Hello,

I'll start off by telling you what i play

Blues (freddie King, BB king and SRV etc)

rock (van halen, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix etc)

Metal (ozzy osbourne randy stuff and zakk wylde stuff so also Black label society, metallica etc)

I'm looking to get a better tone overall. I'm happy with my guitar. I have an mg30 as an amp. Im okay with that but it cant always get the sounds im looking for. I was wondering if i got a distortion pedal for my mg would it improve the sound quality. If it did, would it be good enough to play live with.

I could get a new amp and my guess is thats what alot of people are going to tell me to do. However i play a large variety of things. Also i dont have that much cash, £450 is my very maximum and anything under would be nice. So please dont suggest an orange rocker 30 because i don have that money and wont have it for a long time. Preferably tube.

Also looking at wah pedals. I have been suggested morley and vox but which model?

Thanks, i just need a little guidance (by the way my nearest good shop is a while away, and im not complaining im just telling you why its hard to try things out)
What amp do you currently have?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I don't think you're going to find an amp that covers all the tones you want to a great standard. Definately get a new amp before getting any effects.
Okay...I'm assuming that in the UK. Haha.

Since you're in Europe, check out Laney combos, like the VC30 - I don't think it's that expensive, from Dave_MC told me. I've heard clips of the VC15, and I thought it sounded great for blues and rock, and stick a pedal in there, it can do metal. Definitely classic metal.
Maybe Traynor, as well? They're not too pricey, either, and cover blues and classic rock, and could probably handle metal if you put a pedal in front.
i'd say peavey windsor head (good for the rock and type of metal you suggested, maybe not so good for the blues) or laney vc30 (good for the rock and blues, maybe not so good for the metal)...

Those would be the main two I'd look at. Maybe a marshall dsl401 too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
could the dsl401 get the ozzy tones? What about an overdrive pedal with the laney? Would it be able to get ozzy tones. Also about the wah pedal. Which morley is best
AHEM. You live in the UK and want an amp that will do blues to ozzy rock?

I think we all know what I'm thinking of...

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
^ aye, but it's over budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Postman
could the dsl401 get the ozzy tones? What about an overdrive pedal with the laney? Would it be able to get ozzy tones. Also about the wah pedal. Which morley is best
DSL401 has alright OD but crappy cleans and there are much better for the price. I'd get a Laney VC-30 112 and an OD.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
DSL401 has alright OD but crappy cleans and there are much better for the price. I'd get a Laney VC-30 112 and an OD.

it has good dist. and above average cleans when that bitch is cranked! A new speaker (Gt12-75 or V30) would really change this amp! But The Peavey Wendsor if you have a cab, but if not I would suggest the Laney VC-30 212 or Marshall Dsl 401

p.s I think UG could really be maturing, no one has spammed the plave up with "mG'zz suXX3rz!!111 lolllzz"
So go ug!
i would love a rocker 30 combo but its not realistic and i wont have that kind of money in a while.

How much does a new speaker cost?

With the laney whats the difference between the 112, 210 and and 212?

how heavy can it go?

If i got a decent OD would i be able to get fairly close to ozzy and metallica?
depends, maybe £50-60

well it can do hard rock with a od pedal and thats it really!
It could possibly do Ozzy but no way metallica. The Dsl can do early metallica like RTL Kill 'em All..
Quote by False_God
it has good dist. and above average cleans when that bitch is cranked! A new speaker (Gt12-75 or V30) would really change this amp! But The Peavey Wendsor if you have a cab, but if not I would suggest the Laney VC-30 212 or Marshall Dsl 401

p.s I think UG could really be maturing, no one has spammed the plave up with "mG'zz suXX3rz!!111 lolllzz"
So go ug!
I'm more surprised that nobody's come in and said to replace his guitar with an Ibanez :P
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Laney LC30 all tube. It does blues and rock excellently and will do metal with an OD. It's also only £358 from gak.co.uk
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
How about the Tiny terror though?
£300 with 150£ left you can get yourself a cab or even better make your own, I saw four greenback speakers for 150£ buyout on there. If I had the money that would sound rather tasty. You could even sell 2 of them if you don't want a 4x12 stack quite easily for about £80.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
well metallica up to the black album. I'll give it a try but i dont think the vc 30 sounds like it would suit me as much as the dsl. I'll try pick up a 2nd hand dsl401 after trying it. You can get them for 300 pounds. I'll also try the LC 30.

What about a wah pedal? I was just wondering
Quote by The Postman
i would love a rocker 30 combo but its not realistic and i wont have that kind of money in a while.

How much does a new speaker cost?

With the laney whats the difference between the 112, 210 and and 212?

how heavy can it go?

If i got a decent OD would i be able to get fairly close to ozzy and metallica?

112, 210 and 212 are the number of speakers and what size. IE, 1x12" speaker, 2x12" speaker.

For wah, stay away from the Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby. Check out the Vox V847 or 848.
Still a few Fallen Angels about too, still nice and cheap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
112, 210 and 212 are the number of speakers and what size. IE, 1x12" speaker, 2x12" speaker.

I think what he meant was tonal differences!

If not, its common sense about the numbers
H & K Edition Tube 20th Anniversary?

Just a thought, they're new to GAK and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
well i knew about the vox ones, i was more wondering about ones that morley made and which are worth trying out.

I'll find out about the H & K edition tube

I'll check out both laneys, dsl401 and the H & K. Any others worth trying out.

Thanks for all the help so far
^ they're quite nice... worth a try if at all possible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I haven't tried them in so long, I can't really advise, unfortunately. plus, I only tried one.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot

my dsl401 kicks ass, i keep the gain around 4 on the clean channel and get a very good clean sound its no jc120 but its definatly not crappy. i get a good ac/dc and gnr tone from the od channel and also use a visual sound jekyl and hyde for metal and solo boosts try it and its in your budget
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
you need to go tube to get any of the tones you mentioned. all of those artists use overdrive pedals for a lot of their sound so get one of those two. depending on what your living situation is, youll probably want pwer attenuator. i also recomend an equalizer pedal and you should be set for any of those tones, even if your guitars not great. you should be able to do this for under $300, so save up, sell your mg30 and you should be tehre in no time.
Some type of 30 watt tube combo with a 1x12 inch speaker would be good. Nice volume, but not crazy enough to where you can get it to break up without killing your hearing.
like i said i can get a dsl401 second hand for 300 pound. and ovedrive for just under 80 pounds. I'll try it out but so far looks decent and now i can have a target to save up for. Thanks for the advice
that dsl is a real good deal for 300 pounds. not my style, and i dont know if it will be your style either, but deffenitely something you shouldnt pas up
Quote by forsaknazrael
For wah, stay away from the Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby. Check out the Vox V847 or 848.

Unless you're handy with a soldering iron. The GCB-95 is perfect for modding.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I have a morley power wah, don't like it much. It's to dark sounding for me, it'd work really well for heavily distorted stuff but it's crap for anything clean or funky.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com