Sorry, I'll apologize in advance because I am new to guitar.

So the problem is my high e string is breaking often. I have to admit, I tune my guitar strings a lot. I'd sometimes tune it down to D to play one song, then about an hour or 2 later, tune it back to E to play a different song etc. I never go higher than E because none of the songs require me to go above it.

The thing is, I have broken my e string about 4 times the last 1-2 week. Does constant retuning from D - E - D - E make my string vulnerable to breaking? Also, am I doing wrong by tuning my e strong differently all the time? And lastly, is there a specific string that i could use that would prevent my string from breaking so often from retuning? Thanks in advance.

Oh, I use D'addario , Phosphor bronze, light. the thickness is .012 for e string. I finger pick using an acoustic guitar.
Where is the string breaking?

If it's near the bridge or nut, you should check there for any pointy/sharp burrs that could be breaking your strings.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The string is breaking near the tuning knob, so I'm guessing it's the nut.
Check the tuners too?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
hm.. I don't see anything pointy/sharp with my normal eye sight. The string snaps whenever I try to tune it back up to E from D. From what I can remember, it breaks right at or near the tuner.
Quote by geo3tech
hm.. I don't see anything pointy/sharp with my normal eye sight. The string snaps whenever I try to tune it back up to E from D. From what I can remember, it breaks right at or near the tuner.

Take some floss and rub it through the nut and tuner and see if it breaks/gets frayed.
Quote by utsapp89