So, I want to know how to use scales, mainly the major and minor pentatonics, in my playing.

Suppose scale 'X' is:

e|----------------------------------------3-5-7-|
B|----------------------------------3-5----------|
G|-------------------------4-5-7----------------|
D|-----------------3-5-7------------------------|
A|---------3-5-7--------------------------------|
E|-3-5-7----------------------------------------|

How do I use this to improvise?

What do these notes imply?

HOW DO YOU USE SCALES!?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
How do I use this to improvise?
Basically, learn the scale so well that you don't have to think about where to put your finger to stay within that scale. Once you've done this, you can just try random combinations of notes over some random rhythm track. At first it'll sound like shit, but soon enough you'll notice certain sounds that just sound good with things. Now keep in mind, different backing tracks will have different sets of notes that match up well from different scales (though if you're using the *correct* scale, hypothetically every note will at the least not sound bad). Eventually you can learn to move scales up the neck using modes (modes are just a different form of a scale at a different point of the neck). Once you've completely memorized every mode of a scale, then you can go really crazy and go all over the entire neck and get an even greater range of sounds.
What do these notes imply?
Hm... I'm not 100% what you mean here. Basically, say you're listening to a rhythm in say the key of E, there are certain scales that will sound good over it (an E minor pentatonic for example). So, these notes imply notes within that scale.
HOW DO YOU USE SCALES!?
To improvise
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Hey, abt Minor pentatonic and major pentatonic, when i play E major do i use minor or major pentatonic? I often get confused abt this coz i play a blues progression on E key and use the E minor blues..
Quote by areola
Hey, abt Minor pentatonic and major pentatonic, when i play E major do i use minor or major pentatonic? I often get confused abt this coz i play a blues progression on E key and use the E minor blues..
Minor pentatonic is the same thing as the minor blues scale, only the blues adds in an extra passing note.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
to use scales correctly it helps to understand chord/scale relationships.... name a chord progression you'd like to solo over and we can go from there
Quote by Stash Jam
to use scales correctly it helps to understand chord/scale relationships.... name a chord progression you'd like to solo over and we can go from there

Um. Sorry to be the noobcake, but what's a chord progression?
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
basically the chords of a song. So for instance G Am C D is a chord progression
Quote by areola

Yeah blues is pretty much the only style where soloing over a major chord with a minor scale with the same root note is acceptable (ex. soloing over an E7 chord using E minor pentatonic). The minor/major ambiguity is sort of the trademark of the blues sound

Like 12 bar blues in E would be E7 A7 B7

those are all dominant chords and don't fit into any one key. Conventional theory doesn't really work well/isn't necessary for playing blues. It's more about feel and phrasing.
Last edited by Stash Jam at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by Stash Jam
basically the chords of a song. So for instance G Am C D is a chord progression

Oh, ok. So, I wanna play in G C D Am. Now what?
Myspace Streaming Only

well over that you would use the G major scale ...do you see how those chords are all in the key of G?
Quote by Stash Jam
well over that you would use the G major scale or E minor scale...do you see how those chords are all in the key of G?

Not really; no.
Myspace Streaming Only

use a Gmaj pentatonic...
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Dude, the chords are G C D Am; won't I use Cmaj Dmaj and Aminor pentatonics also?
Myspace Streaming Only

Gmaj Pentatonic or straight Major Scales has the exact notes as an Em Pentatonic or Straight Minor scale..

Just emphasize the different root.. if you like, count the intervals.. start with G maj intervals.. you will find a Em scale in the Gmaj scale..

eg: ps: My no.3 isnt workin so i cant get that sharp logo..

G Am Bm C D Em F*m G = Gmaj Scale

now looking at the Em
just take the Gmaj n start from the Em instead.. here goes..

Em F*m G Am Bm C D Em..

same thing goes for any other key, C for instance..

C D Em F G Am Bm C... now to get the Am..

Am Bm C D Em F G Am..

get it??
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by xtopher_aaron

Am Bm C D Em F G Am..

get it??

just for clarity the key of C doesn't have a B minor chord...it's B diminished aka Bm7b5

and it's D minor, not D major
whoops.. sorry bout that.. had a ciggy in my hand..
Quote by xtopher_aaron
Gmaj Pentatonic or straight Major Scales has the exact notes as an Em Pentatonic or Straight Minor scale..

Just emphasize the different root.. if you like, count the intervals.. start with G maj intervals.. you will find a Em scale in the Gmaj scale..

eg: ps: My no.3 isnt workin so i cant get that sharp logo..

G Am Bm C D Em F*m G = Gmaj Scale

now looking at the Em
just take the Gmaj n start from the Em instead.. here goes..

Em F*m G Am Bm C D Em..

Am Bm C D Em F G Am..

get it??

*and...he faints.*

I have absolutely no idea about what you just *explained*.

PS: I do know all the notes on the fretboard, so I kinda made some snese out of it.
Myspace Streaming Only

He is talking abt relative minor/major keys..

So basically Blues are ambiguous in minor or major eh? But pentatonics are not right? Say I my key is G major, i play G major pentatonic or E Minor pentatonic right?
Why E minor?
Myspace Streaming Only

Quote by areola
He is talking abt relative minor/major keys..

So basically Blues are ambiguous in minor or major eh? But pentatonics are not right? Say I my key is G major, i play G major pentatonic or E Minor pentatonic right?

yep, you got it
G major and E minor aren't enharmonic, are they?

EDIT: Their scales must have the same notes, yes?
Myspace Streaming Only