Page 1 of 2
Pretty straight forward question, in what part of the world is metal the biggest in??

I'd love to know, and move there, lol. I was thinking Finland maybe.
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Really though,,,for as many awesome bands that come out of scandinavia there isnt a huge scene there really,,,,,if you go over to japan though they have shit loads of scenage for metal,,,,thats pretty much where a lot of the scandinavian stuff gets their foothold in first,,,,Japan even has tv shows( or at least one) that are focused on rock/metal guitarists
Quote by rokket2005
Really though,,,for as many awesome bands that come out of scandinavia there isnt a huge scene there really,,,,,if you go over to japan though they have shit loads of scenage for metal,,,,thats pretty much where a lot of the scandinavian stuff gets their foothold in first,,,,Japan even has tv shows( or at least one) that are focused on rock/metal guitarists

boris
Quote by rokket2005
i dont follow,,?

they're a japanese metal band.

well, sorta.

they're more experimental.
usa????

i know aus is getting some good hardcores. parkway drive. srsly check them out.
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
Daedalus

oh,,i didnt take the question necessarily as where the most metal comes out of,,,but where it is most accepted and has the most influence,,,,of course if we were going by places that have the biggest/most influential metal bands Japan would be nowhere near the top of my list,,,,nor many other peoples either i wouldnt think,,,
i was just saying that I think sweden gets more credit for having a scene than it really does though,,,,i remember reading an interview with one of the big bands out of Gothenburg ,,,i think it was Dark Tranquillity,,but it mightve been either in flames or Soilwork too,,,and the interviewer said something to the effect of "Whats it like having such a huge metal scene" to which the interviewed replied "metal scene?,,,we dont really actually have one"
Last edited by rokket2005 at Mar 8, 2007,
id say Europe in general has a big scene, the US has a HUGE metal scene overall, id say.

Quote by the_man101
you need a time machine, go back to 1980-1989 to the sun set strip

that depends largely on your definition of metal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Sweeeeeeden
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
What metal do you like? Because different countries tend to focous on different genres. Norway= Black Metal, Sweden= Melodic Death, Compton= Gangsta rap and so on.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
c'mon people, it's all about britian, i mean those guys pretty much created metal, black sabbath, iron maiden, judas priest etc. plus i've heard a lot of bands agree it's always the craziest and biggest turn outs in britian
[url="http://www.myspace.com/luxterna91]...And Now The Descent
Quote by clincher09
"I like maceroni and cheese" "Yeah well it's not as good as Tool. Did I ever tell you guys about Tool? Lateralus is the best thing ever."
Norway, Sweden, or Florida.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by seokorn
usa????

i know aus is getting some good hardcores. parkway drive. srsly check them out.

yeah even theres not many guys that really seem to make it big there are pleanty of metal/hardcore/metalcore whatever ****in genre they call themselves bands goin around all over australia at the moment. i live in a small remote town and we get metal bands coming up from around the whole state and sometimes interstate every couple of months for shows
Quote by X_Deathrow_X
Pretty straight forward question, in what part of the world is metal the biggest in??

I'd love to know, and move there, lol. I was thinking Finland maybe.

Finland sent Nightwish and Lordi to eurovision so I guess that Finland wins

c'mon people, it's all about britian, i mean those guys pretty much created metal, black sabbath, iron maiden, judas priest etc. plus i've heard a lot of bands agree it's always the craziest and biggest turn outs in britian

True, but now days from what I've seen it's full of punk shit.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

in Finland HateCrew DeathRoll dethroned whichever britney spears album had been sitting in Finland's Soundscan chart for #1 album in the country...Finland wins
The death metal act? Florida? No? Death, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation...
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Nowadays i'd say scandinavia, but in the 80s I would definately say Britain
Member #21 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join
SRV+Rory Gallagher>All

Quote by willpulman_172
powerslave756 speaks the truth.

I'd have to say scandinavia too, more sweden than norway or finland though
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
What about the biggest metal scene in the US? I know Death was from Florida, like that one dude said. I'm still wondering how much California is still into the metal, after the whole hair metal movement passed.

And what about Canada? I've seen that COB has had shows in Toronto, and I think Toronto's pretty big, lol, I wouldnt know tho, I'm hidden away in WV.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Scandinavia has a big one, but the Canadian metal bands today are fantastic too...
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
A girl I know that lives in Norway says to me that ALL of the people at her school like at least 1 metal band, and to most, metal is their favorite genre. All of her friends pages have like Necrophagist and shit as their favorite music lol. They are also huge on 80s thrash and pop metal there...

EDIT

Quote by X_Deathrow_X
What about the biggest metal scene in the US? I know Death was from Florida, like that one dude said. I'm still wondering how much California is still into the metal, after the whole hair metal movement passed.

And what about Canada? I've seen that COB has had shows in Toronto, and I think Toronto's pretty big, lol, I wouldnt know tho, I'm hidden away in WV.

Almost every band from where I live, (Long Beach, CA), is either an emo, screamo, or hardcore band, it sucks. The only metal bands that go to my school are Nuclear Holocaust (Purely Thrash) and my own band, Basket Full of Puppies (Glam / Thrash / Death / Prog). When I lived in New York it was the same way, but in my time in Long Island I never saw ONE local metal band play, it was all hardcore and emo...

Slowly there are more and more instrumental metal bands coming up in Long Beach, but thats pretty much only due to the recent boom in virtuoso / shred guitar instructors who started teaching in my area.
Last edited by KissingShadows at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by Daedelus
Scandanavia.

without a doubt.

not the best metal, but the biggest scene.

Agreed, but I do think it is the best metal.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
wacken is the biggest metal fest in Germany, and in norway black metal is pretty big

EDIT: The shows in Toronto are really good when you go walking down the steets an hour or 2 before the show it is packed with fans.
Last edited by Shredder6 at Mar 8, 2007,
Boston shoots out some good metal-core bands.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by Instrumetal
Scandinavia has a big one, but the Canadian metal bands today are fantastic too...

I must have been under a rock for the last few decades, please give me some names to check out.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
cali ??
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
my room.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
MASSACHUSETTSSSS has the best hardcore scene. Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Unearth, Bury Your Dead, and Staind all came from mass in the past years and thats a pretty stacked group just from one state.
I think South America has a big market for metal music. And the Middle East as well. or maybe I'm just making this all up.
my back garden. Seriously. I have Venom locked up in my shed...

and speaking of Venom, Britain, having created the metal genre, should by all rights have the biggest scene.. but no. It definately has to be them Viking lot up North and a little bit East... I mean, Death, Melodic Death, Gothernburg Death, Doom....

however, I invented Pirate Ninja metal

EDIT: and did someone say Staind were hardcore?

as much as I like/respect Staind, they are definately not hardcore. Nor are Killswitch etc. They metalcore. Hardcore is an offshoot of Grindcore (or is it the other way round?), so bands like Napalm Death are in that fitting... who I believe are also English
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 8, 2007,
Where would a metal band have the best chances of getting signed to a pretty big label?
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Page 1 of 2