Page 1 of 2
I need some opinions on this so I could write a newspaper article for my school.

Now, of course there's a couple gems here and there, but in an overall factor, there's more crap out there than good ones. Looking at the IMDB Bottom 100 page, half of the bottom ten are from the yr. 2000's. Moving to the bottom 20, eleven of those are from the yr. 2000's. In fact, the majority of bad films on that list are from this century, and more are coming out.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Cidade de Deus (not a Hollywood though) are the only yr. 2000+ movies that are in top 25 spots on the IMDB Top 250 list. The rest of the good movies produced and made don't even come close to movies in the past.

Yeah, I know the lists are mostly opinions of others and that it shouldn't be the offical ranking spots of any movies, but #1. that's my source for now and #2. it's acurate enough.

So UGers, what do you think?
If they'd spend more time creating plots rather than employing twenty thousand (rough estimate) special effects people, they would probably make better films.
Most of my favorite movies have been modern movies.

And studios are still cranking out great movies. Martin Scorcese has been on a roll since 2000 (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed). Wes Anderson makes arthouse movies with big budget support.
Poor advice.
Quote by Dæmönika
If they'd spend more time creating plots rather than employing twenty thousand (rough estimate) special effects people, they would probably make better films.

film studios should definately employ more writers to come up with some decent scripts, rather than get so many special effects people to make a garbage film.... i liked the departed, which did not have extreme special effects or such, just a well written film..... although 300 does looks pretty sweet, lets just hope it has a good plot
Yeah, I haven't seen a good American movie in a long long time, although that upcoming movie about the old woman with the dolls who was murdered and comes back from the dead looks pretty good (sorry, I can't think of the name)

Also, bloody gorey movies aren't scary. Violence= not scary.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
The new Tarantino/Rodrieguez collobaration looks cool, a tribute to old grindhouse stuff
Quote by Dæmönika

Spot on.
I find myself buying more and more far eastern films because they tend to go for substance over style. Although usually plenty of style too
Quote by grantml02
Yeah, I haven't seen a good American movie in a long long time, although that upcoming movie about the old woman with the dolls who was murdered and comes back from the dead looks pretty good (sorry, I can't think of the name)

You consider that a good american film

American Splendor, About Schmidt, Sideways, Being John malkovich, Magnolia, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Melinda and Melinda, Adaptation, Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Punch Drunk Love, Brokeback Mountain, Gangs of New York....

You see where I'm going with this?
Poor advice.
Quote by grantml02

meh, thats the one from the writers and director of saw, it looke pretty cheesy and unscary to me on commercial, but thats just my opinion
Quote by stellar_legs
Most of my favorite movies have been modern movies.

And studios are still cranking out great movies. Martin Scorcese has been on a roll since 2000 (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed). Wes Anderson makes arthouse movies with big budget support.

Except The Departed sucked. As I see in your avatar (to lazy to try to spell it right) Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. Even newer Black Snake Moan is a really good movie.

So in short, yes, Hollywood can make good movies. The good ones are in betwen the horrible ones like Wild Hogs and I Think I Love My Wife.
Im a fool for frenchy movies.
especially Audrey Tautou
Mexican films are AMAZING, the latest three to be released in the US are Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and Babel.

all three are great, check them out.
i havent watched an american made movie since......Chicken Little? i think.....
fight club anyone?
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
There are a few, but I much prefer less mainstream cinema. I love French films in particular, like the Three Colours Trilogy and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films.
Hollywood is making great movies at the moment. It's just that films are easy and cheaper to make now so there's a lot of garbage. Also it's big business at the moment so there's more garbage. The quality output is still high.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Masterpiece2

So in short, yes, Hollywood can make good movies. The good ones are in betwen the horrible ones like Wild Hogs and I Think I Love My Wife.

don't forget gilli or however you spell it, the movie with jennifer lopez and ben afflec
that was probably the worst movie i've ever seen (i was forced into watching it )
it is imposible to make movies as good as the old ones but thats the same in music, painting, etc... Of course there is alot of shit but in the last two, three years there has been some high quality films. Just check anything from scorcese,. eastwood, woody allen, etc..
I think the quality has gotten a little better lately. Still the carence of creativity is obvious.
You can realize that when you see most movies are versions of oldies or books.
Quote by FeatherBreeze
Im a fool for frenchy movies.
especially Audrey Tautou
Mexican films are AMAZING, the latest three to be released in the US are Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth and Babel.

all three are great, check them out.
i havent watched an american made movie since......Chicken Little? i think.....

Mexican filmmakers refuse to compromise, which makes them great. Their films are done exactly the way they want, with all the graphic nudity intact.

Masterpiece, you hated The Departed?
Poor advice.
Quote by 2lazy2getbetter
fight club anyone?

*yawn* Oh, I'm sorry. We're talking about good movies right?
Poor advice.
Just saw Zodiac last friday, and it ranks below Fight Club and Se7en on my David Fincher list, but it was still really well done. It had one of the more realistic onscreen kills I've seen, and Robert Downey Jr. was great.
Quote by stellar_legs

*yawn* Oh, I'm sorry. We're talking about good movies right?

Well, tomato tomotto.
Last edited by GardenGnome26 at Mar 7, 2007,
Sin City, 300...I'm loving Frank Miller these days.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
IMBD is a HORRIBLE place to look for "evidence". It's only been around for a few years so of course it's bottom 100 will be littered with new movies. All new movies are going to get rankings, even the bad ones. The only old movies that are going to be rated by people are going to be the ones they remember well, or their favorites which they of course are going to give good ratings. There are some ridiculously shitty older movies out there. They will never be on the bottom 100 though b/c nobody remembers them. IMDB is only going to give you very skewed information on people's changing views of movies through the years.

Personally, a lot of my favorite movies were made recently.
Quote by stellar_legs
You consider that a good american film

American Splendor, About Schmidt, Sideways, Being John malkovich, Magnolia, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Melinda and Melinda, Adaptation, Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Punch Drunk Love, Brokeback Mountain, Gangs of New York....

You see where I'm going with this?

yeah you just kept getting gayer and gayer, i mean you started out pretty bad
i figured it would get better since you started so low but no.....just worse and worse, movies like that are what fuel american stereotypes for other nations to hate us about thanks --'

brokeback is a horrible attempt to make a sappy gay-love story.
sorry nigga
Quote by FeatherBreeze
i figured it would get better since you started so low but no.....just worse and worse, movies like that are what fuel american stereotypes for other nations to hate us about thanks --'

sorry nigga

Goddamn, what the fuck is a good movie to you, Bad Boys 2?
Poor advice.
Quote by FeatherBreeze

sorry nigga

Well clearly you like garbage overbudgeted blockbusters and shoddy horrors than films.

Go watch your damn film industry bi products and realise that the whole point of this thread is discussing that the very films you like are those which may or may not destroy the industry.

To that question I always quote George Clooney. 'I make the crap movies so I can afford to make the good ones.'
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
What you say about imbd not true. If you go section by section in genres of films you see a lot of unknown amazing movies. You just have to search. Of course if you go the top 100 movies ever, you will only see lord of the rings and ultra famous movies, you only have to know where to look.
Quote by Rankles
^ Well clearly you like garbage overbudgeted blockbusters and shoddy horrors than films.

Go watch your damn film industry bi products and realise that the whole point of this thread is discussing that the very films you like are those which may or may not destroy the industry.

To that question I always quote George Clooney. 'I make the crap movies so I can afford to make the good ones.'

In my opinion, george Clooney is the greatest living representative of moviemaking right now. Fantastic actor, brilliant and risky director/producer.
Poor advice.
cant beat british movies they never let me down...america films for me have all these hype and a huge let down where as british films even if there is a hype there amazing like it was said up there with the plot and the effect etc, british films go for the plot side with a low budget, look at dog soldiers...that film made more profit than spiderman cause of the low budget and the plot...

Quote by stellar_legs
In my opinion, george Clooney is the greatest living representative of moviemaking right now. Fantastic actor, brilliant and risky director/producer.

I love how he can do another Oceans sequel one week and then we get something like Good Night and Good Luck.

Oh and that other n00b mentioned Babel and Children of Men.

Just because a movie recieves partial funding or is located in a different country, doesn't make it non US.

The main cast members are huge moviestars. They're hardly little indie films.

Quote by beeboshain
cant beat british movies they never let me down...america films for me have all these hype and a huge let down where as british films even if there is a hype there amazing like it was said up there with the plot and the effect etc, british films go for the plot side with a low budget, look at dog soldiers...that film made more profit than spiderman cause of the low budget and the plot...

I think I see one decent British movie a year. The industry is terrible at the moment, too hung up on social 'realism' dramas about poor people or over stylised indie flicks.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by americnidiot

film studios should definately employ more writers to come up with some decent scripts, rather than get so many special effects people to make a garbage film.... i liked the departed, which did not have extreme special effects or such, just a well written film..... although 300 does looks pretty sweet, lets just hope it has a good plot

I'm seeing 300 on friday. It should be excelent, as Sin Cuty was. But if its a 2 hour fighting cockfest, I wouldnt care. It'd be like listening to dragonforce.
I'm back, you douchebags.
brokeback mountain is a great movie. When i went to see it i though it was going to be like really sensible crap, but it turned out to be a really crude simple movie. Great directed, great photography, great soundtrack. Not that good of a script but that was the point.
Quote by Rankles
I think I see one decent British movie a year. The industry is terrible at the moment, too hung up on social 'realism' dramas about poor people or over stylised indie flicks.

Well make sure this year's british film is Hot Fuzz
Nice

Good responses and suggestions for films, and for those who doesn't think IMDB is a good source for movies and reviews, what other sites should I go to?
Running with Scissors was a damn good US film. Annette Bening should of been nominated for an oscar. =/

The last foreign film I saw was Non ti muovere (Italian film) with Penelope Cruz. Absolutely amazing.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I think your polls of the IMDb lists are flawed. The reason that the bottom 100 are all recent is that people don't watch old bad movies. Can you name the movie that most people thought was bad from 1960? I can't.

But people will watch old GOOD movies. If you ask about great movies from 1960, you'd get The Apartment, Psycho, things like that. The rankings are as they are because fewer people have seen old bad movies.

And yes, Hollywood can and does make good movies. The thing is, they make movies first and foremost that will make money. The studios produce things like "Ghost Rider," which is complete shite, because it will (and did) make a lot of money. But there have been plenty of great movies out of Hollywood in the last decade.

And to the guy who said this:

"In my opinion, george Clooney is the greatest living representative of moviemaking right now. Fantastic actor, brilliant and risky director/producer."

Clooney is good, but he's just this generation's Clint Eastwood. I'd go with Eastwood as the greatest living filmmaker. His acting is excellent, and he's directed and produced some of the best films of the last 20 years. Who doesn't love "Unforgiven" and "Mystic River?" And he just keeps getting better with age. Here's hoping he lives to 138.
Can't stop the signal.
Last edited by search49 at Mar 7, 2007,
I think there are still great movies out there. Like Blade, Saw, V for Vendetta (has a real strong meaning behind it)... sure, there are bad movies, but when you see a comedy these days with Will Ferrell, or Ben Stiller, your gunna go see it the day it comes out.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
I think there are still great movies out there. Like Blade, Saw, V for Vendetta.

Those are all big budget shit meant to draw your ass in a theatre.

I'll never understand this fucking Saw craze, as long as I live. It's by-the-books Psychological Thriller 101 shit. "Ooh, but the twists! The twists!!" Anyone can write this garbage.

Saw is a "The 3" movie. Anyone who's seen Adaptation understands that...
Poor advice.
Those are all big budget shit meant to draw your ass in a theatre.

I'll never understand this fucking Saw craze, as long as I live. It's by-the-books Psychological Thriller 101 shit. "Ooh, but the twists! The twists!!" Anyone can write this garbage.

Saw is a "The 3" movie. Anyone who's seen Adaptation understands that...

saw one was one of the lowest budgets films of th year

Quote by beeboshain
saw one was one of the lowest budgets films of th year

RIIIIIIGHT...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Page 1 of 2