Alright, so I'm working on my rhythm playing, and I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some metal albums(anything but black metal) with good rhythm playing. Please nothing incredibly technical and intricate, something challenging but not to challenging. Also, please do not reccomend me any of the big four thrash bands, because I'm getting sick of Metallica, I already listen to Megadeth 24/7, not an Anthrax fan, and Slayer played slow sounds horrid. Any other thrash like Testament is welcome though. Thanks.
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by punk_mike_88
Alright, so I'm working on my rhythm playing, and I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some metal albums(anything but black metal) with good rhythm playing. Please nothing incredibly technical and intricate, something challenging but not to challenging. Also, please do not reccomend me any of the big four thrash bands, because I'm getting sick of Metallica, I already listen to Megadeth 24/7, not an Anthrax fan, and Slayer played slow sounds horrid. Any other thrash like Testament is welcome though. Thanks.

Pfft...try some Opeth, they have some nice rhythm guitars.
Obviously Meshuggah is fun to play along too. Mastodon is also good for rhythm chops and timing that isn't that difficult to get into. Early Sepultura is also great for your rhythm chops,assuming you don't already listen to them(Arise, Benieth the remains,etc).
I myself am currently working on my "metal rhythm" playing. I've been playing along to A LOT of older Kreator songs, along with bands like The Accused, Judas Priest (especially the album "Killing Machine"), Obituary, older Cannibal Corpse (and some new), Sodom, Metallica (Kill 'em All album only; the only album I can take from them)... a lot of rhythm based stuff. Most of the songs from these bands are accessible for a beginning metal rhythm player, and are fairly simple and fun as hell to play and master.
Last edited by live_fan at Mar 8, 2007,
thrash, the genre with the best rhythm guitars. true death metal is good too. deicides new album has some great rhythm. all the old death albums are fairly simple but challenging rhythms. forbidden is a good thrash band if you can find any tabs. but overall, if you wanna develop good rhythm guitar skills, id say Testament's Practice What you Preach and The New order, Metallica's Master of Puppets, and Slayer's Reign in Blood. Kinda cliche, but those are some of the best rhythm albums to learn with.
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul. That entire album is chock full of super-tight rhythm playing.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Dark Angel and Death Angel
The Haunted fan club #1 (PM me to join)
Amon Amarth fan club #3
Member #3 of the METAL MISSIONARIES club
Member #8 of the anti CoF club
#10 MEMBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB
Bloodbath. Any album.

Opeth- Orchid (any album)

Not metal but Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Any Old School thrash album pretty much, check out some overkill, Testament, Megadeth, Kreator, Annihilator, Exodus, or some classic slayer.
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.