So here's what happened. I've got an epi sg, and of course, the input is on the front, so the cable sticks stright out. About a month ago, I had put my guitar down, and accadentally stepped right into the cable. It jerked the input enough to crack the wood around it, but it didn't look like really major damage. After that, I learned to unplug the cable before sitting it down. Yesterday I was playing, and I stepped on the cable, causing the wood to crack enough that the input jack just sunk into the guitar. I opened up the back, and was able to pull the jack all the way out without even taking it apart. I've managed to put it back on so it will hold for now, but I want to do something to keep it from falling out again, and cover up all the chipped wood around it. I'm thinking just take a really big washer and paint it black, to match the guitar. Any better ideas?

When I was searching for a post that might answer this problem, I found one saying to get a 90 degree angle cable, and loop it around the strap, to prevent this problem. So please don't just tell me that I should have just done that to start with, because it's too late for that.
Hahaha!!!!!
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Post some pics. It'll be easier to help if we can see the extent of the damage.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
You could try filling it with epoxy resin or just put black duct tape over it. Either way unless you invest in getting a professional repair, it will never look brilliant.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cleared
Post some pics. It'll be easier to help if we can see the extent of the damage.

I would, but I don't have a digital camera. I might be able to get some up next week.
that would be helpful since there are many ways it can be repaired. What you need is the most reasonable repair that you'll be happy with. If you want it to appear as though there was no damage, you'd need to take it to a professional.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
Any chance I could install a Strat input? I'm guessing it wouldn't work, or I would've seen other people with them.
at this point u might want to disconnect the jack at that input. leave it there as a dead jack and put a hole under the guitar towards the back, similar to other guitars.

even getting a right angle jack and looping it now might not be the best solution, because if u yank it one more time u culd crack off the bottom of the guitar.

drilling a new hole isnt that hard. fixing a ripped out hole and matching the finish is.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You can put any output jack, in any place and on any guitar you want. The wiring is dead easy but if you don't have good wood working skills you're likely to make a hash of it. Like I said before, if you don't know what you're doing, get a professional to do it.
It wouldn't, you need to adjust the hole size manually. I'm a bit of a dab hand with a chisel so things like this are no problem for me. I know a fair few people who have tried moding guitars without knowing what they're doing and made a complete balls of it.
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll just take it down to the guitar shop and have them put a strat jack in it. It should look almost as good as new, with the advantage of being a custom.

Edit: Suggestions are still welcome
Last edited by everythingdies at Mar 7, 2007,
i always use a 90 degree angled cable on my SG... the positioning of the input jack is really bad on SGs, i hope gibson change the design eventually, i don't see how they've not realised this for over 40 years.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I just talked to the guy at the guitar shop, and it sound like it will cost about $40 (parts and labor) to get a strat jack installed. Turns out that whenever electronics are involved, there's an automatic $20 fee, in addition to the rest of the work. It doesn't quite seem worth it when I consider that it's a $150 dollar guitar. Anybody got instructions on how to do this myself? Any completely different ideas?

In case you're wondering, the reason why I decided on a strat jack is that it's big enough that it should cover the damage pretty well, and the design should make it less likely to get damaged again.
take it to a guitar shop, most likely they'll know what to do. that sucks man.

edit: if you want to put a strat jack on an sg, you'd have to cut the wood because strats and sgs have completely different jack styles.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
u buy a jack. about $5.

desolder the two wires off the jack in there now. $15 soldering iron kit.
^yeah. not an sg jack but u get the idea.

then measure the hole ull need and pick up a drill bit. i forget the name but they bore circles thru the wood.
drill it and screw in the new jack, solder the two wires and finish.

i AGAIN. suggest u put in a standard 1/4" jack on the botom, floor facing side of the
guitar and leave that input as a dead input. there is less drilling if u can find a thin route to a cavity. then u just push those two wires out to it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^SG's have really thin bodies, and so I've read that they're to thin to put the jack on the side like that (I'm guessing that's why they're made with the jack in the front). There would still be the problem of the ugly hole in the front.
well yeah, ive seen guys mod it to put it on the side.
i guess i can find u a site where someone found a great place for it. but u know, google is ur friend.

and i would leave the jack hole there. it wouldnt look bad with the jack in it. eventually swap it for a kill switch toggle, something like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You should really use cables with a 90-degree connector next time!
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
You should really use cables with a 90-degree connector next time!

The reason why I didn't use one to start with is because I couldn't find any that seemed decent (it seems that 90 degree angle cables are bad about going out), and hopefuly I can get get fixed so that I won't need one.

Funny thing about the cable, it seems to be just fine.
I did the exact same thing on my kramer flying v. I just duck taped it back on, and it works fine.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
This is a pic of my guitar after I duct taped it back on
I'm pretty sure you could duct tape yours back on, duct tape fixes everything
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by jj1565

then measure the hole ull need and pick up a drill bit. i forget the name but they bore circles thru the wood.

Their are several tools that can do this. One of the most common is called a forstner bit.

Quote by everything dies
The reason why I didn't use one to start with is because I couldn't find any that seemed decent (it seems that 90 degree angle cables are bad about going out), and hopefuly I can get get fixed so that I won't need one.

You can still use you're preferred cable with a straight jack but you can get adapters which plug into your output so you can plug your cable in on a 90 degree angle. They only cost about £2.50 ($5) and you can get them from pretty much any audio/visual shop or electronic store.
dude messed up I would have shit mi self look the best thing you can do is go to a professional guitar shop n ask them about it if that fails try and find a guitar restoration -place and if failing that go to a wood smith if you have never restored a guitar go to someone who knows what they are doing believe me I have restored 5 antique guitars of my own that i have and i restore my friends guitars as well.

don try to do it yourself
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Their are several tools that can do this. One of the most common is called a forstner bit.

yep thanks, that's what i was looking for. i used one to make a cavity in an epi once. worked out pretty well. cheap too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by gibson freak

don try to do it yourself

meh, i dont know. i mean didnt he say it's a $150 guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do I actually have to do anything with the wiring? Cause all the wires are just fine, I just need to replace the outer piece of the jack. So could I just screw the inside piece of this one into a new outer piece? Also, is there anything wrong with putting a strat jack in the front instead of making a new whole on the side? The only whole in it is where I would be cutting to make room for the strat jack, and the wood around it seems sturdy enough.
I don't know what colour/ finish you have on the SG and how keen you are to show it off, but I'd consider making a custom pickguard to cover the damage. You can get blank pickguard sheets and cut them to shape, you could go for the Tele Custom look.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Hey everythingdies, could you give me a link to the thread about looping the cable around the strap? I've heard about this but not grasped the concept.
easiest thing to do is to get a thin rubber washer and a thin metal washer (same size pref) that are just larger than the hole, enough to cover it competely with a little extra. it won't be quite as pretty as before but it conceals and protects nicely. rubber on the bottom, metal on top, screw it back into place. works like charm.

Same thing happened to my g-400. It sucked.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking about doing to start with, but I think if it got jerked again, it might break that out.