As most of you here on UG, I love music. From start to finish, music is the majority of my life. So here's what my question/commenting has come down to...

I really want to do something with music. Specifically, producing and recording bands. I love the feeling I get when I record & mix my friends/other bands, music. It's like I accomplished something, without actually writing the material myself. However, I know if I got into the recording business, I would not get to pick and choose who I record (for the most part).

Lets say I like jazz and blues, but a emo pop-punk band wants to be recorded. I don't think I could get past the fact that I hate that music with a passion. Like most people, I like what I like, and nothing really gets past that (even money).

Do you think it's worth going to college and taking all the steps towards the music business, with me knowing I might hate some of the bands I might be working with.

Is it worth it (In your opinion)?

Or am I missing something here. It sounds like a one-sided argument, but I want to know if anyone else is under-going the same predicaments I'm facing, and what's your outlook on it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Yeah go to college man, or you'll get nowhere. Also you have to learn to respect different types of music, its part of being a musician. I'm afraid if you want to be a producer you have to do these things, even if you dont like it. And who knows they might even grow on you after a while.

Go for it mate, but you will have to do things you dont like so much, im afraid.
^ thanks dude.

I guess I don't "hate" certain genres, I just prefer others. haha, and I plan on going to college, I just don't know if I want to major in that specifically.
Well, consider your other options. Would you like to rather sit at a desk doing paperwork or w/e instead of getting to do what you love, atleast on the occasional band?

I've accepted that working is going to suck, so I'm just going for something with alotta free time and reasonable pay so that I can concentrate on what I want to actually do on my free time.

Hope it helped.
I only do music at college and i'm tellin ya this - it ****ing rules!!

I seriously reccomend you do music primarily. If you want to make ALOT of money for sure, its not the best idea. But if you want a job in music because of your pure love for music, and dont mind about having an average income, then go for it.
It depends on what your doing. My course is B-TEC popular music. Basically, the main thing is your put into bands, and you get to do gigs with that band and explore different types of music and write original music with them. Also there are various other things like MIDI assignments and history of music essays, stuff like that.
An average day for me is an hour and a half practice with the band, then maybe a history of music lesson, or a MIDI lesson. We also have recording once a week where we go into the studio and record with the band, and learn about the recording equiptment and software. I also get free guitar lessons once a week which is awesome.

Sorry that might have bin a bit vague but all in all its pretty damn good!
Dude, you're only 16 going on 17, and you're in college?

Well, guitarjunkie, if that's what you wanna do, then go for it, but it is very risky. I know some people that have music degrees that work at Chic-fil-A full time. I recommend going to college for something else, and do music on the side, because you should always have something to fall back on.

But of course, it's your decision. None of us can make it for you.
No, I'm 17 almost 18 (in a few weeks) I graduated early in January though. But yeah, I know what your saying. I'm planning on doing a minor in business management, general crap.
If you don't take the music seriously and bunk off alot, hand in half assed assignments in late, stuff like that, then youre not gunna do well. I know too many people like that. Commit yourself, however, and you will get a job in music. Guaranteed.

But yeah it could be a good idea to do another degree too, i wouldnt know.
i have the same problem. i want to do music. but im not sure what exactly to major in. i dont know what classes to take and what i want to do exactly.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Quote by y2james2007 :p
It depends on what your doing. My course is B-TEC popular music. Basically, the main thing is your put into bands, and you get to do gigs with that band and explore different types of music and write original music with them. Also there are various other things like MIDI assignments and history of music essays, stuff like that.
An average day for me is an hour and a half practice with the band, then maybe a history of music lesson, or a MIDI lesson. We also have recording once a week where we go into the studio and record with the band, and learn about the recording equiptment and software. I also get free guitar lessons once a week which is awesome.

Sorry that might have bin a bit vague but all in all its pretty damn good!

thats sound awesome. but what does that do for the future?
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
^Well the main thing is it gets you into university. The experience, also, is incredble for a musician. You learn alot about recording, so you could be a sound engineer, producer, music technician...then also you could be a sound man at venues, or you could get into a good professional band and earn alot that way (so a performer) errrm you could even teach music...basically if you want a job in music, getting a degree in uni is what you need, mainly. Then youre very likely to get a reasonable job in music, if you apply yourself.

Personally, as long as i have a good job in music, im not bothered about making a significant amount of money. I just want to enjoy myself, you know? If youre not like me then its a good idea of having other prospects. I cant tell you what to do but ill reccomend doing only music at college from experience. Do what you want though man.
Quote by y2james2007 :p
^Well the main thing is it gets you into university. The experience, also, is incredble for a musician. You learn alot about recording, so you could be a sound engineer, producer, music technician...then also you could be a sound man at venues, or you could get into a good professional band and earn alot that way (so a performer) errrm you could even teach music...basically if you want a job in music, getting a degree in uni is what you need, mainly. Then youre very likely to get a reasonable job in music, if you apply yourself.

Personally, as long as i have a good job in music, im not bothered about making a significant amount of money. I just want to enjoy myself, you know? If youre not like me then its a good idea of having other prospects. I cant tell you what to do but ill reccomend doing only music at college from experience. Do what you want though man.

What college do attend to take uni?
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Oh, i go to fareham college. It's amazing for music, the lecturers are really experienced and the equiptment there is great. I reccomend, if youre looking for a college, to find a decent one in your area. If you really work hard then you could get into a good uni whatever college you go to. Just make sure the lecturers know what theyre on about!