i'm just about to by my first electric and had orignally settled on the epiphone les paul custom.....however my tutor (who knows his stuff) reckons i should go for a strat or a tele....

there are loads of models though and i've got a budget of about £500, i'm looking at the light ash, the custom, the nashville and the highway 1 tele's. i mainly play rock and blues so which is the most suitable do you reckon?
I'd take almost anything over a Tele to be honest. A Les Paul or a Strat would probably suit rock and blues better anyway.

A Les Paul will give you much more versatility than a strat or a tele. I'm not a big Les Paul fan, but it is worth noting that there are Les Paul players in just about every single genre of music. The same cannot be said about the tele.
i've tried the prs se singlecut and liked that too, but the LP custom was still the one that felt most comfortable to me. i know sound is important too however so i just want to get it right.....i thought buying my first electric would be joyous, it's turning into a right headache!!! lol
maybe a lite ash?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
try the tele too. I'd still advise not getting it, but you should at least try it.

Make sure you try it on an amp close to the one you will have and not some godly £3000 tube amp, cus that's not gonna be a true representation of how you'll sound
name some bands you like cos rock can be very varied.if by rock you mean light stuff like the rolling stones etc. a tele is good but if you mean rock like guns n roses a tele will sound too weedy.

right your from england i imagine since you said pounds so check this out....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_classic_player_baja_tele_vb.htm

OR the other colour this tele is available in...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_classic_player_baja_tele_ds.htm

the specs of those are AMAZING for the price.those are proper custom shop pickups in em too and quality wood and hardware so you couldnt beat it.

(final link for you!)http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141502389

also its under your budget so you can treat yerself to a pedal or something!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

i'm from sunny, cold england! if i was in america i'd could get my stuff loads cheaper!! ha ha

yeah i'm more mod rock....small faces, stones, the who, dire straits kind of thing, not the heavier stuff.
blues is my other passion so i want a good all rounder....
good good good.im from Ireland not a yank thats why i suggest that website.

anyway those teles are the right job for what you like so.dont get a les paul cos you wont get a sound like those bands from it.a tele can get you some good blues tones too.

Keef plays a tele too!

anyway thats my 2 cents. done n dusted.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

A Tele sounds like it'd suit you pretty well.

Go for the Classic Player Baja Tele, Lite Ash or HW1.

HW1 if you want the general quality guarantee of a MIA guitar;

Classic Player Baja if you want amazing specs but with a bit iffier quality control;

or Lite Ash if you want good specs but with the chance of either getting an American Deluxe series beater or absolute lemon.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah the Classic Player Baja Tele is made in Mexico but dont let that put you off.the extra cash you save get a pro setup if needed and problem solved.

Highway Ones give a pretty poor value for money imo.a lot of it is marketing "Made in America".....yeah right
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Yeah the HW1 guitars really don't have that great a spec, although to me they have better QC than MIM.

Although there are some absolutely exceptional MIMs out there.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah the HW1 guitars really don't have that great a spec, although to me they have better QC than MIM.

Although there are some absolutely exceptional MIMs out there.

Well aren't Classic Players like the top notch high end models of the Ensenada factory with pretty much all MIA parts, and HW1s being low end MIA?

I've been bit by the Tele bug, and the Baja seems very interesting but I'm not sure about the V-neck. If I happened to like it, it would be a nice addition to my gear since I'm getting the Classic Player '60s Stratocaster. And it's so pretty

Sorry Repete Pete @ FDP for stealing your pic
Well to be honest i'm not too clued up on the classic player's series, I just based that assumption on the MIM Standard series.
yeah the classic player series is the top notch MIM stuff.its mexican made but with proper quality american parts and features.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by freedoms_stain
I'd take almost anything over a Tele to be honest. A Les Paul or a Strat would probably suit rock and blues better anyway.

A Les Paul will give you much more versatility than a strat or a tele. I'm not a big Les Paul fan, but it is worth noting that there are Les Paul players in just about every single genre of music. The same cannot be said about the tele.

Odd thing to say, what genre doesn't have telecaster players in it? Especially the HS or HH models which are very flexible. Some of the SS models have the two pickups opp polarity, so you can drive them fairly hard.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard