Im looking at building a telecaster and I was wondering how much the body wood really effects the sound (through an amp), I am planning on getting relatively cheap parts (second hand) so I was wondering should I spend more on the body wood and less on pickups/electronics or more on electronics and more on body?

Thanks
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
the body basically "creates" your sound
for example...mahogany is heavy and makes a dark/warm sound
while maple is light and makes a bright sound

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
So would a plywood body basically ruin the sound? Theres one going cheap on ebay? What cheapish woods would give a nice country sound
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
yea...
plywood ruins your sound
if you can even call it sound...

try out warmoth.com
they have some explanations what different woods sound like and what they are used for...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm currently looking for body wood too. Mahogany seems to be the best for the most part. Or you could try a nice hard rock maple, or curly wood. They look nice, and will sound great too.

*Oh, and be sure to post your build on here. Take lots of pictures and what not.
You can get a cheap body and have it sound gread. Alder and poplar are both pretty cheap and if you get a 2, 3, or 4 peice body it will not hurt the tone. Don't go with plywood. The body is very important for tone, but expensive bodies just look better they don't sound better. So get a cheap body and spend more money on pickups.
Not taking any online orders.