i want an amp that is very vesatile. thats why i bought the vox valvetronix. i play everything from metallica to red hot chili peppers and stevie ray vaughan. i love blues/rock and metal and hard rock and classic rock.

should i just look into a higher end hybrid amp like the marshall avt series or line 6 vetta series? or is there a tube amp out there that i dont know of that is versatile enough for me?
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
I wouldn't advise buying the avt or the line 6, there's better for the price. Check out used Marshall JCM 900s they're all tube and should suit your playing style well, or if you want a true high gain amp, check out 5150s. I think the 900 would be an awesome amp for you though if you won't need the extra gain of the 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 7, 2007,
Price range? If you want a serious step up, then get a tube amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
price doesnt matter. ive played 5150/6505's and i dont like them at all. my best friend has one and i always play on it and ive even sat there for hours and tried tweaking it and i just couldnt find a good tone. i just want something that can play heavy metal and classic rock and have REALLY good cleans. so i guess maybe a marshall but what series?
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by voxdude26
price doesnt matter. ive played 5150/6505's and i dont like them at all. my best friend has one and i always play on it and ive even sat there for hours and tried tweaking it and i just couldnt find a good tone. i just want something that can play heavy metal and classic rock and have REALLY good cleans. so i guess maybe a marshall but what series?

JCM 900 sounds exactly what you're looking for then, it will satisfy your gain needs for Metallic and everything under it, it can get a little more gain, but if you want more, you'll need an overdrive pedal or something

It's an awesome amp, I was going to get one before I got my 5150, but it just didn't have as much gain as I needed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
my only problem is that when ever i go to guitar center and play on the marshalls there, im disappointed. there arent like what i expect.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Yeah I know the feeling, people told me 2000s were good and I went and tried one and was completely dissapointed. If you can find a 900 somewhere, try it, I think you might like it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ill def look into it. what about a mulit-effects? maybe that could help me shape my sound more. i was looking at a Boss ME-50. its go solid reviews and ive played on it and liked it.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
I don't suggest going with multi-effects. Single effects will be your slot...unless if you're talking about a deluxe memory man or something (from what I've heard).

You seem to be really picky about what you want your tone to be like...

I say try everything out there...

Orange; works very well with what you want.
Mesa Boogie...; I say check out a Stilleto/roadking or a lone star.
Fender; Will work well with what you want...you may need a pedal for the metal though.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
well what i was thinking about doing was trying a few different preamp tubes in my Vox to see if that can help my sound a little. i really do like my Vox alot because i can get so many tones out of it. Although, the distortion and overdrive is limited. thats why i was looking at a multi effects to get those more distortion options and plug get better effect options. i am VERy picky about my sound and most amps that people worship, ive played and didnt really like. ive tried MANY fender amps out there and have LOVED the cleans but even with $300 distortion pedals it just doesnt seem to work.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
My suggestion won't be popular but I'll share it anyway. I don't like modeling amps (for live use anyway) but I've found that something like a GT-8 or PODxtLive can sound oustanding provided it's programmed correctly and run into the right amp. A couple of years ago I found an early-70's Ampeg VT-22 (an EXTREMELY loud tube amp with a really versatile EQ section and an incredible clean sound) for a paltry $500, (well, actually $620 including shipping from Canada) and it honestly makes the amp-modeling of a Line 6 PODxtLive live up to the advertising hype. I bypass the XTL when playing clean but anything from Fender jangle to Engl high-gain sounds amazing through this amp, most versatile setup I've ever used.

Most people will think I'm full of crap (I would have too a couple of years ago) but I've owned 11 or 12 amps over the years and this setup sounds better and is more versatile than any of them, including the last two I owned, a Mesa Stiletto and a Framus Cobra. My suggestion is really this: It doesn't even have to be the same gear I'm using, but for great sound quality with alot of versatility I just think it all starts with having an amp with an amazing clean sound, and adding pedals or modelers from there. I was a tube-amp distortion-only guy for over a decade but now I think the key to everything is having that amp with a clean sound you love and alot of power. I know I'll probably get flamed but I just thought I'd share what's been working for me.

In regards to Marshalls, they make some great amps but I've never heard one with what I'd call a really great clean sound, which does seem important to the TS. IMO, the best clean sounds I've heard from non-boutique amps have come from Fenders, Ampegs and HiWatts. I've owned a DSL and a Lee Jackson-modded JCM800 and, as great as they were, I could never get a truly great clean out of them.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
hmm i see what you are saying. i did a little research today (skipped school and went to guitar center instead haha) and i played on a Peavey XXX half stack for a LONG time. i played on each channel for a good while just playing around with different stuff and tweaking the EQ. i REALLY liked the XXX and it suited every style i play. the cleans were great for blues and just overall cleans sounds. the crunch channel was great for classic rock and anything involving crunch tone. the ultra channel was great for leads and playing metal. id had more than enough gain. i played a ton of maiden and metallica on the lead channel and it sounded great. another thing i liked about the XXX was that i didnt have to crank it uup to get a good sound.

sorry about my rant but i was completely blown away. and ^^^ i see what your saying and im really taking that into consideration.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion