okay, so im freaking out here.

i like tube tones, but, in the long run, it will be just TOO expensive for me to change and rebias them, and just keep care of tube amps. (im 13, money doesnt come easy. took long enough to get the damned thing)

so i was thinking of a nice solid state, NICE solid state.

i would say around ~$500

im not sure about this yet, but i want to see if theres an SS amp that would possibly satisfy my needs.

i dont care about size, just tone quality.

i play Metal, Thrash, Classic Rock and modern rock.

help/thanks!
Get a job. I had a job when i was 11. shovel snow and do stuff like that. apply at a radisson. you can work there in housekeeping at 13.
ive never played a good solid state amp cuz tube is amazingly better.
People in this forum seem to hate Crate, but my friend is A metal thrash player and he loves his crate solid state. I dont know the exact model but its the latest one its 120 wats combo, 3 channels. Not bad.

edit: Its about 500$
Also, save money. If you are good you should get good stuff.

Look, Im 14 i have a mesa dual rectifier and a schecter c1 classic. I have a job, so i have plenty money laying around, its not like a teenager needs to pay bills.
Last edited by schecterboy3000 at Mar 7, 2007,
vox valvetronix. get the 60 watter, i really liked it's high gain modes. they're much better than the 15/30/50/100.

i think it's about $600 right? if not, check ebay.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i did the math.

30 x 5 = 150. plus around $50 for installation, and $50 for rebiasing. i cant come up with $300 like that.

thats why i need a solid state.

plus i think some crushing distortion straight from an amp would come in handy.

^its hybrid. it still has some tubes in it.

people i want to pay for tone not size.

man this sucks. i dont want a solid state, but for now it looks like im stuck there.

well i live in this city and michigan, and everyone here is stuck up pricks and noone will take me. all i get is $15 a week.

and then for christmas every two years i can get it retubed and stuff.

oh boy. what a great gift.
Last edited by Arlabester at Mar 7, 2007,
$100 for instillation and rebiasing?

you're getting ripped. try $30, MAYBE $50 for both.

EDIT: you'll never have to change that tube. it's one pre-amp tube, running at one watt. seriously.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
$100 for instillation and rebiasing?

you're getting ripped. try $30, MAYBE $50 for both.

EDIT: you'll never have to change that tube. it's one pre-amp tube, running at one watt. seriously.

oh.

anyway.

yes i am getting ripped.

for 3 dimarzios they wanted 250, they were supposed to be 180, then for installtion, 65 for one pickup, and 15 for each other one.

nice deal huh?
schecterboy3000 theres no way in **** you got a mesa dual rec at only 14 years old. if you do, post a picture of it with you next to it holding a sign saying "Toddpens8771, you've been pwnd" and if you do, ill ****ing shit my pants.

Thats my challenge to you.
can't you learn on your own?

I'm planning on doing so...good thing I don't need to re-bias my tubes...unless if I'm going to switch em' with something else...

Job? Anything to sell? That's how I payed the majority of my amp and I'm only turning 15 this year....
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
wait i think itll be a lot cheaper.

i found the FENDER tubes, for about $60 for all the tubes.

i still dont know about the installation.

but w/e.

mods plz close this thread.
Uh, I'm fourteen, and I've had my amp (tube) for more than a year, and haven't spent a penny extra on it yet, or taken any special care.

(Although i had to get it repaired with the warranty
Quote by yeahyeah
I don't like recommending stuff I haven't played but I've heard nothing but good reviews for tech 21 stuff. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Trademark-60-Combo-Amp?sku=480215

When we were trying out people for this band I was in a couple years ago, someone came in with that amp. It's really not a bad amp at all, I was pretty impressed with it. It's definitely worth looking into.
Quote by schecterboy3000
ive never played a good solid state amp cuz tube is amazingly better.
People in this forum seem to hate Crate, but my friend is A metal thrash player and he loves his crate solid state. I dont know the exact model but its the latest one its 120 wats combo, 3 channels. Not bad.

edit: Its about 500$
Also, save money. If you are good you should get good stuff.

Look, Im 14 i have a mesa dual rectifier and a schecter c1 classic. I have a job, so i have plenty money laying around, its not like a teenager needs to pay bills.

You don't take into account gas, women, and (not so much anymore) drugs. Three of the most expensive things in my teenage life.

@threadstarter:
Tube amps do not cost that much to maintain. You're blowing it a bit out of proportion. But the loss in money is wholly made up in sweet sounds.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
^

@ women.

if you gettin laid you best be paid.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

It'll cost around £40 each year or 2 to maintain one, that's all.
And you can switch valves easily yourself on a self bias amp, yank the valves out, put the new ones in.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
self biasing and fixed bias are very different. With fixed bias like a BJ, you would want to get tubes that are tested for that bias range. Self biasing would change to accomodate the tubes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ok, but you will regret selling it imo..

Check out Randall RG50, good amp that shopuld suffice for you!
Quote by Erock503
self biasing and fixed bias are very different. With fixed bias like a BJ, you would want to get tubes that are tested for that bias range. Self biasing would change to accomodate the tubes.

VJ, not blow job.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman

VJ, not blow job.

he's talking about Blues Junior
Pwnd

j/k
Quote by woodenbandman

VJ, not blow job.

that's Blues Junior bro. Someone needs to get laid more.

Quote by False_God
Blues Junior

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Rather than allowing your poverty to reduce your level of tone, you should get yourself a book or two, a biasing tool, and start doing some minor maintainence yourself. Or start hanging out at the guitar store, and annoy the techs until they let you watch what they're doing. Buy your tubes in matched quads, and you'll only have to re-bias every other time you swap 'em out (assuming two power tubes).

Switching to SS would be a major mistake. One you'd regret. Especially when you try to sell your new SS amp a year or two from now, only to find you can't even get half what you paid for it!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.