Im building a guitar and I want to paint the finger board white. Can I do it or would that just screw everything up?
are the frets already on? if so im pretty sure it would mess it up, but if you havent put them on yet, you can sand it down.

that being said, ive never made a guitar before, so i probably dont have the best advice
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
fretting would grind the paint away quickly. it'll undoubtedly screw everything up. don't.
yea thats what i thought, i was just hoping i could but a finish on there or something so the paint wouldnt grind away.
Think about how a clear lacquer finished maple fretboard looks after a while. The clear finish gets worn through. No finish other than oil is normally applied to rosewood or ebony, so you don't see the same thing happening. White is also really bad for showing dirt from playing. You would constantly be changing strings and wiping the paint down with Fantastik or something to clean the Dorito residue off.
If you really want a white fretboard, there are ways of legitimately bleaching maple chemically. It looks very, very pale when done. You could then refinish with a spray lacquer. Somewhere I have info on the process, but I think it's quite easy to do and doesn't damage the wood. You could probably google it.

Here-
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Bleaching_wood.html
Last edited by Vulcan at Mar 7, 2007,
You could make the fretboard out of holly. I don't know how well that would work, but it's worth a try.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by TwoString
You can use several coats of enamel. It will work, just look at Prince's guitar.

Yes, but I'm quite sure he doesn't care how long it lasts. He can afford to have it redine every day if he wants or to just keep buying new ones.
for a laugh, I wanted to put colored stickers on the first few frets of my old guitar, mimic-ing the guitar hero controller...I doubt such stickers exist tho, lol. It would be pretty hillarious to play at a party tho, since guitar hero seems to be the life-of-the-party these days...
It can be done, seriously. You don't have to worry so much about the finish wearing through if you just keep the strings and fretboard clean. I've been able to keep the finish on my maple neck for several years with no worries. At most, the finish has been rubbed a little and has a bit more gloss in some areas, but it has yet to wear through.
Quote by TwoString
I've been able to keep the finish on my maple neck for several years with no worries. At most, the finish has been rubbed a little and has a bit more gloss in some areas, but it has yet to wear through.

That means you're not playing enough
Painting the fretboard will make it really sticky and eventually scabby and flaky. Don't do it!!!