ok Im still narrowing wich rickanbacker to get. Im used to playing 6-string but want to know if I get a 12-string can I still play like I am normaly used to or will I have to learn again to play 12-string?
I tried out a 12-string epiphone elitist and loved it. But i didn't have to play it differently, or maybe i'm just weird like that.
a 12 string is slightly different, but essentially the same. you need a slightly stronger fretting hand, but that comes easily with practise. and you cant reli do any bends or some other techniques on a 12 string. but its the loveliest sound in the world for simple chords
Nothing really matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGuitar
I'm only responsible for the Korean jizz...

I never thought I'd say those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_haeni
Bahah, i just got BUTSECKS to work.
Quote by fudge65315
a 12 string is slightly different, but essentially the same. you need a slightly stronger fretting hand, but that comes easily with practise. and you cant reli do any bends or some other techniques on a 12 string. but its the loveliest sound in the world for simple chords

Exactly

and get ready to have sore fingers!
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
I just bought my Takamine 12-string (EG345C). Generally, *most* people tend to just to lots of open chordsey stuff on a 12 string. I think this is an extremely limited view of what you can do with it. I play mostly like I normally would, but there are a few minor differences. As far as the low end notes go, you have a be a little bit careful, because as there are octave strings on there, some melodies stick out differently then with a 6-string. Also, I'm not sure if this just something I've learned/am learning to do, but you can learn to only pick the thicker string if you're careful, so you can still get the 6-string effect if you really need it here and there. It can be tricky though. Generally though, I just play it very much similar to how I do a 6-string, but you can get a much much different sound, so you've got be careful. Sometimes just minor differences in how you strum/pick and which strings you strum more prominently can completely change the song. A lot of getting accustomed to a 12 string is just trial and error. Some songs simply don't work well, at times.

But the fun thing to remember is there are also many sounds you can get on the 12 string that you can't get on a 6

And actually, just as a note, it's not too bad to finger pick on the 12 string, and my fingers have never hurt from playing, and I just recently got mine. If anything, I find I get irritated less because the pressure is sort of... dispersed over more surface area?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by fudge65315
and you cant reli do any bends or some other techniques on a 12 string.

Try telling that to John Butler...
Quote by fudge65315
and you cant reli do any bends or some other techniques on a 12 string. but its the loveliest sound in the world for simple chords
You can bend. It's a little tougher, but you can. And albeit simple chords sound very nice and full with a 12-string, it's just the beginning really.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

I played a 12 string for the first time and whilst open chords sounded nice, it really sprang to life when I started playing some blues on it. Things like Pride and Joy by SRV and Crossroads by Cream sounded awesome. Just would have to get used to bending on those things. Hell, it's easier than those annoying unison bends on normal 6 stringers.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If you don't know the difference between a 12 and six string, you shouldn't be looking into Rickenbackers.
Dickless.
Well im getting a Rick because its the exact sound im looking for. I never thought I would never need a 12 twelve string so I never bothered to learn about them but im just a little interested in them know so I was just asking.
Quote by TheLastDj
Well im getting a Rick because its the exact sound im looking for. I never thought I would never need a 12 twelve string so I never bothered to learn about them but im just a little interested in them know so I was just asking.

Well first off you're going to need to change your amp, I won't assist in the act of using a Rickenbacker on a Spider.
Dickless.
Fender Acoustisonics are actually very nice to plug into. They've even got some delay/chorus effects. Very nice sound.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Well I was going to go more towards a vox. like a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15w 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp
Quote by TheLastDj
Well I was going to go more towards a vox. like a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15w 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp

To be honest, before getting a Ricky, you should look into a bigger leap in amp quality. The sound of a 12 stringer Ricky through a valve amp is something special!

If you don't want much more volume than you currently have, you should look into an Epiphone Valve Junior 5W. Because it's a valve amp, it's pretty damned loud and sounds great
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by TheLastDj
ok Im still narrowing wich rickanbacker to get. Im used to playing 6-string but want to know if I get a 12-string can I still play like I am normaly used to or will I have to learn again to play 12-string?

Danelectro make a lower priced 12-string, and although it's not quite up to the same quality you'd expect from a ric, it's a damn good substitute for about 1/5th of the price, and sounds VERY similar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I got my Takamine for $330 brand new (though according to takamine.com, it's supposed to be $570...). It honestly sounds beautiful, and I've been playing 5+ years or so. It also sounds exception plugged in in my opinion, as not many acoustics in general seem to do.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B