Hey. At the moment I'm eyeing a 30watt combo loaded with five 12AX7s and four EL84s (its made by Soundman, a local company in Warsaw if you were wondering). I was just wondering if I might get issues with clean headroom at high (club gig) volumes, since I've heard that 84s break up much faster than 34s... They're made by GrooveTubes if that helps. It's because at times I can get really picky with my sound staying clean for chord-work, etc. But then again, I do like the fact that they will overdrive faster on the od channel xP its a trade-off I guess. Any thoughts about/experiences with EL84s in a 30watt combo on clean?

Thanks,
Stijn
You can look for some different brand of EL84s, some brands have them which have less gain and more headroom.

You could also use a cab, which will spread the sound more and not require you to turn the amp as loud.

But you might just have to compromise and back off the guitar's volume when on clean to get rid of the break up.
A clean boost may work too...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
A clean boost? Never heard of that.. what is it? A pedal or something? Lol, i have no idea.

Anyway, thanks for replying.
Yea, it's a pedal. I think it boosts the volume and keeps the signal clean.

And consider my suggestions, they're good.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Yea, it's a pedal. I think it boosts the volume and keeps the signal clean.

And consider my suggestions, they're good.

Surely a boost would overdrive the amp more.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
^I think clean boosts are designed to keep the amp cleaner when at high volumes.

Other boosters OD the amp.
But don't rely on me for this...
Don't be afraid to care"

Here's a clean boost:

Keeley clean boost

I've never tried it but i've tried other keeley pedals/modded pedals. They are great
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
While I've no experiance with groove tubes, my amp has four EL84s and how clean it stays really depends on the output of your pickups, my tele stays pretty clean at high volumes while my mates xbucker overdrives it lightly at low-medium volumes.
...Bleep Bloop...
I thought a clean boost is something that boosts your amp into overdrive but does it in a clean way so it doesn't colour your sound at all. Like the MXR Microamp for example. Could be wrong, though.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Compressor in the effect loop coupled with a clean treble boost to return your sparkle will make you sound great.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by SamDking
I thought a clean boost is something that boosts your amp into overdrive but does it in a clean way so it doesn't colour your sound at all. Like the MXR Microamp for example. Could be wrong, though.

yeah. I think (may be wrong) that it means that the pedal itself adds no distortion/overdrive, just boosts the signal so that the amp distorts more quickly. at least if it goes into the front end of the amp.

My guess is just turn it up and roll back the guitar's volume control for cleans... pick lightly too. if that's not loud enough, then, yeah, you might be in trouble... lower gain pre and power amp tubes might be an idea, also lower output pickups, all of those could help, but at the end of the day it'll be a bit of an improvement, perhaps not a major one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R_H_C_P
^I think clean boosts are designed to keep the amp cleaner when at high volumes.

Other boosters OD the amp.
But don't rely on me for this...

Clean boosts boost the signal. When you increase the gain of the signal, no matter how 'clean' it is, you have more gain going into the input. This means more gain overall.

A clean boost is usually meant to be a TRANSPARENT boost, so the title 'clean boost' is actually misleading.
Yeah, the pedal posted as clean boost didnt keep it clean, it od'd it, but it sounded great
I use groove tubes in my valveking and it increased my headroom massively. groove tubes have really high headroom than other brands ive used before(mainly electroharmonix). I dont see u having a problem really, groove tubes are great for clean chord work at high volumes on my amp. I can take it up to 7-8 o'clock without break up, or loss of definition. I'd go for it
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Clean boosts boost the signal. When you increase the gain of the signal, no matter how 'clean' it is, you have more gain going into the input. This means more gain overall.

A clean boost is usually meant to be a TRANSPARENT boost, so the title 'clean boost' is actually misleading.

true. That confused me for a while too, till I got round to trying one. As I said, I think it might mean that the pedal itself is clean, but I dunno, it might be for some totally different reason. I guess they have to try to come up with a snappy name that people will remember... "Booster pedal which is transparent and doesn't add distortion at the pedal but will boost your amp's tubes into overdrive" probably isn't a seller...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright thanks for all the input so far! But I think the "clean" boost doesnt really seem like the answer.

So there's Def saying that GrooveTubes have lots of headroom, whilst R_H_C_P suggests to switch out to a different company for more headroom.. Anyone else knowledgeable about this specific company?

And then there's the suggestion of connecting a cab, to spread out the sound and thus requiring less amp volume. How effective will this be do you guys think? Although I dunno if I'll have the cash to pay up for a decent cab as well as the amp .

Thing is, the other option in my situation is to buy a used marshall jcm800/900 combo.. but I'm thinking that this Soundman amp might be more versatile, and with a better clean channel.
Bump... And btw, here's some soundclips:

http://www.soundman.pl/index.php?mode=wzmacniacze-produkt&show=wgit&id=15
(under the heading 'Pobierz Demo' below the picture.. - yea, sorry its in Polish.. I had to fight my way through the site as well hehe xP although they used to have it in English too... ah well.)

What do you guys think about the sound in general? I play anything from RHCP to RATM...

Ty
Very strat+classic rock-y sounding, I like it.
Don't be afraid to care"