Hey, I have a question. I've been playin for about a year 1/2 and am fairly good. These guys at school have been wanting me to be in they're band for quite a long time,and i was wondering if you guys think i should go for it. Of course, these guys are my friends and all , but I'm afraid that the life expectancy for this band might not be very long.

What do you guys think i should do?
Do not start a band with your friends. I did and almost lost two of my best friends.
I think you should go for it, one of the best ways to improve your skills is to play with other musicians. If you're worried about the life expectancy of the band just play with them until you guys decide to stop. Very rarely it turns out that the first band you're in is the one you stay with for life or a very long time. If you mean you don't think they are gonna take it seriously and just kind of mess around, I would probably not play with them then because it's usually just a waste of time. The first band that l played with spent most of our "practice" time playing video games and it was a complete waste of my time so you make the call whether it will be a waste or not. I hope that helped some.
Quote by 21xanadu12
Do not start a band with your friends. I did and almost lost two of my best friends.

Ummm, alot of bands are or started as a group of friends. Now I see what your talking about, me and a friend are starting a band and I already have to choose between 2 friends, and one may not be happy in the end. But you just got to realize that if someone is truely your friend, they may get might be mad for a bit, but they should get over it.

And to answer you question, I think you should go for it, join the band.
Thanks, I think they would take it seriously, but the drummer and I kinda dissagree on what songs to play. We havn't gotten together as a band yet (cause I havn't decided) but we talk about it durring school...
Quote by guitarist_TN
Thanks, I think they would take it seriously, but the drummer and I kinda dissagree on what songs to play. We havn't gotten together as a band yet (cause I havn't decided) but we talk about it durring school...

Alot of drummers seem to be like that.. (No offensive to the cool drummers out there) I've only found a drummer yesterday that is willing to play what we want to play and not be over controlling..
I suggest you do it. But also, there is a possibility you could leave the band and lose your friends and your musical knowledge and tastes grow. I used to be in a band with 3 friends, we because best friends, and then I realized that it was a crappy Green Day cover band that never practiced and only played Xbox during practices.

I quit, and they hated me for a while. I'm good with two of the guys now, but the bassist and I still don't talk.

But the band I left them to form is amazing. The feeling of being in a band is indescribable. You'll never want to play by yourself again. It just doesn't seem right.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
But the band I left them to form is amazing. The feeling of being in a band is indescribable. You'll never want to play by yourself again. It just doesn't seem right.

You are correct.

Alot of drummers seem to be like that.. (No offensive to the cool drummers out there) I've only found a drummer yesterday that is willing to play what we want to play and not be over controlling..

My drummer just wants to play. Anything. He'll play it.
Ok , I think you guys have talked me into it. I think i'll give it a shot. Do you have any suggestions for a good song or songs to start with. We're all into Rock "n" Roll. Basically any kind. I'm up for Suggestions....
Have a go, but if it don't last you had better make sure you keep your friends at the end of it, and for a starter song, have a go at Ruby by Kaiser Cheifs, Empire by Kasabian or maybe Sad But True by Metallica if you are more into the whole metal thing
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
I am 95% against being in bands with close friends, however sometimes it's neccessary. I grew up in a small town of less than 3,000 people. My high school had about 300 kids. Out of those 300, there were maybe 12 who played instruments, then it came to conflicts of styles. I started persuading my friends into buying instruments. It broke up once they admitted they weren't serious. I remember one particular incident.

I went to pick up a friend who I was playing guitar with, they said "Practicing this much is getting boring..I don't even really want to play"... I told him to get out of the car they looked at me laughing and said that they had no problem with it.

The point is... if you are limited on resources, you can't be picky about things. If these guys are just acquintances or mutual friends you have nothing to lose.

Any experience you get right now is good experience. Each time I played with a group, regardless of how terrible they were, there was a life lesson to be learned.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^Yeah, i live in a small ****ing village, theres lives like 1000 people here, Our band doesnt have a drummer, no actuall singer, and like 5 guitarists(but like three of them never shows up.), however its fun, we are not serious but anyway.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Quote by sgtsniff
^Yeah, i live in a small ****ing village, theres lives like 1000 people here, Our band doesnt have a drummer, no actuall singer, and like 5 guitarists(but like three of them never shows up.), however its fun, we are not serious but anyway.

Lol. Wtf?

Wouldn't that just be more of a jam session?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Or two guys playing guitar?
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only