Hello, UGers.

The title is a bit misleading.. The thing is that I bought a Washburn jb-100 from a guy on iceland a couple of months back..

The guitar:

He had sometime in the past changed the bridge pickup from a Duncan quack buster to Hot rails. And in the process he disconnected a switch on the guitar he told me was a "splitter".. Now, so far I´ve loved the guitar. But the thought keeps nagging at me.. What is a splitter? And how would I go about reconnecting it?

I just saw the guy once, lost his phonenumber and everything since then. So contacting him again is not really an option :P
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.
By splitter he probably means that it splits the humbucker down into two single coils so you get a tone that is supposed to sound like a single coil.

You can only do this with humbuckers that have four wires and I would tell you how to reconnect it but ill let somebody else who will be 100% correct do that.
he coil tapped the hot rail in the bride position so only half of it worked. making it sound like more of a single coil. then he disconnected it
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Ghost_bass: Not sure what you were talking about, making it sound like single coil and then disconnecting it :P

Jonnomainman : Please, do tell
Sorry I have a vague idea but I dont want to be wrong. Let one of the electronics experts help with that.

To clarify what ghost bass said - a coil tap is splitting the humbucker into its seperate halves so you use the signal from only one of the halves of the humbucker. This is in effect giving you a single coil as you now have 1 magnet, 1 coil rather than 2 magnets and 2 coils. This then mimicks the sound of a single coil but it isnt as good as a single coil is at reproducing that sound.

EDIT - about the "disconnect" thing. The switch that is on the guitar controlled this coil tap or split so the original owner wired it up to work and then decided he didnt want it anymore so he disconnected the wires to the switch.
Doesnt look like the electric dudes are gonna reply
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/3lh_1v_1t_5w.html
As for the coil splitting question, do you want all three pickups to be split by one switch? If you want that, you'll need a 3PDT switch. You could also do it with 3 SPDT, or DPDT switches. I'd recommend you do it with 3 switches, since it will be easier to find 3 on/on switches than it is to find a 3PDT. On the down side, you'll need to add two more holes on your guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
nice guitar.

and for anyone who wants to know, that guitar comes all modded out, with a jb jr, and 2 duck buckers. the reason it my be disconnected, possibly because the pup wasnt able to be split, so it was unhooked. because you dont loose anythign if its hooked up, and its not being used.
make sense?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^ Hot/Cool/Vintage Rails are 4- conductors, they can split.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
ah, then he wasnt smart enough to hook it up?

SD should have a diagram on how to do it.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Cool, tri single sized humbuckers. I love that guitar. I want it.

A coil split isn't that hard to wire.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Well, its for sale now :P Looking for best offer.
if i was in the market, i'd so get it.

ill trade you a carlo robelli 12 string for it

Quote by steven seagull