hi all

I recently moved to an apartment (yay out of my parent's house finally). As you can imagine, I can't make too much noise or the neighbours will complain.

A friend of mine bought some things from musicstore.de and I though wth, going to get a low watt cheapest amp on the store. So I got a Fame Megatone 15w. Big mistake, the amp sucks.

So I was thinking if you guys can tell me a good amp, 'till 150€ more or less, 15W tops, so I can practice with good sound and low noise (one with headphones input would be awesome). Maybe a roland cube 15 or a roland micro cube? or there's better options than those?

I play some metal but mostly rock. Want something that has a good clean sound and can handle distortion.

Thanks in advance
The Microcube is better than the Cube15...IMO. The MicroCube has more features. But both have headphone jacks too.
micro cube is awesome.

the 15 watter in vox's valvetronix line is also pretty nice.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
The Cube 15 is horrible. I own one.

Either get a Vox DA5, Roland Microcube, or a Line 6 Guitarport/UX1/Ux2/KB7.

If being quiet is necessary, going through your computer is always a viable option.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks for the input guys

Quote by FacingUsAll

If being quiet is necessary, going through your computer is always a viable option.

I though about that but I only have a laptop and a good external soundcard with ASIO is a little expensive. I rather spend my money on an amp

Quote by gpderek09

the 15 watter in vox's valvetronix line is also pretty nice.

Wow. This amp has excelent reviews, and I think I feel more confortable buying a 15w than a 2w, no matter how awesome the microcube is I'll be checking this one out. You ever played on one?
Hello,

I am also planning on buying one as it got great reviews.I haven't played one though,but if you're into metal (I know I am) everyone says it's not really the ultimate low budget amp.
This being said,I am sure it excels and rock and blues.Please go and check www.valvetronix.net where lots of users have shared their presets and made spot on recordings...see if you like the sounds.Notice that out of the tons of presets available,there are close to none for metal purposes.
Anyway I'll keep watching this thread and if you test one for metal (even with a pedal in front) let everyone know...thx.
I wouldn't recommend them for live play or recording, but Line 6 has a bunch of smaller sized amps that are actually really great practice amps. You get all the effects built in, and they sound pretty good for just mucking around in your apartment. I wouldn't necessarily jam or gig with them, but as a practice amp, they're pretty great.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by refus3d
I though about that but I only have a laptop and a good external soundcard with ASIO is a little expensive. I rather spend my money on an amp

The Line6 Toneport is essentially an ASIO soundcard. I use it with my laptop and it works great for practising.

Also, check out the Hughes&Kettner Edition Blue series. I have the 15R and it's also very nice as a small practice amp. The clean channel sounds pretty good, and it takes pedals well. It doesn't have any onboard amp or effect modelling, though, so if you want that sort of thing, the Cubes or Line6 amps might be better options.
How loud is the H&K amp ? I am tempted by the 30R which has an fx loop (I own a zoom g2) and a 10" speaker but I am afraid I won't be able to play it without blowing the neighbours doors off even at low volumes :-s.
Blood0NyourLips, great site man thanks. It'll be usefull if I choose that one, and if I do I'll let you know how it handles metal

Revalk, thanks for the tip.

indrek13, humm, sounds nice, but how's the sound quality? You have any speakers plugged in your laptop or you use the internal one's?

The thing that attracts me more on the valvetronix is that it must have a great sound quality. I mean, if I wanted to play some ACDC for example, in which amp you guys think it would sound better? As maxter0 said, the valvetronix is good for low-mid gain, so it's better for rock than the cube's or the toneport. Anyway just my 2 cents, I don't have much experience with amps.

You guys should know that unfortunatly i'm going to buy an amp based on user reviews and comments. The only local music shop I have around here only have expensive marshall's and fender amp's and bc rich guitars hehe. I just go there to buy strings. So I don't have the option to go and try some amps
I'm with you on this one as I am in the same situation...no real option of trying out amps@store.
Valvetronix must be the best practice amp out there according to the reviews.Think it handles AC/DC rather good,but heavier stuff...don't think so.But then again...there is the option of buying a pedal in front for more distorsion so ... I have to decide quickly,in about 1 week...between Micro Cube and Valvetronix.The rest I'd have to bring from abroad and that would make them insanely expensive...hey,that's the country I live in .
Keep in touch.Look at the Ibanez Valbee also,5W,allt tube,fx loop.
A pignose, Maybe a Hog 10 or 20. Also, the 7-100.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
I'm with you on this one as I am in the same situation...no real option of trying out amps@store.
Valvetronix must be the best practice amp out there according to the reviews.Think it handles AC/DC rather good,but heavier stuff...don't think so.But then again...there is the option of buying a pedal in front for more distorsion so ... I have to decide quickly,in about 1 week...between Micro Cube and Valvetronix.The rest I'd have to bring from abroad and that would make them insanely expensive...hey,that's the country I live in .
Keep in touch.Look at the Ibanez Valbee also,5W,allt tube,fx loop.

I have a small beringher UM-100 distortion pedal. Dunno what is capable of on a decent amp. Anyway, I won't buy the amp very soon, maybe at the end of the month :\ Trying to sell this one first to get some money. Just spent a buttload on the apartement with a little help from my parents of course. I'll check those too when I get home and the one's woodenbandman pointed out. Don't have much time now. Check valvetronix's website, they got sounds clips and it sounds great

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
How loud is the H&K amp ? I am tempted by the 30R which has an fx loop (I own a zoom g2) and a 10" speaker but I am afraid I won't be able to play it without blowing the neighbours doors off even at low volumes :-s.

I play mostly with the clean channel. Channel volume is set to noon, and master volume between 10 o'clock and noon, and that's loud enough. 30W is a bit on the loud side for home use, I think, but then again you won't be pushing a solid state amp to its limits like you would a tube amp.

Quote by refus3d
indrek13, humm, sounds nice, but how's the sound quality? You have any speakers plugged in your laptop or you use the internal one's?

I have the Toneport connected (via the Analog Out) to an old Soviet stereo amp with equally old 35W speakers. Sounds good enough to my ears. Alternatively, I use a pair of Philips headphones for quiet practise. I don't use the laptop's internal speakers very often.

The Toneport (and the amp/effect modelling software that it comes with - Gearbox) has pretty good sound quality as well. I've recorded a couple of demos with my band using the Toneport, and people have given very positive feedback, saying the sound is excellent for a home-made recording.
Quote by indrek13

I have the Toneport connected (via the Analog Out) to an old Soviet stereo amp with equally old 35W speakers. Sounds good enough to my ears. Alternatively, I use a pair of Philips headphones for quiet practise. I don't use the laptop's internal speakers very often.

The Toneport (and the amp/effect modelling software that it comes with - Gearbox) has pretty good sound quality as well. I've recorded a couple of demos with my band using the Toneport, and people have given very positive feedback, saying the sound is excellent for a home-made recording.

That sounds nice but I dont have any other amp. Well, I have an old Sony stereo at home but my dad still uses it he just loves that thing. And the laptop internal speakers are sucky Who knows, if I ever join a band might get one of those to do recording hehe Guess my best bet is to stick to the amp.

I still can't take the valvetronix out of my head lol. I just wish I could try it first.

Blood0NyourLips, quoting one of the reviews:

When I'm feeling like playing something a little heavier, I use my Jackson JS-20 Dinky with EMG's and set to "nu-metal" this thing sounds like it's about to set the place on fire, in a good way!

I think with distortion and a good guitar this amp is really good, but I really don't know if it is better than the cube. Good luck on your choice man. I think I already made mine
I have some recordings made with the Microcube through the recording out to the PC. Judge by yourself: http://amlc.dmusic.com/
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by refus3d

I think with distortion and a good guitar this amp is really good, but I really don't know if it is better than the cube. Good luck on your choice man. I think I already made mine

So you're goin' for the Cube ? :P
I'm also checking some info on the Crate V58.While it seems to be awfully expensive,it sounds superb from what i've heard.Hope they can make me a good offer.
Does anyone know customs&brokerage fees for shipping from US to EU ? Sorry for the slight offtopic.
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
So you're goin' for the Cube ? :P

Haha. Nah. I'm going for the valvetronix, unless I can find something better suitable for me within that price range, which I doubt it.

That V58 appears to be nice. Musicstore.de doesn't have that one. $270 @ Musiciansfriend.com. Kinda expensive indeed.

The shipping fees from US to EU are quite expensive. A friend of mine paid 100€ +- from ordering some T-shirts from Interpunk.com
Grats then,I think I will buy one as well.Just called the local store and they said they have a Valvetronix in stock.Don't know when I'll be able to pick it up though.
Looking forward to crankin' up some nice tones.
Hehe! Nice man! I'm only getting mine at the beginning of April so let me know how good it is Have fun
Recently I've seen another amp that caught my eye...the Roland Cube 20x.
While we know that the Micro is awesome and the 15x is kinda bad (actually this is reflected by the price,the 15x is cheaper than the Micro)...the 20x is fairly more expensive than both and features lots of amp models and a power squeezer.ANybody tried that amp out ? Thx,
Check the reviews on harmony-central.com. Seems to be a kick-ass amp and better for your style

edit: Cube 20
I have ordered the Ibanez Valbee.5W,all tube,fx loop.Hell I dunno,for 189 EUR sounds like a deal to me.Will come back with more on the subject.
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
I have ordered the Ibanez Valbee.5W,all tube,fx loop.Hell I dunno,for 189 EUR sounds like a deal to me.Will come back with more on the subject.

Gratz When you get it record some sounds so you can show us! I'm still with the valvetronix but if this one's better I'll get this one.
Thanks to this shitty country where you can't find anything and anybody is trying to flame you, I gave up on everything and I'm buying a micro cube.Gonna take it outside at the lake and sing with my buddies,goddammit.It's arriving next week.
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Cube 15 is horrible. I own one.

lol, i've also got one, it's just a study-amp remember It's a great amp, good speaker, but don't only use the build-in distortions and overdrive.... but it's a fine amp!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
i wouldn't say it's "a fine amp."

but i will say it does what a cheap, 15 watt practice amp should accomplish.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
it's better then all those f'kn jumpstart amps or cheapass ibanez junk :P My brother blew up his bass-amp right away (volume on 4 :P)
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
I really doubt the Ibanez Valbee is junk man.Have you tested one ? Because all reviews say it's awesome,and it's 5W full tube so it can match any 15W SS.Plus it has the FX Loop.
I haven't tried one myself and due to some communication problems I ended up empty handed even though I had ordered one...anyway,if you tested one,let us know.
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
I really doubt the Ibanez Valbee is junk man.Have you tested one ? Because all reviews say it's awesome,and it's 5W full tube so it can match any 15W SS.Plus it has the FX Loop.
I haven't tried one myself and due to some communication problems I ended up empty handed even though I had ordered one...anyway,if you tested one,let us know.

I think he was talking about the low-end ibanez amps, not the Valbee. GL with the microcube

Anyway, I've been thinking so much about this I think I'm not buying the valvetronix anymore. Just formed a cover band with a bunch of friends, so I think I'll buy a Valvetronix 50w or a Roland Cube 60. To practice at home I'll use my megatone, yes it's crap but enough to practicing. I'm used to it already and this way I save some money
I have a question for the more experienced : I am trying to avoid endless tweaking on the amp w/ effects and I already know how to setup my Zoom G2 to get nice sounds.
But I see this amp...which has the FX return where I can plug the G2 (actually I run a different preamp,am I correct ?)...now I have 6 EQ controls on the G2 and 4 more on the actual amp.
Now with 10 EQ settings I am guaranteed to grow old before I find the tone I like...simply to much tweaking.My question is : if I run a different preamp in the fxloop,then will the tone shaping knobs (bass mids high presence) on the AMP affect my tone seriously ?
Or all is done in the preamp section ?
Thx.
Btw I AM getting the VALBEE...it's crazy how I changed orders so many times because people were not trustworthy.Now I found a good deal...but I am worried that Valbee + MFX = endless tweaking.