Its one of those subjective terms which will mean different things to different people.

To some, its when they sign for a major label; to others it may be when they start playing stadiums etc.

I think it is a very band-specific label.
Terms and Conditions apply.
when a band change their style of music or their sound to suit what would get them the highest rating in the pop charts.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
to me its when they change their original ideals to make more money. when it becomes about the money and not the music, they have sold out
i dont class a band as 'selling out'' because they play stadiums or get signed major, i think its when they do anything to get a few extra dollers, things like shit albums they bring out just to get money which they could worked on for another few months, thats when I class a band as sellouts, stuff like that
Bands 'sell out' when they seem fit to make as much money as they can by appealing to the masses and focussing on image more than music...apparantly.

I personally look past all that crap, as in who the artists are and how much money theyre making. Its all about the music at the end of the day, for me. I'm not easially put off.
It seems I'm one of the few who deem 'selling out' to be acceptable.

At the end of the day, for all these guys love music, it doesn't pay the bills. Music to them is a passion, but it is also a job. I see nothing wrong in wanting to appeal to as many people as possible in order to exploit the potential earnings of your craft.
Terms and Conditions apply.
when they change their music for fame/money i think sellout can vary on a wide scale because some think that it's playing for money, but some artists NEED that money for example Kurt Cobain, he was living in cardboard boxes or in his girlfreinds apartment with no money until nevermind
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by cagnius
It seems I'm one of the few who deem 'selling out' to be acceptable.

At the end of the day, for all these guys love music, it doesn't pay the bills. Music to them is a passion, but it is also a job. I see nothing wrong in wanting to appeal to as many people as possible in order to exploit the potential earnings of your craft.

^^ Especially today with all the downloading...
Yeah the term means different things, and people with more strict views might have a more strict view of what selling out means.

In my opinion as some have said, when the aim is to make money and not music, thats selling out. When you can tell that the music has honsetly become mediocre and only secondary to making money, thats when you have a sellout. When people say a band has "a lot of heart" I think that these are the kind of guys that are in music for the love of writing and playing music.

I do think it is possible for a band to go mainstream and still pursue a higher objective of music, and sometimes to express a view to more people you have to go mainstream. So I think it all depends on what the motive of the artist is; sometimes you can tell what that is, and sometimes you can't, but usually you have a good hunch as to what artists are in the business because they love to play, and what artists are just selling out.
It's not when people start liking them a lot, or when their cds start selling. Those are factors beyond their control. I consider it selling out when they alter their sound or appearance solely for the purpose of pleasing the mainstream and making money.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
When a band has other people write their music and lyrics for them.
And when they hire an additional 4 people who play behind mask.

*coughKorncough*
when a band dileberatley change their sound to be popular. Changing sound for creative reasons, not selling out, getting famous/popular, not selling out, getting signed by a major label, not selling out, the band just happens to be good at what they do.
Quote by fragydig529
When a band has other people write their music and lyrics for them.
And when they hire an additional 4 people who play behind mask.

*coughKorncough*

agreed, one band i seem to have forgotten their name *coughgreendaycough* have 26 or 28 people behind a mask playing with them
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
i think if a band was to defer from the image that made them iconic in the first place, just to make money, is selling out. just my opinion that is, of course there are many opinions of this as mentioned previous. say if radiohead were to reform and make an album full of indie rock songs with catchy hooklines such as "ruby ruby ruby ruby" for example
AFI is what I consider a prime example of selling out.

Now before 2000s they were generally punk nowadays there emo? why you ask? Because Emo is a big thing now Metallica kind of sold out but when you sell out you’re supposed to make more money right....

KISS have not sold out you see KISS is what you call business savvy. You look at KISS first album and compare it to their latest Psycho Circus. Its still KISS, its still sounds like KISS and all their other albums were still KISS (maybe some of their stuff in the 80s was a little off but still) Basically yaw, any band that changes its sound to be like what ever is popular.
To tell the truth selling out guarantees (excluding AFI) that you will make less money from you're original fan base.
A band is a business, they have a right to make money whatever way they please
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Chinese Democracy
Quote by IbanezSA160
To make a ringing sound with your guitar, take the guitar and ram it as hard as you can into your balls.

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
I could care less if a band 'sells out'. It's if they are shit or not that counts.
Quote by GiantRaven
As soon as they make any money

Everyones a bloody bunch of sellout bastards

Stupidest. Term. Ever.

This guy knows it. I hate when people say bands have sold-out when they get some sort of success...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
When they start singing what the public wants them to sing instead of what they want to sing
Example: when Shakira began singing in English and stopped singing in Spanish, and began with the pop crap (she once was a really nice singer and made nice songs) and the sexy moves, she began selling out.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
When they start singing what the public wants them to sing instead of what they want to sing
Example: when Shakira began singing in English and stopped singing in Spanish, and began with the pop crap (she once was a really nice singer and made nice songs) and the sexy moves, she began selling out.

You're complaining about Shakira being sexy?

What a world we live in...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
You're complaining about Shakira being sexy?

What a world we live in...

I'm not complaining .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by alliwant
Pheww...you're still beautiful in my eyes.

But I know some religious freaks that would complain
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Ok so if a band changes to make extra bucks, that is selling out. Suppose the band only cared about making money to being with. Is that still selling out?
Seriously, I'm in the band.
Most people don't even stick to one definition half the time, but I'd say frigginjerk coined a decent one way back in one of his articles:
"Selling out is when you play music that you would not normally play, and are only playing it because you were offered more money beforehand than you would receive if you were to play what you wanted to play"

So for example, I wouldn't say using your music on ads for a certain product would be selling out if you had already written the songs without the intention of using them in the ad. Mind you, I think you should personally find the product to not produce any extreme negative effects before throwing your name on it (for example Nike, who uses sweat shop labour to make their products). If people simply like your music, and want to pay you to use it for something, and you agree with what that something is, I wouldn't say you are selling out.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by DeathSlut69
Chinese Democracy

it is, in my opinion that an album cant sell out, but rather the artist. but new gnr sucks anyways.
I think samuwel and akm1020 are pretty much on the money. (2nd and 3rd posts)
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
Last edited by Daitrying at Mar 7, 2007,
When the level of talent goes down
and they start playing music in a style that people like
rather than what they like.