Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=micheal+scott&search=Search

The American version of the BBC's "Office". It almost seems that as soon as the BBC had sapped the ratings dry, the Americans had to go one better, except its not funny. Was there some sort of contract swapping? I mean all the characters are the same, except they are American , and wheres the canned laughter?

Its just like Rugby... or "American football"

Like Rounders... or "Baseball"

And the womens sport, Netball... slightly differnt rules, and you have "Basketball"!

Im not digging at America or anything, but if your going to copy somthing thats already been done, at least make it better!

Here's the UK version, soooo much funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKpybGYozeE
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
This dude speaks the truth...I saw the US version of 'The Office' on a plane to Florida and it was crap.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
That was so stupidly crap. Is it supposed to be funny?

The british ones shit too.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I find them both equally annoying.
If you have something clever to say, don't bother, most people won't get it.

ZOMFG TEH SP33[) I-I4><!!1!

No... Herman Li's just really good...

"Yes I do like marmalade in my eggs! Thank you for asking!"

Quote by Chubbes_Hammet
How do you sig people?

Well tbh i didn't find the English sieries funny, so im not suprised the Americans version was no better. i just don't think Americans get English humour, although they think they do. I mean anyone seen the American version of Red Dwarf? Absolute crap really.
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
America did a version of Red Dwarf too.

Needless to say it was so bad that even the Americans themselves hated it generally.

I'm not usually a fan of American comedies but Happy Days is great (come on, it's got Fonzie in it so it must be pretty decent) and Futurama is probably my favourite all time show alongside Red Dwarf (the real version obviously...)
I haven't seen the American version, but the offic is such a British show i could never see the American's matching it.

Though saying that i'm really surprised that the UK version won an American award, quite a notable one to.
Need.New.Sig.
^theres an american red dwarf?

Quote by metaldud536

To be honest i dont like any of the office series'
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by IndieMetalhead

Don't think it lasted long...it was dreadful.
Quote by IndieMetalhead

Hell yeah man. You'd be incredably dissapointed if you liked the English version even a little bit
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'

PM me to join
Quote by IndieMetalhead

aw that just rips the piss, I think I just died a little inside

lets me geuss is it called "Rouge MIDGET FIGHT!!!!!!" ?
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
I did'nt find the english version funny in the slightst,but I think its one of those shows which you either love or hate.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
I like the American and British versions pretty much equally, but I don't know about the others.
#21 OF THE NON-CONFORMIST CLUB
I the american version.

Its not meant to be like the British, its a different kind of comedy, which Im glad they went for, it would have been stupid to do a shameless ripoff of the UK version.

I love them both equally, and I probably prefer dwight over gareth.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Dr.Tomahawk
Hell yeah man. You'd be incredably dissapointed if you liked the English version even a little bit

I adore craig charles and the english version. i've spent many a night laughing my arse off at it.

Quote by metaldud536

Well this is all very Simple......... The U.S. is better than every other country. Its just that simple. I mean even if a country had the worst show ever and tyhe U.S. decided to buy it and replace all the other foriegn actors with actors form the U.S.(or even jsut over dubbed it- look at MXC)... then it would be the greatest hit the world had ever seen. ANd if you dont agree with that, then the U.S. will invade your country and claim that you are supporting terrorism and then claim that you have weapons of mass destruction. Then you will be screwed. so Booya.

j/k.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I adore craig charles and the english version. i've spent many a night laughing my arse off at it.

You and me both, Red Dwarf is an absolute classic...

Shame they left it on a bit of a cliffhanger and it seems that they're not going to ever make anymore.

I need closure dammit!
Quote by TIMshady1stLP
Well this is all very Simple......... The U.S. is better than every other country. Its just that simple. I mean even if a country had the worst show ever and tyhe U.S. decided to buy it and replace all the other foriegn actors with actors form the U.S.(or even jsut over dubbed it- look at MXC)... then it would be the greatest hit the world had ever seen. ANd if you dont agree with that, then the U.S. will invade your country and claim that you are supporting terrorism and then claim that you have weapons of mass destruction. Then you will be screwed. so Booya.

j/k.

Amen, LOL

PM me to join
aparently they are gonna finsih off red dwarf, although i dont see how, rimmers kinda ****ed. and theres also a movie in the making
Quote by yam
aparently they are gonna finsih off red dwarf, although i dont see how, rimmers kinda ****ed. and theres also a movie in the making

A movie has apparantly been in the works for years, they are short of funding or something. I hope they make one to finish the series off...lets face it, the actors aren't getting any younger.

Not sure Craig Charles can pull off being a bloke in his late twenties anymore...
I actually prefer the U.S. Office, one of the Series of the U.K. office (2 i think) is excruciatingly poor.
Quote by TIMshady1stLP

j/k.

funny as ****!!

and they say americans dont have wit.

english pricks.
British humour is just that, for the British. Americans don't understand it, so of course they shouldn't try to replicate it.

Still, I think the real version of the office is shit anyway.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
The american one is stupid, especially the way they kept the same characters, but dumbed them down for america.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by nick dixon

And the womens sport, Netball... slightly differnt rules, and you have "Basketball"!

Netball was invented in America.

And it came after basketball. Just 'cause you brits chose to play basketball's retarded sister instead of the real thing doesn't mean you invented it.

Check your history before you rip on us.

Sucessful things are always going to be copied. I'm sure there are plenty of bad British spinoffs of American things if you look hard enough. Most bad spinoffs don't happen to cross national borders. Don't try to turn it into some sweeping statement of cultural superiority that it's not.

WifeSwap was a bad spinoff of Trading Spouses. That doesn't mean that CBS is culturally superior to NBC. (Actually, both shows sucked hard and I have no idea what network either was on. But you get my point.)

So get the hell off your high horse. Your version of The Office is better. Whoop-di-do! Is that any suprise? When has a spinoff ever been better, whatever country it was in?
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
I do quite like the one clip I saw where a guy sends fax's to some guy pretending to be his future self.

EDIT: ^ Fraiser > Cheers
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by nick dixon
"Basketball"!
Which was actually invented by a Canadian.

But is bitching about it gonna magically make it not suck?

Just watch the UK version.
Quote by fronkpies
I the american version.

Its not meant to be like the British, its a different kind of comedy, which Im glad they went for, it would have been stupid to do a shameless ripoff of the UK version.

I love them both equally, and I probably prefer dwight over gareth.

The Office is the funniest show on television right now. The UK version was good, but I couldn't really get all the cultural references, and it seemed to be a bit too bleak. Still, I have to like it because without it there would be no US version. I don't like how all these british people are like "the US verison is bloody crap!" Stupid people make it into a cultural battle between the US and the UK, when really they are just two funny shows that don't get enough credit. If you don't like it, quit whining and don't watch it. The show is getting plenty of ratings without you, so don't worry about it.
Quote by hamish5178
The american one is stupid, especially the way they kept the same characters, but dumbed them down for america.

If anything, the characters in the US version are more complex. I don't know what you're smoking. Also, the US version has more characters.
The US version is hilarious. I've never seen the other, so I can't really speak for it. I think bashing America for stealing from your "superior" culture has gotten a bit stale, though.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Smokey Amp
British humour is just that, for the British. Americans don't understand it, so of course they shouldn't try to replicate it.

Still, I think the real version of the office is shit anyway.

Yeah, it's two different cultures. It's kinda like when I watch Who's Line is it Anyway? I almost piss myself I'm laughing so hard when I'm watching Ryan, Wayne, and Colin on the American version. When ever I happen to catch the British version I don't emit so much as a chuckle. Is it because it simply isn't funny? No. It just doesn't appeal to me. Pop-culture references are just different.
Speak for yourself- the US version is hilarious. The only funny thing on the UK version is the accents.
I think for the most part the British like the UK version better, and the Americans like the US version better. I'm American, and I've watched both, and while the UK Office is good, I much prefer the US version.

It's not just the style of comedy, but I think the workplace mentality is changed to suit the culture. Brits have a different approach to work as Yanks.

The same holds true for the German and French versions. It's just tailored to the culture and humour of who's watching it.
Can't stop the signal.
Page 1 of 2