Chord Forumlas and 7th chords... What are the different type of 7th chords? (Dominant?) 7th (I-III-V-bVII) and Minor 7th (I-bIII-V-bVII). What are other 7ths? Diminished? What does that mean? Please give chord formulas too. Also, what are the different suspended chords and augmented chords? (what does augmented mean?) I think thats it, if i have more chord questions i will post again. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: And its the same notes and formulas and everything if want to play those chords on the piano, right? Its the same for any instrument, because this is music theory for all instruments, right? Nothing changes going from guitar to piano?

ANOTHEREDIT: Also, what are degrees? I used to know, but im drawing a blank right now...
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Last edited by 812many at Mar 8, 2007,
^No, nothing changes. The main type of seventh chords are..

Major 7th: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7. Notated as _maj7, _ma7, _M7 and _Δ.
Dominant 7th: 1 - 3 - 5 - b7. Notated as _7.
Minor 7th: 1 - b3 - 5 - b7. Notated as _m7, _min7, _mi7, _-7.
Half-diminished 7th: 1 - b3 - b5 - b7. Notated as _m7b5, _-7b5, _ø.
Diminished 7th: 1 - b3 - b5 - bb7. Notated as _dim7, _°7.
Minor/Major 7th: 1 - b3 - 5 - 7: Notated as _min/maj7, _-Δ.

The main type of suspended chords are..

_sus2: 1 - 2 - 5.
_sus4: 1 - 4 - 5.
_7sus4: 1 - 4 - 5 - b7. More commmonly notated as just _sus, or _7sus.
_7sus4b9: 1 - 4 - 5 - b7 - b9. More commonly abbreviated to just _7susb9, or _susb9.

The main type of augmented chords are..

_aug: 1 - 3 - #5. Notated as _+.
_7#5: 1 - 3 - #5 - b7. More commonly notated as _7+. (Note: In a jazz lead sheet, when you see, for example G7+, or G7#5 - it means a G7#5#11 chord built from the whole tone scale.)
_maj7#5: 1 - 3 - #5 - 7. Notated as _Δ#5.

Augmented means to raise an interval one half step. So, for example raising the major second of C major, a D note to D# would give us an augmented second interval from C to D#. When referring to chords, an augmented chord refers to a chord with a major third and augmented 5th intervals above the root. An augmented fifth above C is a G#. Thus C - E - G# is a Caugmented chord, shorted to Caug or further to C+.

Degrees are numbers given to a specific note in a scale to designate a function. For example the 5 of C would be G, the #5 of E would be B#, the bb7 of Ab would be Gbb and the #4 of C# major would be Fx and so on and so forth. 5, #5, #4 and bb7 in these examples are all scale degrees that designate a specific function to a given pitch within a scale.

Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Mar 8, 2007,
^^now...if I didn't have any theory in me...it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

But I actually comprehend all those damn symbles and letters you used.
imagain that.lol
Chord notation, is that like "maj7" and things like that? If it is, then will someone make a list of that and what each one means?

9th chords, im not familiar with them. When are they commonly used, what type of music?

7#5, does that mean the same thing as 7aug5?

sus, does that mean the same thing as sus4?

(i beleive i just asked two questions on chord notation, but i have no clue honestly.)

I will post more using the Edit feature if i have more questions regarding this. Thanks to anyone who helps!
Quote by 812many
Chord notation, is that like "maj7" and things like that? If it is, then will someone make a list of that and what each one means?

Yes, maj7 is a way of notating a chord. Cmaj7 would mean a C major seventh chord. Cmin7 would be a C minor seventh chord and so forth. If you want a complete list of all chords with the most common symbols for each, you'll have to give me a few hours - but I'd be willing to type it up for you if you like.

Quote by 812many
9th chords, im not familiar with them. When are they commonly used, what type of music?

They are used in all kinds of music. You'll see them a lot in jazz and funk. They function in the same way a dominant 7th chord would, or a major seventh would or a minor seventh would. For example, G9 would have the same function as G7. Cmaj9 would have the same function as Cmaj7. So instead of going G7- Cmaj7, you could go G9 - Cmaj9.

Quote by 812many
7#5, does that mean the same thing as 7aug5?

Yes. It means a dominant 7th chord with an augmented fifth replacing a perfect fifth. 1 - 3 - #5 - b7. That said, you'll never see it written as _7aug5 simply because there are easier ways of writing it such as _7#5 and _7+.

Quote by 812many
sus, does that mean the same thing as sus4?

Yes. 'Sus' by itself implies a perfect fourth. So C7sus would be 1 - 4 - 5 - b7. A word of warning though, do not think that writing Csus implies a Csus4 chord, it does not. Csus is a truncation of C7sus4. If you see Csus4 it means 1 - 4 - 5, if you see Csus it means 1 - 4 - 5 - b7.

Quote by Johnljones7443
If you want a complete list of all chords with the most common symbols for each, you'll have to give me a few hours - but I'd be willing to type it up for you if you like.

That really would be great, i didnt know it would be so much trouble, im sorry. Just any time its convient for you, of course, it would be nice. Thanks alot, i appriciate all the help.