This is probably a stupid query, but here goes....

I was in my local guitar store yesterday and asked about the digitech whammy pedal as i play a lot of White Stripes and i'm looking for a way to get those really high screaming guitar solos. The guy in the shop said that while it's not the same i could achieve a similar result with a Cry Baby Wah Wah. Is this true?

Obviously this would be far cheaper than the Digitech pedal and as always finances are TIGHT!
its not the same at all.go slap the guy in the shop in the face.

a wah pedal is like a tone filter.it goes from very trebely with the pedal down to bassy with it up.purple haze by hendrix will give you an example of what it does.

the whammy changes the pitch of the sound so it makes the note sound out at a higher pitch,up to 2 octaves i think.it also does harmonys and other things.

for white stripes stuff a wah will not get the job done...sorry!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Hm... I think I'd disagree. I own a Crybaby, and recently tried out a DigiTech Whammy. In my opinion they're completely different sounds. If you're looking for just a high pitched scream, then you *might* be able to emulate it with the wah, but generally the wah sounds almost irritating at those high frequencies.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
there's only one way to know: try em. If the guy wants to sell you something then he shouldn't be averse to letting you try both. unless he fed you that line because he hasn't got the whammy in stock but has plenty of wah.

the Whammy has alot of modes that a Wah pedal just can't do. you're not gonna be able to shift up 2 octaves with a wah pedal, you just can't.
If you play a lot of White Stripes, then the Whammy is perfect for you!

Jack White loves his.
Sent from my iPad.
If you want a cheaper alternative to a Whammy pedal, you have to look at octavers, not wahs.
Hi, I'm Peter
a wah wont sound like a whammy, but try em both out, just incase after you try it you like it anyway.
also i have no doubt that at some point the salesman will say "you know, i actually own one of these myself" dont fall for it a friend of mine recently did and he really regrets it now
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Yeah, guys at Guitar Stores are paid on commision, which means the only thing they are concerned with is selling you something. Ask their opinion but don't always trust it. A general rule I have when I go to the guitar store is not to buy anything unless I know I already want it, or if it is an impulxse buy, to make sure that it is what I want. If you ever doubt what the guy at the store says, then do some research.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Cheers guys - i was a bit doubtful myself so i've had a crack with both. The whammy's the one for me!
Quote by buzz

a wah pedal is like a tone filter.it goes from very trebely with the pedal down to bassy with it up.purple haze by hendrix will give you an example of what it does.

Actually, Purple Haze sounds closer to a whammy, because of the octave effect in the solo and outro. There's no wah in the song.
Quote by mr_hankey
Actually, Purple Haze sounds closer to a whammy, because of the octave effect in the solo and outro. There's no wah in the song.

sorry i was thinkin voodoo chile. i always think those two songs are the opposite name. my bad.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
sorry i was thinkin voodoo chile. i always think those two songs are the opposite name. my bad.

And you mess the names up again. You're thinking Voodoo Child (Slight return).