Hey all,

I'm putting together an instrumental band. We have me on guitar, a bass player, and a drum player. I can read music, and the bass and drums can read rhythms, so rhythm is not the issue. We're looking for awesome instrumental songs to start out with. Anybody suggest any other covers along the lines of:

OSI- The New Math (what he said)
Porcupine Tree - Wedding Nails

Difficulty is an issue, as we've all only been playing a year, but we know what we're doing.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Instrumentals are usually quite challenging as they've got to hold the listeners interest when they've got no vocals or lyrics to focus on.

You should probably just play easy songs sans vocals rather than trying actual instrumentals
Hmmm... i understand what you're getting at. However, the thing with that is easy songs w/o vocals can often have people wondering why there are no vocals, instead of focusing on the music. I get where you're going with that, though.

Maybe I should have posted this over in the prog section
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Never heard of those two songs. Just make up your own.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Improvesational #1 by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Last edited by Sound_Garden_X at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by utahotc
Hey all,

I'm putting together an instrumental band. We have me on guitar, a bass player, and a drum player. I can read music, and the bass and drums can read rhythms, so rhythm is not the issue. We're looking for awesome instrumental songs to start out with. Anybody suggest any other covers along the lines of:

OSI- The New Math (what he said)
Porcupine Tree - Wedding Nails

Difficulty is an issue, as we've all only been playing a year, but we know what we're doing.

yeah, wedding nails is a good choice because its cool, but doesn't have anything too crazy going on
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I'm not the type to distinguish a song as special because it has no words. Most of the best music out there has no words. Can you improvise? If you had a piano player the two of you could just trade off solos, that would be fun.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
I'm not the type to distinguish a song as special because it has no words. Most of the best music out there has no words. Can you improvise? If you had a piano player the two of you could just trade off solos, that would be fun.

Most people interested in music don't mind, but most average teenage show goers don't realize a song is still a piece of music even if there is no words.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Joe Satriani - Starry Night (Fantastic song)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
If you can handle a few lyrics...

Shine on You Crazy Diamond...nuff said
"I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's...his hair was perfect."
yes Shine On would be awesome to jam to.

"Flying" by the Beatles has always been a favorite instrumental of mine.
Having an Average Weekend (Kids in the Hall Theme) - Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet

Nice 'surf' tune! Only guitar, bass, and drums.