Have any of you guys/gals ever undergo a Bass Ephiphany? What I mean is that, you unassumingly go on to practice whatever song, or just fool around on the bass, and suddenly learn a new skill or something that you haven't been able to do before?

Well, not to brag or anything cuz it's not too special, but I was just fooling around, trying out a tab for "Addicted to that Rush." I never could do the tapping part, but then just now, I could do it pretty accurately to how Billy does it in the videos, sans his tone.

I'm pretty happy
yeah man, the first time i learnt to play Schism all the way through i nearly cried i was so happy with myself.
Originally posted by soul_rocker
i like to pee from the shower into the toilet. it makes me feel skilled.

Respect!
Bass epiphany? Probably the moment I realized why women always seemed to want to sit on my amp while I played. That was the day I truly became a man.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Yes, the first time I actually nailed a walking bass line in jazz on the first time with just a chord sheet. It was Autumn Leaves and the instructor was amazed as well, to the point that he said he wished he had been recording it. It sent shivers up my spine and was such a high.

There have been other times, but that was definitely one of the best.
The moment I realized hot chicks don't care what you play... as long as you're on stage and look cool.
haha
Probably on Sunday when me and my drummer got together to practice and we really got a good tune down but doing it smart. Like when we were sitting at the keyboard figuring out a chord I could play and then going back and writing it on the form sheet we made it just really just gave me a tingle. I suppose that's more of an overall musician epiphinany and not really an epiphany at all but whatever.
When I finally managed to slap and pop, I'd been trying for a while with no success, and then one day I just did it perfect.

Very proud moment.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
^same here

unfortunately i'm relegated to a pick for the next couple of weeks cause of stupid tendinitis

the doc said I play too much, then i said i only play for 3 hours a day most days entirely finger-style with a bit of slap and pop, he said exactly.....
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
There's a few.... when I played my first complete bassline perfectly (Nothing Else Matters) and played it at a BoTB competition.... and some of the comments afterwards...

When I got the tapping part down to Metropolis Pt.1.... I didn't realise I was doing it until my mate walked in and was like "woah, I thought that you were just playing the CD"

When I realised that everything doesn't have to be in standard tuning, and that D5 modal tuning is a great tuning for soloing in with sliding chords
Quote by SeepZ
yeah man, the first time i learnt to play Schism all the way through i nearly cried i was so happy with myself.

Haha I don't know about crying but I was pretty pleased to nail that.

Being able to play the whole of Kyuss' Sky Valley album through was a major milestone for me (on bass and guitar) - it's my favourite piece of music.
The other day when mucking about with my mates improvising a jazz version of paradise city, we all just linked in with each other so well even though none of us knew what the other would do. Really made me feel good, and when i won a talent contest with a band i got loads of compliments
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The first time I zoned out while just mucking about with some blues and realised that I was still playing 5 hours later.

When I first learned how to use a pick - that was kinda cool, it's hard stuff sometimes.

When I first learned how to slap - I then went through a phase of slapping so much it pissed people off massively.

Subsequently learning how to pop...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
when i got my slap down

and still a bit fuked with the pop tho
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
when i first got my bass the very first thing i played was the intro to "higher ground" just about perfectly, now i cant get that triplet feel anymore
Epiphani? Yeah, they make some nice cabs and heads, but they aren't cheap.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Felkara
The first time I zoned out while just mucking about with some blues and realised that I was still playing 5 hours later.

When I first learned how to use a pick - that was kinda cool, it's hard stuff sometimes.

When I first learned how to slap - I then went through a phase of slapping so much it pissed people off massively.

Subsequently learning how to pop...

Same here! When I finally got the slap & pop down that's ll that I would play. Everywhere I went it was slap&pop, plugged in or not, got on many peoples nerves, especially the parents. but now I whoo them with my nice slow funk. Then, after I have them, I blast them with chordal pops and super fluid slapping.

Love the Low end