Hey all,
I recently split up with a girl I've been seeing, and I've been fine and everything, but I was thinking about future people I might think about seeing and realized something: If a girl I liked wasn't into music on some level, I don't think I could date them. At first I felt immediately stupid about this. If a girl has a wonderful personality, and I like them, why would this stop me? However, I thought about it some more, and realized that perhaps music is in me enough now that I wouldn't be able to deal with that. For example, let's say the following situation were to occur:

Prospective Girl: "You know what's kind of funny, but kind of sad?"
Me: "Mad World, by Gary Jules?"
<laughter>

Now, not that she would have to find this funny regardless, but if there weren't at least a few cases like that where I could make a music reference, and they wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about (even if I catered it to music they liked!), I'm not sure I could deal with that. I suppose the last few girls I've seen have always been pretty deep in music by happenstance, so it's odd to think about someone who isn't. Thoughts? Am I being closed minded?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I reckon you're being closed minded...branch out a little...

As they say: opposites attract
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
not at all, its really up to you what you want and dont want but something like that is not close minded at all.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Theres a story of a man and his finance on a train, and he had grace by Jeff buckley on his ipod, and he was like "Listen to this, this is just amazing, his voice, wow" and she said "Meh, alright I suppose" and he called off the wedding

As long as they had something they were passionate about, art, writing etc then I wouldn't mind, but I can only see myself with a fellow music lover.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
My example was more of just a funny something, but I guess what I'm most worried about is that I'll talk about even a vague thing about a song or a band or such, and that she wouldn't even be mildly interested or know what I meant at all. I could understand if she simply didn't know the music I did, but had other musical interests, but if she didn't understand that you can get feelings from music, and where that was coming from.... I don't know, lol.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

For god sake i think that is just bloody stupid, my girlfriend has completely different music tastes and i love her just as much as if she was a fellow metal head lol, as a felow ug'e already said you shouldnt be so lose minded hen it comes to love and relationships, becuase there ar emuch more important things in a relationship than musical tastes.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
My girlfriend likes crappy music she likes pop, but the mosre you have them listen to the music you like, the more they will like it, i got her liking classic rock But dont listen to the same thing too much, she is tired of hearing pink floyd becasue I play it so much, but she still likes it. In conclusion, you can motivate her to like good music!
lmao! Ive been like that for years.
1) they have to love music... not even MY music, just something heavy
2) they have to have a vagina...

everything else is negotiable
Quote by chris24789
For god sake i think that is just bloody stupid, my girlfriend has completely different music tastes and i love her just as much as if she was a fellow metal head lol, as a felow ug'e already said you shouldnt be so lose minded hen it comes to love and relationships, becuase there ar emuch more important things in a relationship than musical tastes.
I'd like to further reiterate that I'm not saying she has to like MY music, just understand music can be more then just something to keep you entertained in the car or stuff like that, and hopefully have some bands in general she cares about that can be taken seriously (aka not the Spice Girls, or shlop like that).
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

ive recently started dating this one girl, and she is an amazing person, but she has a crappy taste in music (ie country, and hip hop) but that is not what defines her. we may disagree on musical styles but she too great of a person to let that stop our relationship
"I count the days to find, what was left behind. All of these names I clutch, will lead me to my home. Mothers and fathers start, to drown the living proof.....I cant remember these Lakes of Blood." - Cedric Bixler-Zavala
I don't think you are. Music is a big part of your life and most people try to find someone that they can share stuff like that with. If you're into completely different things it can be hard to make it work.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by Cory Smash
I don't think you are. Music is a big part of your life and most people try to find someone that they can share stuff like that with. If you're into completely different things it can be hard to make it work.
That's basically what I'm saying. I think if she couldn't understand my love for music at least a little bit, I'd feel like there was a part of me she never knew.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

personally i couldnt care bout the music they listen 2, in the end theres other things people can have in common

i dated a girl who loved HIM

it lasted 10 months

i cant stand HIM

so we talked about other stuff!!

or sexed it up

(now by HIM i mean that shitty band, not an actual person hehe)
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Im like that too.

i cant possible imagine myself with someone who isnt seriously interested in music.

Music had because such a big part of my life that we wouldnt be able to have a decent realtionship unless she really knows what im talking about.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Revalk
That's basically what I'm saying. I think if she couldn't understand my love for music at least a little bit, I'd feel like there was a part of me she never knew.

Exactly. For people like you and I, music is not just something to listen too occassionally. It's a lot more. People tend to form lasting relationships (romantic ones or otherwise) with other people that share common interests as them. I know that when I'm looking at a guy in that respect, one of the first things I'll look at is his musical taste. It's not that I'd refuse to talk to him at all if his tastes and mine were different, but it might impact my views on them in some ways.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196