*If you saw my last post about the Marshall Micro Stack, then the same applies here.

Someone on Musicfriend.com recommended the Marshall AVT20X in place of the Micro Stack. It has a tube pre-amp, but is listed as SS... (huh?) Anyways, it's 20 watts, with a 10" speaker. I'm going to be replacing that speaker with a Celestion of some kind.

Any experience with it?
Or is it that all Marshall's below $700 suck balls? I play mainly jazz, blues, and various types of rock. I am also looking to record with it.

Your thoughts?
its a hybrid
it doesnt sound like a tube amp
it sounds like a SS amp

and dont trust reviews on musiciansfriend.com
those are mostlye people that are excited about what they bought and only mention the good things...

yea...the cheap marshalls prett much are only the name that makes you buy them
theyre crap in a box

for under 700....try used
or a fender for the music you play
a hot rod deluxe should be good

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^

Unfortunately, my budget is only about $300 - $400 USD. Could you recommend a amp to fit my tastes. Preferably, tube.
fender blues junior
runs at about $400
all tube and as the name says...its great for blues

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Anyone who ever says go buy an AVT or an MG is a jackass and should have their home taken away, their mother beaten over the head with a guitar, and have "I am a retard" tattoo'd on their face...
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by hendriko
fender blues junior
runs at about $400
all tube and as the name says...its great for blues

+1
AVTs aren't bad, but they're not great. I got an AVT50, it replaced my old Fender Deluxe 112.

Anyways, for what you're doing that Blues Junior is probably much more suited then an AVT.

I have noticed though, people who say things like "Anyone who ever says go buy an AVT or an MG is a jackass and should have their home taken away, their mother beaten over the head with a guitar, and have "I am a retard" tattoo'd on their face..." generally don't know anything other then that lots of people bad mouth cheap Marshalls and that if all the cool kids do it, they will too and thus shouldn't be listened to.
Last edited by STABxYOU at Mar 9, 2007,
im pretty sure dave_mc regrets buying his.

as an mg owner, i dont trust the series at all. ESPECIALLY for the type of music u play.

if u buy a blues junior, ull want a couple of pedals too. so add $100 to the price.

as a Blues junior owner id say it's a good fit if u can afford it.

if u're not ready for tube, check out the Vox hybrid series. much better amp as compared to MG.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by STABxYOU
AVTs aren't bad, but they're not great. I got an AVT50, it replaced my old Fender Deluxe 112.

Anyways, for what you're doing that Blues Junior is probably much more suited then an AVT.

I have noticed though, people who say things like "Anyone who ever says go buy an AVT or an MG is a jackass and should have their home taken away, their mother beaten over the head with a guitar, and have "I am a retard" tattoo'd on their face..." generally don't know anything other then that lots of people bad mouth cheap Marshalls and that if all the cool kids do it, they will too and thus shouldn't be listened to.

While you ignorantly assume that I dont know what I am talking about I will let you know that yes I have had experience with both of them. So before you go saying I dont know anything maybe you should stop and think that certain people actually do know what they are talking about now and then. So stop trying to justify your crappy purchase and face the facts that its a bad amp.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by Guitarjunkie18

Or is it that all Marshall's below $700 suck balls?

You ALMOST got it there, truth is all Marshalls below 1000$ suck balls.

And yeah +infinity or whatever on the Blues Jr. I cry when i have to go away from it everytime i try it at GC.

But beware that its super clean uncranked, you might want to get a blues driver or a tubescreamer with it.
Quote by jj1565
im pretty sure dave_mc regrets buying his.

as an mg owner, i dont trust the series at all. ESPECIALLY for the type of music u play.

if u buy a blues junior, ull want a couple of pedals too. so add $100 to the price.

as a Blues junior owner id say it's a good fit if u can afford it.

if u're not ready for tube, check out the Vox hybrid series. much better amp as compared to MG.

yeah. you can get all-tube amps (budget ones, but still vastly superior) for the same price or less, or you can get better transistor amps for quite a bit less too (roland cube, for example). Either way, the avt isn't a good buy, IMO. If you're willing to go to the price of a decent all-tube amp, bite the bullet and go all tube, or if you want to stay solid state, you can save a bucketload of cash, and get something that's a lot more versatile and more fun...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
laney lc15 + boss sd-1 = $430 (ish)

but if i were you i'd save up for something better