Im Looking to get a tone, which will sound awesome while playing Dani California and good while playing When You were Young. does anyone have any suggestion, i need a good tone since theres a high chance ill be playing both of these songs next week at the Comic Relief Benefit Gig im organizing.

the reason i ask is because when i play dani califorina my bass sticks out like a sore thumb, i know what im playing is right, but it sounds wrong
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Just adjust your amp settings until you are happy, maybe turn the mids down a bit if you are cutting through too much
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Sly Taco
listen to tom petty's last dance with mary jane, they ripped off the verse part from tom

not in terms of bass tone, but thanks for the completly unhelpful comment.
What if someone asked about Metallica's Ride the lightning and all I had to say was dude, listen to Megadeth, thats what its a rip off of!
It wouldn't be very helpful, would it?

Flea used a vintage-J for it, but even then he still seems to be going for that "MusicMan" sound. High hows, high lows, cut the mids (and if you have a 4 band EQ - cut the low mids for a j bass sound, cut the high mids for a MM sound, cut both for a... more generic sound.)
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
Flea used a vintage-J for it, but even then he still seems to be going for that "MusicMan" sound. High hows, high lows, cut the mids (and if you have a 4 band EQ - cut the low mids for a j bass sound, cut the high mids for a MM sound, cut both for a... more generic sound.)

You know what... I was just playing that song just a moment ago with my Stingray, and I thought how odd that they mixed the bass tone of his Jazz to sound like a Stingray. Methinks he and the producer still have MM ears. lol
Its good for the bass to stand out imo.

It follows the guitar so u MIGHT be playing it wrong. Check the tab again.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
You know what... I was just playing that song just a moment ago with my Stingray, and I thought how odd that they mixed the bass tone of his Jazz to sound like a Stingray. Methinks he and the producer still have MM ears. lol

he seems to always do that. You get a custom Modulus with Lane Poors, you get a Wal Mach II, even when he had his Spectre it just seemed to... try to be a MusicMan.
I dont know why he even left the SR. Other than to have a $2000 bass named after him,
But you catch my drift.

and yes, I meant high highs.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Ill Try the EQ thing with the high highs the high lows an low mids, and i learnt the song from the Stadium Arcdium tab Book

edit: the version with the CD's
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo