Page 1 of 3
Spurred on by that other guy who made a thread about how he had to piss in the same spot whenever he walked home, I thought i'd ask others their opinion on my case of OCD.

Basically, it drives me mad if i'm not symmetrical. It doesn't seem that bad just saying it, but it's amazing how much it effects my everyday life when I think about it. I can't wear a watch, because i'd have to wear one on the other arm or it would effectively drive me insane. I have to have exactly the same things and/or the same weight in both of my pockets at the same time, which means for example, if someone gives me anything I either have to have 2 of it for each pocket, or just hold it in both hands unless I have a backpack or middle pocket with me. I sound really weird. Let me just point out that other than this I am totally normal, and actually quite intelligent for my age.

I'm presuming what i've got is OCD, but i'm not sure. It doesn't really bother me too much, but I'd be interested if anyone knows what causes my brain to work like this, and any other interesting stuff.

Sometimes, quite randomly, i will go through stages of having it so bad that when I go to bed i can't sleep on my side, because one side of my face would be touching the pillow and the other wouldn't, which is ****ing annoying because I have to craft a kind of blanket out of my duvet that fits perfectly over the other side of my face without cutting off my air supply...

Sorry for ranting.

If any other of you have any OCD conditions, or know anyone with a condition similar, feel free to share
Last edited by skagitup at Mar 8, 2007,
You should seek some help, seriously. When something affects your life like that you really need some help.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I get annoyed at my laptop because the touch pad isn't directly in the centre.

Dob-Edit: Look at it!

Last edited by Dobzilla at Mar 8, 2007,
It's not really that bad, I mean i've learn't to cope with it, when I go through bad stages of it it can annoy me a bit, but other than that i've had it since i was about 5 so it's like second nature to me
I have like, a kind of, how to put it... Small OCD for symmetry. Like, not to the point w=that you're talking about, but I do like to have everything neat and symmetrical, especially at the dining table.
If you have something clever to say, don't bother, most people won't get it.

ZOMFG TEH SP33[) I-I4><!!1!

No... Herman Li's just really good...

"Yes I do like marmalade in my eggs! Thank you for asking!"

Quote by Chubbes_Hammet
How do you sig people?

I get like that sometimes, though not a lot. I've got a bad problem with having to do anything the same though, if I scratch one side of my face I have to scratch the other in the same spot, or if I move my fingers on my right hand I have to move the fingers on the left the same way (as in actions, not when I'm typing or writing), so on and so forth. It can get really annoying when I have to actually move stuff form hand to hand in order to make sure every action is the same on both sides of my body, but if I don't I start to panic. I used to have a bad problem with moving my hands in circles aswell, but I managed to stop it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
What you just described Dinkydaisy is exactly what i went through when i first started to develop it when i was younger, with the actions on your body. I mean its ridiculous that if i rub my right hand, even though i know it is totally insane and theres no reason for it, i HAVE to rub my left hand or it will drive me crazy. But then i thought about it alot, and i noticed my watch kept rubbing against my left wrist and not my right, so i had to get rid of that, etc. etc.

I hope you don't develop it as bad as I've got it Dink
Quote by BrianApocalypse
All the cool kids have mental illness

The only thing i like about it is at least it makes me a little different. I've experianced different types of OCD before as well which apparently is quite strange. I went through this stage of having to have 20 sips of water from the tap before i slept every night, and if i didn't i was sure that somehow it would result in the death of people i loved.

.... it's ****ing weird
listen to OCD/C!
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Being overly concerned with something is not necessarily (or even likely) OCD.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by skagitup
What you just described Dinkydaisy is exactly what i went through when i first started to develop it when i was younger, with the actions on your body. I mean its ridiculous that if i rub my right hand, even though i know it is totally insane and theres no reason for it, i HAVE to rub my left hand or it will drive me crazy. But then i thought about it alot, and i noticed my watch kept rubbing against my left wrist and not my right, so i had to get rid of that, etc. etc.

I hope you don't develop it as bad as I've got it Dink

I hope so too =/
I feel bad for you, cause I've had problems with OCD before (mostly in performing actions by myself, such as pursing my lips, or twtiching my head, so I used to get awful headaches from it) and I've managed to stop it for the most part, but I remember how incredibally frustating it is. I can wear my watch, because if it makes me feel uncomfortable knowing I'm not balanced I tell myself it's okay because a watch is meant to be worn on one wrist and I can usually stand it. But if I'm typing at an angle and one wrist is resting on the desk I feel really uncomfortable until I put my right wrist down aswell.
I hope you manage to get on top of it dude.

-Matthew Arnold

haha, see, i'm the complete opposite. i HATE symmetry, it freaks me out a lot. i write sideways, my keyboard has to be slanted, my hair CANNOT be parted in the exact center, everything has to be offset very slightly otherwise it seems out of balance to me - as in, take a picture of a person. you don't want to have them dead on, as this would make for a very odd picture, but still...they have to be balanced down either side of the center line, if this makes sense, otherwise they'd fall over like...

>|>>
>|

that looks fine to me, but i bet you want to make the little >'s on the right hand side into <'s instead.

maybe this comes from me being an artist and knowing that having the subject of your picture directly in the center makes it incredibly boring, but i've done it for years and years. it's one of the reasons i chose the mobile phone i currently have; the logo isn't symmetrical at all, and one side has an orange button and the other a silver one.

it's the same with words...i mean, take my sister's name - Anna. i hate it because it's a palindrome. stupid, huh? typing it makes me twitch, hence me capitalising the A when normally i would be a lazy slob and not bother - it makes it more, like...i don't know, it just makes it better.

i have had reasonably mild OCD since i was about 12, though, so i put it down to this.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I have to blink my eyes equally. Plus, I have to do it a certain number of times per eye. I once had to do it for an hour. I also have to move my ankles equally, and I cannot stand non-colour coded things. I can't leave the salt and pepper shakers next to each other without lining them up perfectly.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I hope so too =/
I feel bad for you, cause I've had problems with OCD before (mostly in performing actions by myself, such as pursing my lips, or twtiching my head, so I used to get awful headaches from it) and I've managed to stop it for the most part, but I remember how incredibally frustating it is. I can wear my watch, because if it makes me feel uncomfortable knowing I'm not balanced I tell myself it's okay because a watch is meant to be worn on one wrist and I can usually stand it. But if I'm typing at an angle and one wrist is resting on the desk I feel really uncomfortable until I put my right wrist down aswell.
I hope you manage to get on top of it dude.

Thanks man, and same to you. Have you ever thought, though, about why you actually think like you do? I mean there must be some kind of scientific reason as to why our brains seem to need symmetry on both sides of our bodies...any Scientist Guitar Players on UG? lol......stupid question
Quote by skagitup
Thanks man, and same to you. Have you ever thought, though, about why you actually think like you do? I mean there must be some kind of scientific reason as to why our brains seem to need symmetry on both sides of our bodies...any Scientist Guitar Players on UG? lol......stupid question

I used to think a lot about it, and it used to get me down because I knew it wasn't normal as such, but now I just accept it as a quirk of mine. It doesn't kill me, and only causes a small inconvienience at most, since usually I can make everything 'right' as it were. When I can't though it's insane, I fractured my wrist a few months back, and not being able to use the one hand was awful. But nah, I just accept it and don't bother thinking about it much.

Quote by esther_mouse
haha, see, i'm the complete opposite. i HATE symmetry, it freaks me out a lot. i write sideways, my keyboard has to be slanted, my hair CANNOT be parted in the exact center, everything has to be offset very slightly otherwise it seems out of balance to me - as in, take a picture of a person. you don't want to have them dead on, as this would make for a very odd picture, but still...they have to be balanced down either side of the center line, if this makes sense, otherwise they'd fall over like...

>|>>
>|

that looks fine to me, but i bet you want to make the little >'s on the right hand side into <'s instead.

maybe this comes from me being an artist and knowing that having the subject of your picture directly in the center makes it incredibly boring, but i've done it for years and years. it's one of the reasons i chose the mobile phone i currently have; the logo isn't symmetrical at all, and one side has an orange button and the other a silver one.

it's the same with words...i mean, take my sister's name - Anna. i hate it because it's a palindrome. stupid, huh? typing it makes me twitch, hence me capitalising the A when normally i would be a lazy slob and not bother - it makes it more, like...i don't know, it just makes it better.

i have had reasonably mild OCD since i was about 12, though, so i put it down to this.

You hate palindrome names?

-Matthew Arnold

Last edited by Dinkydaisy at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by Dinkydaisy
You hate palindrome names?

aww, i think of you as dinky, dink or daisy, not Hannah, lol <3
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse

>|>>
>|

me and you wouldn't get on very well living together..
Last edited by skagitup at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by skagitup
<<|<
<|

evens out your one

me and you wouldn't get on very well living together..

opposites attract and all that...*looks doubtful*
<//////>~ dA
Quote by esther_mouse
aww, i think of you as dinky, dink or daisy, not Hannah, lol <3

<3

-Matthew Arnold

I also have to NOT look at my left foot when I walk, otherwise I have to blink at my right foot.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
I'm not saying I had OCD, but for a time when i was about 13-15 I would add up the letters in a sentence or phrase and if the number was odd I'd get quite annoyed. Thankfully that passed.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Lets see...

Whenever I am driving, I have to count the turns I come across, and I get really annoyed when I can't get an even number, or the count on one side gets too high.

or

In my head I will spontaneously think of a dot, and whenever I do, I have to keep stacking or building the dots into symmetrical structures; whether they be 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional. This is usually spurred on when I hear a phrase or a word that I like, and the preliminary number of dots to build with represents the syllables in the word/phrase.

And this is why I drink liquor, to make this stuff go away and keep me sane.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
wow man i didn't expect this many people replying, it seems we're all a little strange....i wonder if the percentage of OCD/OCD-like thing sufferers is higher among Guitarists than it is among.. Postmen for example. I would be willing to bet it is.
I'd just like to clear some things up.

You'd be more abnormal to not have any OCD to be honist, its something most people have just very lightly and so isn't referred to as OCD, OCD is generally reffering to sufferers who have it affects their lives in one way or another.

I'm sure you have all noticed, OCD comes in many forms, numbers are common EG prefering 50 or 55 over 53. Just nice and round basically. Cleanliness is another one, my grandfather bathed in warmed up mineral water as he thought the water supply was 'dirty'. also, theres arranging things in order of colour or size, Theres many other forms which I can't be bothered to explain but i'm sure you get the idea :P

Cheers.
Last edited by sofubar at Mar 8, 2007,
Cool sofubar, but do you have any idea WHY people have these things?
Quote by skagitup

I'd imagine it's caused by a chemical upset in the brain.

-Matthew Arnold

I used to have pretty severe OCD as a kid. You'll either grow out of it, or it will get worse if you don't seek help.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by skagitup

Well I know one reason for sure is family, as I mentioned my grandfather had it strongly and it went to my dad, except it lighted up a good bit, from what i've seen theres not much he really must do if you get me?

Then from my dad to me (thanks dad ) well I only have a slight inkling luckily, I don't HAVE to make myself do OCD related activities, I don't really notice any wants too much. In other words its almost gone now its been through my grandad and dad.

Something I should mention is, according to my dad, my grandad started to get very bad during the later years in his life (the bath thing was not always there).

There are probably other reasons, but I only know about symptoms and levels of OCD. I only know about the family thing for reasons why. i'm sure that helpful fella wiki knows

Cheers.
I have really, really bad OCD. I have to do things seven times, say I was to bite the inside of my mouth. I'd have to do it 3 times on the left, 3 times on the right and once in the middle, I have to do it with everything, rubbing my eyes, scratching my nose, everything. Same with if I hurt my left hand, Ihave to hurt my right hand so it feels the same, if I hurt it too much I have to hurt my left again so it has the same amount of pain as the right . I hate it. Drives me mental some times.

ROFLOLMAOWTFBBQ!
Quote by Smokey Amp
I used to have pretty severe OCD as a kid. You'll either grow out of it, or it will get worse if you don't seek help.

Not heard of growing out of it, but that would make sense as I remember my mild OCD went away and is virtually non existant now. I could never be arsed with doing those little OCD things that felt good so maybe just resisting temptation makes it go? I do however realise for more servere sufferers, resisting it is incredibly hard - if even possible. Mine was very light to begin with so resisiting wasn't hard.

Cheers.
Quote by Zoso136
I have really, really bad OCD. I have to do things seven times, say I was to bite the inside of my mouth. I'd have to do it 3 times on the left, 3 times on the right and once in the middle, I have to do it with everything, rubbing my eyes, scratching my nose, everything. Same with if I hurt my left hand, Ihave to hurt my right hand so it feels the same, if I hurt it too much I have to hurt my left again so it has the same amount of pain as the right . I hate it. Drives me mental some times.

That's me too =/

I used to constantly bite the inside of my mouth, it used to always bleed and shit. I've managed to stop that now though.

-Matthew Arnold

Im now into a stage where the computer has to be switched off at the plug when i go to bed.

One time i sat up all night and cried because i thought the window was open - i became highly paranoid.

My brothers worse - he has autism and everything has to be in the exact place or he will freak out and get really angry. Also he has to do everything twice like sit down twice or turn a light on and off twice
I have to have cutlery aligned perfectly also. And, if I'm in a car and I turn the radio up to 10, I have to turn it back 2 to 8 then forward 3 to 11 then back one to 10 then push in the little knob thing.

ROFLOLMAOWTFBBQ!
Quote by sofubar
Not heard of growing out of it, but that would make sense as I remember my mild OCD went away and is virtually non existant now. I could never be arsed with doing those little OCD things that felt good so maybe just resisting temptation makes it go? I do however realise for more servere sufferers, resisting it is incredibly hard - if even possible. Mine was very light to begin with so resisiting wasn't hard.

Cheers.

If you could choose to ignore it, it's probably not a severe case of OCD. With my childhood OCD I was unable to move on until I had satisfied the requirements of my brain. For instance: As my bedroom door closes very close to my light switch I used to think that my light turned on every time I shut my door. Of course, that's crazy, but thats OCD. So, I'd have to continually open and shut the door to see if the light had turned on. Only problem is that after I'd opened it to see that light hadn't in fact been turned on, when I closed the door, the cycle repeated. You eventually stop the cycle after a period of time, but it's definitely not as easy as choice.

I also used to have to go to the toilet for a piss seven times before I climbed into my bed, every night. But, that's a different story.

As I said, I guess I just grew out of it.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Do any other non OCD people feel left out?

I want a special OCD thing
Need.New.Sig.
I'd cut off one of your testicles...

or..

point out the fact you possess one heart...

on the LEFT SIDE!!!!
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Page 1 of 3