Hey, I am new around here and a total noob to playing the guitar. I have been playing less than a week. I am a little undecided on what style I am going to presue but right now I am playing classic rock. I am set to start taking lessions tomorrow. I want to get the basics down first. I just wanted to see what you all think about my gear and if I should switch anything as I have time to exchange it. I went with a standard Strat (black as if that matters) and a Peavey Bandit 75 (it was used and has to be almost as old as I am, 23). I am pretty pleased with the sound on the Bandit for the $140 I paid for it. Did I make good choices? I know I am going to want to upgrade my guitar or buy a second in the future. I would like to learn some A7X and similar. Just wanted some opinions on the gear, mostly the amp.
Well after doing some research it turns out that it is really a Squire Strat not a Fender. It seems like these are very cheaply made. Looks as if there is a lot of plastic parts that will be prone to breaking. What sort of longevity should I expect out of this guitar? Should I go ahead and return it and get something a little better? I like to buy something that will last me a while w/o a lot of fuss. Looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Studio.
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 7, 2007,
well dude....squire will last if you take care of it. But it all depends on how the guitar feels to you and the sound you want. If you want an Avenged sound your going to need some humbuckers....so I personally would go for the Epiphone. But I'm not you....go play it and decide. I really would play them both and decide which one feels better. But I would think the Epiphone would be better quality.

As for your amp....your in good shape for now. Its not like you need something amazing if your only playing once a week.

But if your in a situation where you can eventually drop some cash my advice is trade the squire if you want, then stick with your gear until you feel you're playing a lot more and are sure your going to stick with it. But if you do stick with it, just instead of wasting cash in between just wait until you know what you want....then buy the most killer rig you can get your hands on.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I don't know if I typed wrong or you read wrong but I was meaning to say I play every day of the week basically. I have only been at it about a week (with my own gear, used to play a buddies some). This is something that is going to get a lot of use, that is why I am worried about longevity.

Start lessions today!!!
oh...well either of those guitars will be fine... like i said its just a matter of reference at this point. Just dont go spending money on like 4-500 dollar amps when you actually have a job and are capable of saving up for some good gear. Because really if you end up deciding a few months donw the road you want a new amp and you go buy a Spider or something you are just going to end up selling it in a year any way and you just blew that money. Start looking at these forums a lot and get a good idea for what amps and guitars are good for waht and do some research. That way when the time comes to buy new stuff you wont get burned.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I have already made my bad decision by buying that Strat. Dude I am not a teen like a lot here. I am 23 years old with an associates and a bachelors degree and a full time job . Anyway traded in my Squire and I am having a change in taste. Started listening to blues again... man I love it. Found my passion, I will be playing mostly blues (still some classic and modern rock). I picked up a Les Paul. Got a DeArmond M75T it is b-e-a-u-tful (starburst with black trim and ribbing) and sounds great to boot! Makes that stupid Strat feel like a toy. It can play some heavier rock but it meant for blues! Good thing my amp is pretty good at doing cleans . I can feel a tube amp in my future but not just yet. I guess you could say I had a revelation, listening to BB King really hits home.
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 8, 2007,