I've got a jackson dk2m dinky which comes with a JB TB4 in the bridge and Jazz SH2N in the neck. I really, really like the clean sound of the Jazz in the neck and i want to put in an emg 81 in the bridge because like everyone else I like the crunchy, powerful sound of zakk wylde's guitar although i don't know if i can mix the passive and active pickups?

I was gonna get the zakk wylde setup and put an 85 in the neck but i've been told they sound bad when playing clean and metal isn't all I play. So I'm guessing if i could have the jazz in the neck and 81 in the bridge i couldn't play the two pickups at once?

Also, i've heard that by wiring in another battery and bumping up to 18v the emgs sound better but i guess having only one emg then 9v is gonna be enough?

Any help would be great,

Cheers dudes
1. It's not advisable to mix actives and passives. It's possible, but it's a crazy amount of work for a really small result.

2. Have you considered a different bridge pickup? If you want gain, try DiMarzio pickups, like the D Sonic or the Evo II.

3. The battery thing... ugh. It's a tiny difference at best, especially if you're not using a top-end tube amp.
/\ i agree, there are plenty of good passive pickups out there that you could use instead (personally i prefer passive pickups, i have the zakk wylde set and i think they sound sterile).

putting in another battery does not 'bump' it up to 18volts. 1. the batteries can only run at the voltage they are rated at (which is 9volts), and 2. it would simply make the battery life longer (although not double due to the way it would be wired).
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Mar 8, 2007,
As I said in the thread on the other forum, and I fully endorse this -

Seymour Duncan Custom.

A friend of mine off of another forum put it like this (Credited to Joe: "GearJoneser")

"The Custom sounds big and well balanced in a Paul, and it's hard not to like, although the cleans don't clean up as much. For highgain, it rules the roost, even more than the Distortion or Dime. Think Zakk Wylde."
archer, you can wire them in series or parallel, one would give double the battery life, one would give double the voltage.
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
1. It's not advisable to mix actives and passives. It's possible, but it's a crazy amount of work for a really small result.

2. Have you considered a different bridge pickup? If you want gain, try DiMarzio pickups, like the D Sonic or the Evo II.

3. The battery thing... ugh. It's a tiny difference at best, especially if you're not using a top-end tube amp.

+ several

Also, putting an EMG 81 in your guitar isn't going to make you sound like Zakk Wylde

Putting an EMG 81 in a Les Paul or other similar mahogany/maple top hard-tail guitar and running through a cranked Marshall tube amp will get you close, but out of those three the EMG is probably the least important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ArcherTheVMan
/\ i agree, there are plenty of good passive pickups out there that you could use instead (personally i prefer passive pickups, i have the zakk wylde set and i think they sound sterile).

putting in another battery does not 'bump' it up to 18volts. 1. the batteries can only run at the voltage they are rated at (which is 9volts), and 2. it would simply make the battery life longer (although not double due to the way it would be wired).

parallel wiring increases the battery life, wiring (2) 9V batteries in series will give you 18V.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks everyone but i think i'm going to stick with my setup and maybe fool around with my effects and amp to try and get a better sound coz it appears to be that the setup i have is decent. Anyone know any good tricks with this jazz 'n' jb setup?

I've got a marshall valvestate and a ax1500g for my effects so it's hardly gonna sound amazing through it lol.
Get the MXR Zakk Wylde distortion, it's much cheaper than any good new set of pickups, and will allow you to keep any tone about your guitar and amp combination that you already like.
agreed... while different pickups have their own slight tonal differences, at least 75 percent of your tone is from your amp and effects, so your best bet is, instead of investing the 150 dollars for an emg 81, use that money for a better distortion pedal, or a better head or cab, etc

by the way, kudos on the jackson dk2m... i have a dinky as well, very versatile and good quality for being made overseas
Jackson DKMG (EMG-HZ H4, Gain Switch)
Marshall MG100dfx Head
(Saving Up For A Marshal JCM2000 60 Watt TSL Tube Head)
Behringer BG412S Cabinet (400 watt)
Dude U should put a damn EMG hz A passive they sound gr8 u get a deep n fat clean and a a COB style death metal shred with those lil devilz
4got 2 mention my gear:

Cort Evl Series k4
randall 50 watts amp
line 6 spider 15 watts amp
line 6 floor pod
uber metal distortion
dunt need any other pedals

Btw dude: u should consider getting a b bender gr8 4 really high sustain
Quote by Lord Lustinhell
Dude U should put a damn EMG hz A passive they sound gr8 u get a deep n fat clean and a a COB style death metal shred with those lil devilz

EMG HZ pickups are crap. That's why they are put on the crappier models of guitars. Alexi Laiho's sig ESP is not as good as the Jackson rr24, and the EMG 81> EMG HZ.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Danno is right. Its not advisable to mix actives and passives together. Get a Bill Lawrence L500 or a Super Distortion or an Evolution pickup or something. All of those pickups are good.
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Quote by Lord Lustinhell

Damn mufukka youz be trippin yo, dem got dang mufukkin shit hell bitch fuk EMG hz A Passive am teh rokinroll yo dey make my penoose git rilly big coz alex lyho makes sexy def mettle gutare shr3dzoreds wif his gutairessfvash;l gosh darn them am the goodest pikups on da goldurn market ffs!!@$!@(%_)

LOLZ I AM POST MY GEAR NOW BECAUSE TOO STUPID TO USE SIGNATURE FEATURE OF VBULLETIN FORUM
SQUIERE STARTCOASTER
MAYORSHAWL MC ONE HUNDRED +THOUSANDZ
SIR MIX A LOT CDS
STRINGS
PICKS
WATER BOTTLE
LUNCHABLES
PLAID BOXER SHORTS
SUBSSCIPTIASOGHAGNON TO SPORTS ILLUSTARTED BUT I ONLY READS TEH SWIMSUT ISHUE LOFLWAFFLE

...moron.
Quote by steven seagull
+ several

Also, putting an EMG 81 in your guitar isn't going to make you sound like Zakk Wylde

Putting an EMG 81 in a Les Paul or other similar mahogany/maple top hard-tail guitar and running through a cranked Marshall tube amp will get you close, but out of those three the EMG is probably the least important.

agreed. the tube amp and the Mangohny are more important. EMGs are good pickups though
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join