Hey i have been playing bass for a few years now but have never really looked into getting new strings. Im getting a new Epiphone Tunderbird and was wondering if the strings it comes with are decnt enough to play with or should i get new ones? If so which ones would you guys recomend. Thanks
Everyone has a different opinion on strings, i personall like Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys but you just have to experiment with different sets until you find some that you like
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I don't know which strings the Epi comes with. I've used Rotosound but found them too tinny sounding. I use d'Addario now.
I use Rotosounds and the Search Bar. Stainless Steel strings have a very bright sound that I like.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by H-D
Hey i have been playing bass for a few years now but have never really looked into getting new strings. Im getting a new Epiphone Tunderbird and was wondering if the strings it comes with are decnt enough to play with or should i get new ones? If so which ones would you guys recomend. Thanks

The strings that come with the Epi Thunderbird are actually quite good. I had my Thunderbird for over a year, and I never felt the need to change the strings on it (granted I didn't play it all that much).

When you do buy new strings, though, look into Elixirs, or DRs if you can't afford Elixirs.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by Fast_Bear
You always replace the strings when they're dead!

Corrected. Well, unless you like the sound of dead strings.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
I personally love the Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (or whatever the hell they're called). I'll probably wind up buying them again when I need new strings.
Seriously....You've played for a few years and never bought new strings? Am I the only one who understood the importance of new strings when I started playing bass?
Quote by Bumper
Seriously....You've played for a few years and never bought new strings? Am I the only one who understood the importance of new strings when I started playing bass?

I went two years before buying new strings, and that was only because one broke. I never came across any problems.
I don't like the sound of brand new strings, I like the nearly-new sound, when they've stretched and settled and lost that metallic twang, but still sound crisp.

I use Ernie Ball hybrids.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Bumper

I wanted to get new strings about a month after I started playing because the ones on my bass just sounded so crappy. Also I loved the sound of the new strings and then I want a new set every couple of months. Except for the DR's I got on now, I just love the sound they make especially compared to the GHS Bass Boomers I had on before, they were shit holes.
Quote by Hergiswi
I went two years before buying new strings, and that was only because one broke. I never came across any problems.

Well yeah, it won't give you any serious problems, but you won't get the new string sound. Maybe I'm one of the few people that like bright sounds from my bass.