So i've seen that a lot of strat owners remove the back plate (where you put the strings in) and sometimes even remove a spring or so from the inside. What actually happens when people do it? Is it just for the guitar to look "cool" or does it change the sound in any way?

(Invalid img)
Attachments:
325512.jpg
It makes it easier to make any adjustments. That's about the only benefit.

The changing the amount of springs affects how stiff the tremolo is. I've had to put an extra one in mine...and now I think about it...it doesn't have the back on it because I'm too lazy to put it back haha. There's your answer haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
To the poster above me, I think it does make a hearable difference, I've heard many comments on this... I'm not a strat player though, so don't ask me.
I've heard it reduces the sustain in some way, but other than that, none at all.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Y00p
To the poster above me, I think it does make a hearable difference, I've heard many comments on this... I'm not a strat player though, so don't ask me.

Really? It might be a case of people saying things that they heard from someone else...hearsay like.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Really? It might be a case of people saying things that they heard from someone else...hearsay like.

Always a valid option on UG.

As I said, I'm not a Strat player, you are, so you're probably more right than me.

I remove just to make it easier to restring.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
You take the backplate off to get at the trem springs. Removing springs will make the tremolo move easier, and adding more will make it stiffer/hold tune a bit better with a tad more sustain. Players like to leave the backplates off to make the springs easier to get to, or some just for style or player preference (the John Mayer sig strat actually comes with the backplate in the case instead of mounted on the guitar).

I DO own a strat
Quote by Vornik
Wow you just made us all look retarded for not suggesting that...

Quote by Doppleganger
Dude,

I can use Google.
Quote by casualty01
13 yr olds should not attempt to make "points". Especially with their heads firmly lodged up their fucking ass.
Well it would reduce the sustain because you are reducing the mass of the body, but the effects would be ridiculously minimal. It makes it easier to adjust the Twang stick, but the negative side is the springs and shit get dirty more easily. Maybe the groud wire will break off (if its grounded there)
the back plate isn't there because it is always in your way when you change strings. very anoying :P
Quote by Y00p
Always a valid option on UG.

As I said, I'm not a Strat player, you are, so you're probably more right than me.

Haha, hey, it wouldn't be any good as a forum if people didn't say things which they've heard off a mate, alot of good info comes about like that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

removing a spring doesnt reduce sustain because the body mass is less... springs help sustain by keeping everything locked in place.... more springs=more sustain because there is less freedom of movement for the tremolo, along the lines of locking it
"Salvation a la mode, with a cup of tea"~aqualung/jethro tull
it supposedly gives the guitar more of a natural reverb or strat bouce sound
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
In someways, it helps reduce spring noise by allowing sound waves to travel out of the cavity instead of bouncing around inside. The result is slightly noticable when playing unplugged (you'll notice a less hollow sound comming from the cavity). I've yet to hear a difference when plugged in on either clean or dirty.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
have you already taken a spring out, because i'm sure my EJ strat came with 5?
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
I notice no difference either way. I took mine off to add springs since I went to a higher guage string.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX