Help Choosing...No clue what I'm doing

Okay I have been trying to find a site with musicians on it like this is for awhile. I have played guitar for about 1 year and hated it so I quit. However I wanna play bass (it sounds so much cooler to me than any other instrument) and am going to buy one in the near future. The question is do I go with a beginner bass pack or something more reliable.

The basses I've been considering are

The silvertone lb11 bass package - 200 usd

The epiphone EB-0 bass package - short scale- 250 usd

Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP Active Electric Bass - I only have 220 saved and its 300 plus I'd need an amp - but it is a good name brand

Epiphone Thunderbird IV Reverse Electric Bass - same price and problem as the peavey, i'd still need an amp and other supplies.

So those are what I'm feeling... I currently have 220 usd but I am willing to save if it is for the best.

The bands I like are Brand New, Foo Fighters The Killers, Taking Back Sunday, Bush, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Say Anything, and Blink 182 (guilty pleasure)

So advice would be appreciated
get a begginer package. dont spend more money on it unless you know you like it and know what you are doing and i dont think your one yeard of guitar gives you that experience needed. so get a beginners package.
I wouldn't bother with a package. They may be cheaper but you get a sub-par instrument and a REALLY crappy amp. I'd take the money you've got and get yourself a quality instrument and keep saving for an amp. Don't need an amp to start learning. Its been my experience that when you buy a cheap instrument when first starting out you'll get frustrated because the instrument is bad and quit.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
i would also suggest an ibanez gsr200, $210 usd, but no amp, definitly good qualitly for the price
My advice is to go to a store or a friend's house and try the instrument out first. When I got my bass, I found out that I didn't like it. Thankfully I bought a cheap one, so it didn't cut in my budget too much. If you buy a cheap one and do like it, then it's gonna suck since you will want a better one. If you buy an expensive one and you hate it as much as guitar, then you're gonna kick yourself for it. That's my advice. Anyways, good luck.
If you know, for a fact, that you are going to stay with bass and play it for a long time, go ahead and invest in something somewhat decent. If you are unsure, get a starter pack.
Get a starter pack. No offence or anything with you quiting guitar you now have a track record. There is no point in spending big bucks on an instrument then say oh I hate it. Besides beginner basses are usually quite decent and while the amp is usually quite sub-par it is MILES better than without one.
OLP BASS STARTER PACK!
I wish i'd got that thing so badly
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
The Yamaha GigMaker bass pack is very good. The bass you get is IMO better than most other basses in the $200-300 range. The amp is pretty good too. I would recommend this pack more than buying anything else.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I say get the Silvertone Amp. It is really cheap, it is a extremely decent Bass for the price (Hell I still use that old peice of crap to this day), and it is neutral enough to find your own sound.

(Even though the most you will do with that amp is practice by yourself or with an acoustic, it still is a decent little amp with some versitility in it!)
Sorry, but with your previous experience with an instrument, I'd say don't bother getting a bass yet. Borrow a friends if possible, play it, make sure you like it, and then get a cheaper starting pack. If you splash out now and you end up hating it, you'll regret the money loss.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
As dinky said, dont splash out because you might not enjoy it, look at the yamaha RBX170, its a very good bass and not expensive at all
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Squier P Bass Pack, the amp is actually quite good for a pack deal and the bass is great for the price
Always buy the best you can afford. If you can afford a $500 bass, buy it. if you hate it in 2 months and dont care that you will lose half the cash, fine. my girlfriends sister started on a Stingray and that's all she has ever played. and yeah she is rich. the bitch.
Yeah always try before you buy something new to you. If you don't, in the end no matter if you got a package or something better, you might not like it and end up being pissed for putting money on it. If you do like it, get something better than a package if you can afford it.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Applehead
Always buy the best you can afford. If you can afford a $500 bass, buy it. if you hate it in 2 months and don't care that you will lose half the cash, fine. my girlfriends sister started on a Stingray and that's all she has ever played. and yeah she is rich. the bitch.

This is one time I have to disagree. To buy an expensive bass for your first bass isn't a smart idea at all. What happens if you don't like it? You just said you'll lose half the money selling it. It makes way more sense to just spend $250 on a starter pack and then if you really like it in a year or two upgrade to whatever you want.
Just don't buy a Thunderbird. I wouldn't have thought they would be a nice bass to learn on. But I don't really like them much, so my opinion is rather biased
Quote by opticon
I wouldn't bother with a package. They may be cheaper but you get a sub-par instrument and a REALLY crappy amp.

Got to disagree with you here the aren't REALLY crappy they're REALLY REALLY crappy.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I have the Silvertone LB11 pack, it's pretty good. The bass is good, but it is my first bass, so I don't know how good it is compared to other basses, it looks great too (I have the Cobalt Blue one). The amp is pretty decent, it's loud enough. The pack also comes with an instructional DVD, which teaches you the basics so you can get started. The tuner is easy to use too. So... I guess it's a good pack, I'm a beginner and it was good for me....

Good luck, man.
It doesn't really matter what you start on, unless you're an OCD bastard that wants to sound better when practicing in your house.

Your tone when practicing by yourself doesn't matter, which is what you'll be doing when you're first starting off. Just be sure to get an instrument that won't be bad for you later on. Like a tuba when you want to play bass. Tubas won't help bass skill.

Also, just because you don't need an expensive bass for tone, don't be retarded and buy one of those $35 Wal-Mart basses either. See the tuba comparison.
Quote by TurdOrz
Like a tuba when you want to play bass. Tubas won't help bass skill.

I'm sorry hate to be a Bitch here but actually it could help your reading skills by learning the bass clef really well like you would learn with a tuba. Do I have a disorder or something?
get a bass package. the logic is simple. if u dont like it, you wouldnt hav lost as much money, if u spent 150 on the bass, u can sell it for 100 to someone who also wants to try bass. but if u buy a 800 bass, who are u gonna sell that to?

also... you've only played guitar a year, so i doubt your the most awesomest musician yet. so for the next year or two you can practice at home, with ateacher, maybe a friend every once in a while, until your good enough, THEN you willk now if like the isntrument, and can upgrade. whatever u can afford now or in the near future will not be sufficient enough for any kind of gigging. a 100 watt amp will fill no more than a large classroom with good acoustics or the smallest of gigs.