OK, so. Backround: i have been playing for maybe 7 years, and have had one goal i mind the entire time: be a mix of Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, and Batio all at once. Shred. thats what i do.

about a years ago i decided it was time to settle on a "best pick in the world" and use that pick exclusively, so I could focus on precise technique and no worry about picking up a different sized pick each time i played. I searched and searched, but could find nothing that was completely satisfying.....so i gave up. until about a month ago i read an article in Guitar One about Dunlop's Jazz III guitar picks, and it said a bunch of things which generally implied

"oh yeah this guitar pick will make you a beast shredder. john petrucci and mark tremonti and joe bonamassa use them there the best. it will make you better"

with a sigh of disbelief i decided to give them a shot cause what the heck...im desperate. THEY WORK!!!!!!!!! GO RIGHT NOW, IF YOU ARE INTO SHRED, AND BUY ONE OF THESE PICKS!!!!! the sharp point and rigidity make it glide across the strings with almost no resistance, cleanly articulating every note! they apply exactly the amount of force to the string that you exhert with your wrist, a direct transffer of energy, its truely astonishing. if shred is your thing and your looking for a pick that will improve your accuracy and articulation, GO BUY SOME!!!!!

Disclaimer: if you suck at shred/soloing/speedy-playing-in-general, you will NOT notice a difference. this is a post for the people who can shred well and KNOW they can shred well. if you have been playing for 8 months and think you can play YJM well.........your just not going to notice a difference. in fact you might think these picks are WORSE because you simply dont know what your doing. also, jazz/blues player might want to check this pick out as well, after all bonamassa uses one.....but back the point of the disclaimer. if you dont like shred, and you cant play it, you will not like this pick. if you LIKE shred, and you CAN play it, go out and try this pick and i GARUANTEE YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO USE A REGULAR PICK AGAIN!!!!!!

double disclaimer: play with this pick for at least a few days straight for a real test of its abilities. i didnt like it for about the first couple hours of play, and it takes a smidgeon of a learning curve before your used to the new size/response. good luck...
Thanks. I think this was already pretty well known, but yeah. I was already planning on trying some out, even though I'm not much of a shred guy (more blues/old rock).
i cant say enough about these picks..........im thinking of posting this in the pit just to get the word as far out there as i can....... peace
They are slightly small.

Let me put it this way:
I play mainly classic rock,but I do solos in the style of Communication Breakdowon.

I tried this pick,it's quite small and that's a con for me,though it had a very good picking action.

In other words,great pick.

So:
Is their a bigger version of the same pick?
I like them too, their the only pick I use. When I try to play with normal picks now it feels like I'm holding a huge piece of cardboard lol.
Gear:
2006 Jackson RR3
2006 Ibanez S520EX
Peavy JSX 120W Head
Roland Cube 30
Agreed man. I saw that article and I figured what the hell? Then behold!!!!! My shredding was much cleaner and I found it easier to maintain the pick speed with the finer point. Yeah at first I was like....wow this is small....yeah that took about a half hour to get used to. Only thing I am having trouble getting used to is when you practice something like pinch harminics a certain way for so long its hard to change...but Im working on it and Im re-learning.

Even if you dont shred....they are good for any kind of fast riffing (Killswitch, Dimebag style). Seriously....for 30 cents you'd be totally stupid not to try something that may improve your playing this much. The pros dont swear by it for nothing!!
Alot of metal guitar players use these, my friend caught one from Alex of COB. I never really tried them, but im going to give them a shot next time I buy picks.
The list of people in guitar one using them is Eric Johnson (His are specially made to be a little less dense) John Petrucci, Mick Thomson, Alexi Laiho, Mark Tremonti, Joe Bonamassa, and Matt Heafy.
Im in love with them, the little buggers are simply the best for any player that needs to be able to get that speed, tremelo, mchine gin style riffing done, and leads, forget it, this pic has soooooo much to offer in the dynamic style of your playing, it reall really does improve your feel for the guitar.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
They are slightly small.

Let me put it this way:
I play mainly classic rock,but I do solos in the style of Communication Breakdowon.

I tried this pick,it's quite small and that's a con for me,though it had a very good picking action.

So:

in fact YES! they sell a bigger ( standard pick size that is ) sized Jazz III and its called the Jazz III XL. personally i have never tried them, but if your only beef with the regular Jazz III is that it is too small, then i would guess that the XL would fix that singular problem, therefore making the XL your 'perfect pick'.

Extra credit question: do you guys use the black or the red Jazz III's?

I use the red simply because they are the only kind my music shop sells and i have not bothered to order the black ones. I want to though, because the reds are a tiny bit "slippy" if you know what i mean, a little ''slick'' for my taste. word on the street is that the black ones actualy have a grippier surface, so im looking forward to giving them a shot as well.
I use them too. The black ones = perfection.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by lumberjack
OK, so. Backround: i have been playing for maybe 7 years, and have had one goal i mind the entire time: be a mix of Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, and Batio all at once. Shred. thats what i do.

about a years ago i decided it was time to settle on a "best pick in the world" and use that pick exclusively, so I could focus on precise technique and no worry about picking up a different sized pick each time i played. I searched and searched, but could find nothing that was completely satisfying.....so i gave up. until about a month ago i read an article in Guitar One about Dunlop's Jazz III guitar picks, and it said a bunch of things which generally implied

"oh yeah this guitar pick will make you a beast shredder. john petrucci and mark tremonti and joe bonamassa use them there the best. it will make you better"

with a sigh of disbelief i decided to give them a shot cause what the heck...im desperate. THEY WORK!!!!!!!!! GO RIGHT NOW, IF YOU ARE INTO SHRED, AND BUY ONE OF THESE PICKS!!!!! the sharp point and rigidity make it glide across the strings with almost no resistance, cleanly articulating every note! they apply exactly the amount of force to the string that you exhert with your wrist, a direct transffer of energy, its truely astonishing. if shred is your thing and your looking for a pick that will improve your accuracy and articulation, GO BUY SOME!!!!!

Disclaimer: if you suck at shred/soloing/speedy-playing-in-general, you will NOT notice a difference. this is a post for the people who can shred well and KNOW they can shred well. if you have been playing for 8 months and think you can play YJM well.........your just not going to notice a difference. in fact you might think these picks are WORSE because you simply dont know what your doing. also, jazz/blues player might want to check this pick out as well, after all bonamassa uses one.....but back the point of the disclaimer. if you dont like shred, and you cant play it, you will not like this pick. if you LIKE shred, and you CAN play it, go out and try this pick and i GARUANTEE YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO USE A REGULAR PICK AGAIN!!!!!!

double disclaimer: play with this pick for at least a few days straight for a real test of its abilities. i didnt like it for about the first couple hours of play, and it takes a smidgeon of a learning curve before your used to the new size/response. good luck...

..youve obviously not tried carbon nylon 'the edge' picks have you
i might have to try these. i got the gator grips cuz corey from trivium uses them and i dont really like them, that was a waste of $4.00. but yeah ima try these. i think i read somewhere mick thompson uses these too. but yeah i think a smaller pick would be something i need, im always grabbing the pick at the back and then i cant tremelo pick as fast and sometimes it messes with my alternate palm-muted picking.

oh yeah and the Dava pick thats flexible is shit too.
Last edited by toddpens8771 at Mar 7, 2007,
To me they're not versatile enough because they can't strum. So after buying a pack full of them, I went back to Dunlop Nylon 1mm.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
They are slightly small.

Let me put it this way:

So:

I think the jazz one and two's are bigger
Quote by Kris_man
To me they're not versatile enough because they can't strum. So after buying a pack full of them, I went back to Dunlop Nylon 1mm.

I can strum with them :P, although I don't. I usually just strum with my index and then switch back to the pick. One of the better picks out there right now. Jazz III and the TRIANGLE.
so does anyone else have problems strumming with these things? I was going to try them out after reading this thread, but they will be useless for me if you can't strum with them.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
so does anyone else have problems strumming with these things? I was going to try them out after reading this thread, but they will be useless for me if you can't strum with them.

It could be the fact that I have massive-ish hands, but I have no trouble strumming with these.
hmm, you would think that would make it harder with bigger hands, so that's good. I guess I'll give em a try, this is far too many positive responses not to. thanks man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ehh...no offense...

But big deal. Jeez, this is worse than those ghey 'lose weight now' infomercials.

"BUT WAIT! THERES MORE! BE RETARDED IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND GET A WAFFLE CONE ABSOLUTELY FREEEEE!!!"
^Those picks have been out for years. It's just now that all these "Shred kids" are starting to catch onto these things.
I have been using these picks for years.

I always played rock/metal style but about 8 years ago I started playing death metal and the big picks I was using were getting in the way when I was tremelo picking.
Our drummer ( but he also plays guitar) suggested I try smaller ones so I went and bought a whole load of small ones including Jazz IIs (less pointed), Jim Dunlop Stubbys and a few others, and I settled on the Jazz IIIs a long time ago.

One other thing - the black ones rule, but the red ones seem to be a different polymer. They are smoother and less grippy, also they often have a rough mould line around the edge.

The black ones for me!

Although they cost more than 30 cents - around 60p I think - probably $1.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
use them too. BLACK JAZZ PICK= perfect for shredding! And jazz. Hence their name "jazz"
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
They would sell a ton more if they called them "Shred III" or "Metal III".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I used them for a while but i found they worked well for soloing and stuff but for me they seemed to wear my hands out very fast when playing PMed down stroked things.. so i went back to normal picks.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
How are these diffrent from the Dunlop Stubby 3mm?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Maybe take a normal heavy pick and rub it against a stone pole? that sharpened my pick up real good.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
sounds like the new article in Guitar One, tbh

I made the switch over a year ago and its obvious they helped my playing a good deal
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Quote by Erock503

Of course you CAN strum with them. But I was playing in a Jeff Buckley covers band, so needed an ultra light touch. I was forced to use the Jazz III for one rehearsal and I had to hold the pick so lightly, I dropped it several times.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
I cant shred but I do love these picks. Lucky for me it was the pick I learned on. I've been playing for about 5 years and I woudn't play with any other pick.
Yeah definitely the ideal shred pick, I've been rocking the Jazz II's and III's for almost 2 years now, my sweeps are flawless, alternate picking attack is accurate and my economy picking is entrancing, ahha this pick is sick.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Cabron1
..youve obviously not tried carbon nylon 'the edge' picks have you
I've got some of those. They're not as good as Jazz IIIs or my favourite, Jazztone 205s, but better than regular sized picks for speed playing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I like both the regular Jazz IIIs and the larger version, which I find a little easier to get behind for fast alternate picking and that type of stuff.
Quote by lumberjack
i GARUANTEE YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO USE A REGULAR PICK AGAIN!!!!!!

ok so that garuntee was usless.
i used the black nylon and the purple tortex version for about 3 weeks and now i use them very sparingly.
i much prefer my Dunlop tortex SHARP 1mm. much more versatile and still has that nice sharp point. and i like the fact i can choke up on it if i need/want to.
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
I personally use both black and red jazz II's, because they work alittle better for nonshready stuff, IMO.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I use them, and haven't lost one for about...since September. Yeah, they pwn. I use both black and red ones and then occasionally a Jazz II.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??