ive always to do this (not for a living just to get a few more bucks) i'll probably do it inside school first anyway if you've ever done this post your experience or your thoughts on the subject
^ you misspelled wanted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i've thought about this as well. i think the way to go would be to get a small amp, and play some bluesy shit. it's easy for people to identify with, and they'd be more willing to drop a buck or two. tell me how it goes if you follow through with it.
i play my acousti in the major artistic section of my city all of the time during the summer, on a good night i can get like $300 for playing about 4-5 hours.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ckellingc
you prolly need a permit.

none is going to stop you unless, where you live, the ops are reall tightass, your playing something thats pretty offensive, or local residents/businesses complain, and then theyll usually just tell you to move somewhere else.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
i play my acousti in the major artistic section of my city all of the time during the summer, on a good night i can get like $300 for playing about 4-5 hours.

Dude that's way more than what people earn in formal jobs!
And I'd like to play on the street but I still don't know enough songs and don't play that good.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Dude that's way more than what people earn in formal jobs!
And I'd like to play on the street but I still don't know enough songs and don't play that good.

yeah, but i only get that much like 2 nights a month tops, usually i get like $50-$100 and sometimes ive gotten as little as $10, its by no means a steady source of income.

Last.fm
Not recommended trying that at school. Believe me . I almost got kicked out, because this is a pretty serious school and they thought that the fact that I was playing an electric made me a dangerous punk, who could ruin the school's social image .
Not to be a dick, but isn't there already a busking thread?

I've tried it a few times before, didn't make much money. Maybe $50 for almost six hours of work. Some places will have you rolling in green, though. Funny thing is, I can't really afford to travel to those places, mainly because I get shitty amounts of money right now.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
i played my acoustic at school for the lunches when they left the lunch room, i got about 50 cents a day, but the people at this school r poor, i wanna learn to sing and play and play at the local safeway...
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by freedumb
i've thought about this as well. i think the way to go would be to get a small amp, and play some bluesy shit. it's easy for people to identify with, and they'd be more willing to drop a buck or two. tell me how it goes if you follow through with it.

I don't know if that's on purpose but in your signature fuhrer is spelled wrong.
What's up?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
none is going to stop you unless, where you live, the ops are reall tightass, your playing something thats pretty offensive, or local residents/businesses complain, and then theyll usually just tell you to move somewhere else.

certain places do require a permit for street performers.
Ive done it before in Seattle on an acoustic w/ a friend singing. Went pretty well, we got about $50 if i remember correctly but every bum that walked by had that look like he wanted to kick our asses cuz we we werent homless nor were we pretending to be and they thought we were purpously trying to "steal their money". Just be careful not to get your ass kicked by bums and locals. Oh and some cities requier panhandaling permits because thats considered panhandaling so u might wanna look into that as well.
EDIT: 50$ for about an hour in case you were wondering. We were in front of the showbox for about half an hour before a concert started there and then we went over and played in front of pikes place market for about another half an hour.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

nah im pretty sure you need a busking permit
Some Guy?
Quote by staticoverdub
certain places do require a permit for street performers.

yeah, id ask people in your local area, my experience is that usually the permit laws arent enforced and are only used if you are being disruptive as an extra punitive charge. And a lot of places (at least in the US dont have permit laws at all, and when they are passed they are gennerally shot down as being unconstitutional.) Im not sure about how it works in other countries.

Last.fm
where i live you do have to have a permit to busk
but in places like train stations and shopping malls
doubt theyd give a shit if it was right in front of your house or something aha
Sounds stupid to make you have to give a permission to play. I mean, you actually are helping to spread the culture.
I mean, how can you hate this?:

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Over hear in England you need a busking permit or something like that.
Here in Aussie i think you just need to ask permission.... for instance say you wanted to busk in a market you'd go to the market manager before hand and say, "can i please...." and normally they don't care or they'll give you a spot. That's what i do.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
I see a few guys play in Redbank every so often and wanted to just plug into the micro cube and play for a while with the looper but never got aroundd to doing it yet.

warm weather would be nice too...
if you do it with an electric guitar you are more likely to run into problems with needing a permit and whatnot, even if you are just using a micro cube or something similar, because people tend to associate them with being louder thus being easier to regulate. Plus if your by yoursilf doing the whole singer/songwriter accoustic thing tends to atract more attention, and bring in more money.

Last.fm
good idea iv got a little amp that hooks over mi sholder its great see if you cand find one its even got an overdrive button on it lol

be carefull which guitar you use you dont want a bunch of idiots to give you a hard time and scuff up the finish on your fav axe
in london you need a permit, and its pretty fiercely regulated, especially on the london underground.
lol, there is a blind guy at chancery lane station sometimes that just whistles.
thats all he does.
he doesnt even whistle in tune, but by god, you can tell from the way he sways that he is feeling the groove regardless.
there are some great buskers though, and yeah, the majority of them play blues.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
I've always wanted to do this as well, except not ask for any money. Just kind of perform my own songs and get a chance to play in front of people. There's not many places in Indiana anyways where you could play for money on the streets, especially living in the country where we don't have bums or homeless people.
Quote by Partyboy2k05
I've always wanted to do this as well, except not ask for any money. Just kind of perform my own songs and get a chance to play in front of people. There's not many places in Indiana anyways where you could play for money on the streets, especially living in the country where we don't have bums or homeless people.

theres plenty of places in indiana to do it, maybe not where you live but ive played in indianapolis, new albany and evansville before, im gonna go hit up fort wayne at some point.

Last.fm