yes
53 20%
no
102 39%
it should be optional
105 40%
Voters: 261.
Page 1 of 4
I think it should, because it teaches children about prejudice, morals, important moral debates, and teaches us respect people with different beliefs. But I know a lot of people (close minded fools who dont want to do it cos its "boorrriing") think this shouldnt be the case.

thought id ask the brutally honest population of UG.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well, it teaches us about different cultures and helps stop ignorance, so I guess so. I haven't studied RE since year nine though, and when I did it was mostly moral dilemmas on abortion and the like rather than actual religion.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I think it should be optional although it doesn't do any harm educating people about different religions to give people a proper basis on choosin their religious orientation.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
In schools? Yes
In biology? No

This coming from a creationist.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I don't really think so...I sit and laugh to myself inside when someone asks the teacher something (because we have to do RE once a week) and he'll go on about "How God [did something]" or "How God [did that because]"
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Yes, people should be educated on what religion is and how it works, it gives insight on important aspects of human thinking.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I agree it is worthwhile up to a certain point, but i would prefer that in more important years such as GCSE years (10 & 11), the time should be given for more (arguably) important subjects such as maths and english.

There are too many people who come out of school that have poor basic maths and english skills.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I'm an atheist, so I'm opposed to proselytizing, but teaching the basic beliefs of the major religions might be a good idea to prevent prejudice.
If it was the major beliefs of the major 6 religions (I know theres more but doing them all would be unnecessary and impossible) however all we do now in RE is; moral dilemma - christians think (we generalise christians into one group, and say they all think the same and this for a non stereotyping and prejudice lesson) and muslims think (again we are told they all believe the same thing) and then give your opinion. It does seem pretty pointless it doesn't really teach tolerance or understanding it just focuses on two religions and we don't really ewven learn the fundamental morals of either religion.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I dont think so. I live in Montreal, so at my school we have maybe ten different religions. If there's a catholic religion course (assuming that is the one you were suggesting, threadstarter) people who have different religion's wouldnt be very happy. Neither their parents.

PS: excuse me if my english is poor, im a quebecker
No, not in public schools. I believe in seperation of church and state.
Although it kind of depends. I think if you're in history and you're learning about a certain culture or something like that, it's OK to learn the basics about their religion. But there shouldn't be religion classes if that's what you mean.
Yes.

It expands the beliefs, and understanding of other cultures etc. Letting them get into the mindset of why people do different things, that perhaps people of their culture wouldn't do normally. Maybe learning something good and new.

Assuming they're not some little dick head, that is determined not to listen.
Last edited by Dobzilla at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by neidnarb11890
No, not in public schools. I believe in seperation of church and state.
Although it kind of depends. I think if you're in history and you're learning about a certain culture or something like that, it's OK to learn the basics about their religion. But there shouldn't be religion classes if that's what you mean.

Separation of church and state means that the government doesn't enforce religion or adopt a national religion. Ignoring one of the most significant driving forces in human history just because it might offend someone is moronic.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Are you ****ing serius man. Religious stuff is a waste of time. Ecspecially when you don't beilieve in anything.
My Gear:
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Marshall MG series 250 DFX
It should be optional.

I think that morals and respect for other people should be taught by the parents. Religious education wont help people to respect other peoples cultures. Discipline does. Its up to parents to teach tolerance, morals and respect for their fellow man.

Religious education should be optional also for people with an interest in religion. When I was younger I didnt care about religious education, it just wasnt important to me. However, that doesnt mean I dont respect other peoples cultures, religions, way of life etc because I do, but there are people who have an interest in it and it should be made available to everyone on an optional basis.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Being aware of all major religions is important, but it should be taught from an impartial point of view.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by JoshRidesBikes
no.
Math/science/history-Fact
Religion-fiction

Religion - Most significant driving force in the history of humanity
i believe it should be optional. i agree with the morals and understanding of other cultures they teach about in RE, but the student should be able to choose between RE and an extra period of another subject, especially in GCSE years where people need all the time they can get for each subject.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I think it should be optional. It definately shouldn't be required because school is learning about fact. Even though religion is widely accepted as fact by many people, there is no real proof to back it up. I'm not saying it's not possible, but what we learn in school should only be what we can back up with hard evidence. If you really want to learn religion so badly just join a catholic school (or whatever religion you are). Honestly in my opinion it shouldn't be taught in school because it contradicts many things that are taught in other classes. If your science class is teaching you about how an organism may have evolved over time, and then next period you are learning that God rules everything and everything was created as it is now, nothing has evolved, you will be split between which one to believe and end up not learning as much as you could be.
I'm not really for RE, but I think it should still be taught to teach kids about different cultures, morals etc. IMO, I think that it should be compulsory up until year 10.

EDIT:
Quote by Nick_04
Religion is the cause of all war.

Better be ready to back that up.
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Mar 8, 2007,
I hated it but I reckon it probably should be taught.
When I had it, it always ended up being bias to christianity because half my teachers were vicars etc. so that sucked
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
Religion is the cause of all war.
My Gear:
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Quote by GHJ
Being aware of all major religions is important, but it should be taught from an impartial point of view.

Agreed, otherwise you'll just be shoving religious dogma down the class's throat.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Should children, any children, be taught (in public or private) to believe that the teachings of any faith have any validity whatsoever? Absolutely fucking not. No. These beliefs have no acceptable basis and should be given precisely zero respect in public spheres. Indeed, I don't trust parents or private schools to teach children acceptable things. Most people shouldn't be parents, but until we can enforce such a restriction, we should at least be able to take children away from their parents for awhile and expose them to intelligent ideas.

Should children be taught about religious beliefs, or history? I'd say certainly, even more so because I believe it's all bunk.

Brutally honest enough for you?
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Should the various religions of the world be studied in the classroom to reduce ignorance and increase tolerances? Hell yes. Should these religions be actually TAUGHT? Hell no.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Should the various religions of the world be studied in the classroom to reduce ignorance and increase tolerances? Hell yes. Should these religions be actually TAUGHT? Hell no.

+1

Studying it is completely different from learning it.
Quote by BodaciousZac
That's just ignorant.

It's true and you know it.
My Gear:
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Quote by Nick_04
It's true and you know it.

Complete bullshit.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Religion - Most significant driving force in the history of humanity

I suppose that's why we are such a fucked up species.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honors Comparative Religions was one of the most valuable classes I've EVER taken. I learned about all the major religions, and now I can go through the world with a little more perspective and a little less ignorance. I can't believe anyone would willfully want to be ignorant of the belief of millions of people.
Quote by AzureNight
I suppose that's why we are such a fucked up species.

Yes well, I'm an anthropocentrist, so everyone knows where I stand on that issue.
Page 1 of 4