so i am thinking about building my first guitar and i have a question. i want a gibson burstbucker in the bridge position for all my classic rock needs. i also want a humbucker that provides me with more depth for the heavier stuff. now i know usualy they have a bluesy souding pickup/humbucker in the neck position. but i want to put an EMG humbucker in place of that, well not exectly in the neck position but almost right above the bridge humbucker. about a half inch above it. i was wondering if this will efect the sound of the humbucker? i was also looking for any recomendations on what EMG to use. with the EMG i am looking for a deep metallica sound.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
most EMGs are active pickups.

mixing active pickups and passive pickups = one big headache.

that burstbucker will work just fine by itself.

an EMG in the middle will work just fine by itself.

using them both at the same time will be a problem.

even if you use a 500k volume pot (to get the best advantages of active pickups you should use a 25k), when you have both pickups on at the same time, the low impendance buffer in the EMG will load down the passive HB.
what little you get from the burstbucker will be muddy.

passive + active = just say no!

using a bridge and middle layout is a great idea, as far as the sound.

but, the middle might end up being right where you pick, and be in the way.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I wouldn't put the 'neck' humbucker right above the bridge humbucker. Because it will affect the tone. The neck humbucker won't big as warm sounding, and won't have a big bottom end, since it's closer to the bridge.

Also, you don't NEED an EMG to get a heavy metal tone. Your amp will be more influential in getting a metal tone than pickups.

Personally, I feel that Gibson pickups are way too expensive.
Check out a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 or a Custom Custom for an aggressive PAF voiced humbucker for your bridge position. That'll do classic rock heavy, and be aggressive enough for metal.

Then check out either a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz or an SH-1 '59 for the neck. Those'll do classic rock well, and with the right amp, be able to do metal. Mark Morton of Lamb of god uses '59's, so they can definitely do metal. The '59 is a bit brighter than the Jazz, fyi.
i will never be using them at the same time i dont do that now on my epi and i wont do it then. i like the sound of the bucker by itself
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
okay then, you'll want a minimum of 2 pots.

separate volumes for the passive HB (500k) and the EMG (25k)

a SPDT switch after the volumes to select which pickup.

if you want tone controls, the easiest would be separates for each pickups.

you could use a DPDT instead of the SPDT, for the pickup selector, and use the second pole to switch a single tone control, when you switch pickups, but don't put the tone control after the volume controls. it won't work well there.

good luck
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.