satriani was "self-taught" but when u read into it u find that he decided to pick up the guitar after watching his sister perform with it, who had lessons at school, the chances of her not teaching him what she had learned....? Pretty slim....

Every musician has a teacher, its just some dont have to pay for it.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Mar 7, 2007,
I didn't have lessons, i did have a pretty clear idea of what to learn in which order though. Having said that, there's no doubt i'd have benefited from some guidance whn I was starting out. Not to mention there's shedloads of so-called self taught young players who've been playing months, possibly even a year and haven't actually learned anything other than how to regurgitate a couple of tabs.

If you've got the discipline and common sense to learn sensibly and gradually then teaching yourself is fine...it may take a little longer but nothing beats working something out for yourself. If you're attempting sweep picking and are obsessed with pinch harmonics after a couple of months, but can't play a G chord or tell when your guitar is out of tune then you don't have a clue and should get some lessons.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
...only thing I was ever taught was a few barre chords. Everything else I figured out on my own. But it's true, even if ur not taught proper, u learn from alot of different places.
I believe it always helps to have a teacher that knows what he's doing.

My guitar teacher has been playing for about 30 years now. So he really knows what he's doing. He plays at places around town for cash a lot now.

I think it's better because you can ask questions right there and don't have to post on a website or anything and you can't see anyone do an example for you if you ask a website..
Quote by not_enough
I mean, I've been playing for 7 years and I've had one lesson....one....and from what people tell me, I'm good.

btw if you'd had lessons you'd know how good you are because you could compare yourself to a real professional player. I've had people tell me that im the best player they've seen that isnt famous but i know theyre only saying that because they dont fully understand what it means to be a real guitarist. I know my limits well because i can compare myself on a regular basis to a player who has very few limits.
My friend has equal chops to me, but he dosn't know shit about anything on the guitar, he just knows how to play it, what I mean is, he dosn't know harmonics, tapping, sweep picking ect, so I pretty much beet his ass in solo duals all the time, he was self-taught, I take lessons, I think it makes a difference, I doubt I would have ever devolped my alternate picking if I didn't have my teacher constantly telling me to do so.
My guitar teacher has been teaching me techniques (scales, fignerpicking, etc) rather than getting me to learn songs, the idea being that I will go off and learn songs in my spare time and when I can get the use of a teacher during my lessons it is to learn skills and ask questions and get help with things im struggling on.

I'd say its done me the world of good, 3 months in and I've written my first song, which I don't think I would have had the confidence to do if I didn't have a teacher helping me learn skills to write songs with etc. In a years time, who knows where I'll be?

Each to their own though.
always in the poo, only the depth changes
well i learn with tablatures and with some jams with my friends xD but i think lessons would be good to me.... saty cool
I've always been a fan of lessons, as I doubt I would know as much theory sa I do with lessons and teachers can teach you the theory in a more practical way than just learning from a book (What i've found). Although If you have the dedication to teach yourdelf then you can be just as good as someone who gets lessons.
I also found its a lot easier to develop bad habits when you dont have lessons (and therefore no-one forcing you to correct them)
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by Atreideslegend
There's always more to it than you think with these things. Joe satriani was "self-taught" but when u read into it u find that he decided to pick up the guitar after watching his sister perform with it, who had lessons at school, the chances of her not teaching him what she had learned....? Pretty slim....it.

What? He decided to dedicate himself to the guitar after Hendrix died. Well, I guess your story could be partly true too...

And he was taught by jazz guitarist Billy Bauer and even jazz pianist Lennie Tristano.
Everyone is always saying that self-taught players are better, but if the self-taught player had actually taken lessons with a Good teacher (With experienced teachers learning curve is immense) then they would be a hell of a lot better.
If you have a good teacher, then you can improve faster, and not develop bad habits (as someone said above).
I've been with my new teacher since september, and my speed has increased dramatically ('cos he makes me alternate pick everything X]), so has my little finger strength and stretch.
Try lessons with a decent teacher, sure it's not as "cool" as self-taught, but you could be a potentially better player.
JoNo
xXx
i think beginners should have lessons just to get them started and on their feet. then once they learn the basics, can compose and play their own material as well as cover songs, they can do it on their own.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I never took lessons, and after playing the guitar for a couple of years now, it doesn't seem like there's that much that someone else can teach me that i can't just learn by myself or find out on the internet.
Lessons are good because not only do they often prevent bad habits, but they also allow the newbie to gain experience second-hand. Also, for some people, it's a lot easier to learn from a teacher than from a book or website. There is also some accountability with lessons: it's a lot harder to put off/ignore guitar if you're paying someone to teach it to you, and that person expects you to improve.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
wow, didn't expect that much hype on a little question. but anyway, for the one who asked me to post for judgement: myspace.com/ashbournehappyhour. that's my band. and my personal is: purevolume.com/kevinnolan
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."
Quote by *rockstarjono*
I've been with my new teacher since september, and my speed has increased dramatically ('cos he makes me alternate pick everything X]), so has my little finger strength and stretch.

But I'm already far beyond that. Why should I get a teacher?
lol, around here, everyone is anti-lessons. LESSONS ARE THE MAN, MAN!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
personaly i think alot of self tought guitarists are better than some of the teacher teached... ones. take hermen li (dragonforce) or kurt cobain (nirvana). also my friend who has been playing for 7 years now has been tought by the only guy who teaches in my town and he only plays when hes at lessons (which is only 30 minutes every other day) hes actually pritty good but i think its made him lazy. im not saying lessons will make every one who takes them lazy but it will sometimes.
psh..."I can learn everything by myself"
But...you cant. You can only go so far. As far as your limitations can let you go. Your guitar teacher will always be better. I have been playing for 9 years. And i started guitar from the begginging with a music teacher and i have had the same one since...you need lessons if you hope to become a real guitarist.
haha, lessons suck. my rhythm guitarist took lessons and has been playing since he was 9 (we're both 16) and ive been playing for 2 years, and im way better than him. ill give credit to the two guitar classes we've taken together at school, but it goes to show that self-exploration is awesome.

(that sounded dirty...)
I took lessons for about 120 hours an estimate, it really helps if you want to learn the scales, basic and sometimes advanced techniques like sweep.
The People who arnt getting lessons dont sit on UG asking for lessons, So you dont know they exist, But they do, Oh, They do
I'm to the point where I know enough theory, chords, scales, chord scales, notes, etc. that I don't need lessons. However I continue with mine because my teacher's awesome and he's somebody to jam with once a week. Music is like cooking, there's always something new to learn.
Quote by jakerickman9208
psh..."I can learn everything by myself"
But...you cant. You can only go so far. As far as your limitations can let you go. Your guitar teacher will always be better. I have been playing for 9 years. And i started guitar from the begginging with a music teacher and i have had the same one since...you need lessons if you hope to become a real guitarist.

And what is the definition of a REAL guitarist?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I hope it's not like a REAL Doll...that'd be way creepy.

"I'm sorry, we're all out of John Frusciante's sir, they're on back-order and you're looking at a six week wait minimum. I can do you an Angus Young for the same price if you like, and we have Herman Li's on special offer as we over-ordered"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by not_enough
why is every one so hell bent on lessons? I mean, it's proven that you can learn on your own, and it's not that difficult.

No one learns on their own. You get instruction from everywhere. Just because you're not getting it from a living person sitting in front of you doesn't mean you aren't receiving instruction.
almost every single thread I see in here from newbie people every one's like "get lessons" but why? I mean, I've been playing for 7 years and I've had one lesson....one....and from what people tell me, I'm good. so my question to you is: why is every one so dead set on beginners getting lessons?

Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer in the world, yet he has a swing coach. Major League Baseball players are the best of the best, yet they have hitting and pitching coaches. Having a teacher is better than not having a teacher. However, that isn't to say all teachers are good. Most aren't. Most are guys who've been playing a few years, think themselves proficient, and think themselves able to teach others beacuse of that. They're wrong, most of the time. Teaching is more about psychology than skill at the instrument, and there's definitely a talent in conveying information in a meaningful way to other people.

Here's why good teachers are valuable:
- They'll push you. Most people don't push themselves beyond a level that they feel comfortable operating at. This hinders improvement.
- They can instantly recognize and work to correct flaws in your technique or perception.
- They can expose you to things that you might not have sought out on your own or been able to find on your own.
- They can custom tailor exercises for you to reinforce what you're proficient at and improve on the areas you're lacking.

Those are just my thoughts on the subject.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by not_enough
why is every one so dead set on beginners getting lessons?

Because we're not prodigies like you.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by Dirk Gently
No one learns on their own. You get instruction from everywhere. Just because you're not getting it from a living person sitting in front of you doesn't mean you aren't receiving instruction.

+1

its very hard to be COMPLETELY self taught. Even though i would say im a self taught guitarist because ive never had any guitar lessons it doesnt change the fact that i learned from other sources

it would probably be fair to say that UG taught me to play guitar
i cant belive the bs some of you guys are typing, how can you actualy imply that not having a teacher is a good thing? i mean is just stupid yeah sure you might make it some what whitout one but if you have the chance to take lessons do it for god sake..

guess im just pissed cus i cant aford a teacher ;P
I don't think lessons are neccesarily the best way, i think one of the best ways to learn tp play is having someone around you can jam with, that way you learn not just how to play, but how to play with someone else, which is a completely different story.

But then again, having someone who's better than you around to tell you where you're going wrong is always a good thing.

It's probably best to go for all three approaches: get a teacher, study some things yourself, and join a band or find someone to jam with, I personally don't think you can be brilliant without all three areas.
So you never sat down and jammed with someone and stopped and asked how'd you do that?
Guess what that was a "lesson"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You can learn on your own, but if you develop a bad technique, it is unlikely someone is going to point it out to you for quite some time, and by then it may be a bit late, and hard to correct.You learn faster with a teacher, he or she can put more motivation in you to learn, and help you in the right direction.
For example, try learning Statistics on your own, you CAN do it, if you got some background math knowledge, but it's going to be easier to understand and progress with an instructor.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
because lessons are really helpful, and you develope your skills faster that learning by yourself

i know a guy that takes lesson every week (3 hours every saturday) he has been playing for 1 year and he knows a lot of theory, and obviusly he can play really good (way better than me, and i've been playing for 2 1/2 years
In my opinion lessons are good because you learn to do things correctly and the RIGHT WAY is almost always the better/more efficient way in the end. When you just jam and mess around with friends, or look on the internet where there is a wealth of BAD information, you can be misguided. And as some people have said before, you can develope bad habits that will be much harder to break later.

The other thing is not everyone is good at learning on their own. Even if you were directed to all the correct information about playing techniques, theory etc. for some people they need someone to talk to who will point them in the right direction.

lessons are the way to go! I've taken lessons for the past 2 years and I've never seen so much improvement in guitar than when I've been taking lessons, I've left some of my other friends in the dust.
If I had the cash for lessons from a teacher I would take them, but I don't so I learn on my own. However there is a class at my college that if I get an acoustic guitar I can take and I want to take it. I think it is twice a week for the semester an hour each time. I hope that helps me next semester. This summer I am going to get an acoustic to be able to take that class. Since it will not come straight from my pocket, loans and student aid I can take it. I'd love a teacher to tell me no you did that wrong, do it this way. But I just find out how I should do things then force myself, like alternate picking, I started off not knowing it now I have to force myself to do it so it is harder. Thus having a teacher to stop me and make me do it the right way would be better.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
Page 1 of 2